Old 09-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
In all seriousness, do you guys REALLY think the USCG is going to be out there measuring the frequency of your horn?

IMHO I equate horns to testosterone levels with a direct inverse relationship. The smaller the "tool" and the lower the testosterone level, the bigger and louder the horn is going to be.

Sort of like the old saying: "Got a small dick, buy a Corvette."

I have no idea the frequency of my horns. They're loud. At least the last time I blew them, which was a couple of years ago, they were loud. That just suits me fine.

Would I spend a boat buck to replace them if they died? Hell no. I'd rather spend that boat buck on diesel.
I don't feel too guilty anymore about wondering if the loud horn thing was a height issue.

I'm glad that no one in my marina toots their horn. That would be very annoying to those just relaxing on their boats if every boat leaving and returning blasts their horns.

mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #42
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
The Admiral is resisting me on these horns (Chimes). I think I will just sneak them on the boat.

Loud Mouth Triple Train Horn 120 PSI Kit – Train Horns USA

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
The week I bought my horns, my wife was teasing me calling them 'wind chimes'. When they arrived, I hooked them up to a jump start battery in the dining room. Without warning, I sounded the horn. Without warning, that Sharpie pen missed me by ...... that much!

She hasn't called them wind chimes since, though!!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #44
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
The Admiral is resisting me on these horns (Chimes). I think I will just sneak them on the boat.

Loud Mouth Triple Train Horn 120 PSI Kit – Train Horns USA

You won't regret it, I got a pair of train horns in my truck, they are great!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #45
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
In all seriousness, do you guys REALLY think the USCG is going to be out there measuring the frequency of your horn?
Unlikely. But what if you are involved in a collision and an investigator discovers that your whistle is not "legal"?

Keith
Old 09-22-2015, 07:34 PM   #46
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Unlikely. But what if you are involved in a collision and an investigator discovers that your whistle is not "legal"?

Keith
Really? So a horn sounds and someone goes "oh I think it is a bigger/smaller vessel based on Hz so I will ignore it.." and cause a collision? Can't see an investigation hinging on that detail.

Mariners pay attention to all horns.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #47
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Not a completely unlikely scenario. However, if your horn are "dang loud", my guess is that the % amount of liability added to your side of the equation based on the horn frequency would be relatively minor.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:55 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Not a completely unlikely scenario. However, if your horn are "dang loud", my guess is that the % amount of liability added to your side of the equation based on the horn frequency would be relatively minor.
Well there you go - your guess is that violating the ColRegs for the single most important piece of signaling gear is "relatively minor" issue. Everyone with non-standard equipment can rest easier tonight!

Keith
Old 09-23-2015, 12:32 AM   #49
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Murray, those shorty horns are very loud but they sound like a big frog fart. I've never actually heard a frog fart, but if they do, it sounds like that horn.
Maybe Possum needs one?
Old 09-23-2015, 12:38 AM   #50
Guru

Go play here Schmitt & Ongaro Boat Horns | Boat Horn Sounds | Marine Parts
I wish there were more to try.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:16 AM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Well there you go - your guess is that violating the ColRegs for the single most important piece of signaling gear is "relatively minor" issue. Everyone with non-standard equipment can rest easier tonight!
Keith, I must have been unclear as to the intent of my post. Completely my fault I am sure. I will try to clarify.

My point, poorly made to be sure, wasn't that anyone should use a non-standard piece of equipment. It also wasn't my intent to imply that using equipment that didn't meet the COLREG requirements was a minor issue.

What I was trying to say (again obviously not very well) was that in the very unfortunate event of a collision there would be some type of adjudication to determine the level of responsibility for each of the involved parties. My understanding is that it is not generally an all or nothing determination. ie one party is not normally found to be 100% at fault with the other bearing no shared responsibility. Fault is often apportioned on a percentage basis.

Given that, I would imagine (and I could be completely wrong) that if a horn was loud and applied appropriately by one of the parties involved, that if the horn was found during the subsequent investigation to have, for example, a fundamental frequency of 245 Hz instead of 250 Hz that the fact didn't meet the COLREG requirements wouldn't appreciably increase that skipper's liability.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-23-2015, 06:07 AM   #52
FF
Guru

Air , electric or canned , there will come a time when it does notbwork.

Have a human powered back up?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #53
Guru

Quote:
What I was trying to say (again obviously not very well) was that in the very unfortunate event of a collision there would be some type of adjudication to determine the level of responsibility for each of the involved parties. My understanding is that it is not generally an all or nothing determination. ie one party is not normally found to be 100% at fault with the other bearing no shared responsibility. Fault is often apportioned on a percentage basis.
I would agree that conforms to my general understanding admiralty / maritime law. But I've also seen anecdotal cases where seemingly whacky (to us) determinations were made as to contributing factors.

Quote:
Given that, I would imagine (and I could be completely wrong) that if a horn was loud and applied appropriately by one of the parties involved, that if the horn was found during the subsequent investigation to have, for example, a fundamental frequency of 245 Hz instead of 250 Hz that the fact didn't meet the COLREG requirements wouldn't appreciably increase that skipper's liability.
Honestly, that's not scenario I was envisioning. I'm thinking of someone on this forum who says "I use a train whistle - I know it's not the right tone but I love the way other boaters jump" - and having to defend that statement in a wrongful death civil lawsuit.
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Honestly, that's not scenario I was envisioning. I'm thinking of someone on this forum who says "I use a train whistle - I know it's not the right tone but I love the way other boaters jump" - and having to defend that statement in a wrongful death civil lawsuit.
Yeah, that might create more of a problem.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-23-2015, 10:57 PM   #55
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Have a human powered back up?
A good idea but it would have to be done after I'd eaten a healthy serving of Campbells Pork and Beans. I'm sure nobody would stick around long enough to determine if the frequency was right or not.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:08 AM   #56
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
A good idea but it would have to be done after I'd eaten a healthy serving of Campbells Pork and Beans. I'm sure nobody would stick around long enough to determine if the frequency was right or not.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:13 AM   #57
Guru

I'm sorry, if I hadn't posted it, RTF would have.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:03 AM   #58
FF
Guru

Its far easier to blow on a horn than stand outside and scream for a few hours.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #59
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Regarding the 'legality' of what frequency used: Several years ago a USCG Ice Breaker collided with a Block Island ferry in -0- vis

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/A...ts/MAR1101.pdf

The USCG vessel was found predominantly at fault because they were using the electric hailer on 'fog signal' which did NOT meet the correct characteristics for their size vessel and it did not have the range necessary too. Note the attached report that says "MINIMUM" decibels. Pg 26.

The Morro Bay switched to the normal air horn just prior to collision.

So legally the 'post accident investigation' is where this would be checked out. Are you a gambling sort of person? As another recent post showed, having gotten underway with multiple violations of Colregs (ignorance) does not make the issue less valid.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:42 PM   #60
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Regarding the 'legality' of what frequency used: Several years ago a USCG Ice Breaker collided with a Block Island ferry in -0- vis

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/A...ts/MAR1101.pdf

The USCG vessel was found predominantly at fault because they were using the electric hailer on 'fog signal' which did NOT meet the correct characteristics for their size vessel and it did not have the range necessary too. Note the attached report that says "MINIMUM" decibels. Pg 26.

The Morro Bay switched to the normal air horn just prior to collision.

So legally the 'post accident investigation' is where this would be checked out. Are you a gambling sort of person? As another recent post showed, having gotten underway with multiple violations of Colregs (ignorance) does not make the issue less valid.
An electric hailer speaker produces NO WHERE NEAR the dB of an air horn. I bet that incident hinged more on dB than Hz.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote