Air compressors, what do you have

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roguewave

Guru
Vessel Name
bout’ time
Vessel Make
Grady White 282 Sailfish
air compressor on a boat seems to be something we would need for all manor of things. Curious as to what y'all are running? 12V or 110, size is important (as in small), and a fairly decent PSI/CFM rating is a plus.

110 volt, 1.5 hp, ~3cfm @ ~90psi. Oil less and no tank. Mostly used with the hookah.

Attachments

• air compressor.jpg
    air compressor.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 111
My sporty has a compact twin 12 VDC compressor mounted to a dual tank unit. It was a cheapy chinese 120 v air compressor in a previous life. I removed the 120v motor/compressor and replaced it with a pair of 12v permanent magnet oilless compressors, the type used for air bag systems on "low riders" to get enough volume. I used the pressure switch that came with the unit originally and wired it into a 60 amp relay box that has a pair of relays to run the compressors. Each compressor has its own breaker. Its all mounted in the engine room. It has enough air volume to run a hooka rig for hull cleaning/maintenance, air tools, etc. The only air using device on the boat is the horn. A lesser reason for 2 compressors was redundancy. If one goes out I still have compressed air.

Greetings,
Mr. rw. I just bought a small compressor to keep aboard-go figure...
Husky 3 gal. Portable Electric Oil-Lubricant Air Compressor with Combo Kit-BS1003 - The Home Depot

During our recent re-paint I had the use of a much larger machine and I brought a number of my air tools (scraper, die grinder, cut-off wheel, spray gun, spot sand blaster etc.) on board to be used during the re-refurbishments. Left the compressor behind when we moved marinas but procrastinated about taking the air tools home. Soooo....bring the tools home or buy a compressor? Hahahahaha! Stupid question right?
The above unit will not allow prolonged/continuous usage of a die grinder, for example because of the small storage tank and the larger air consumption of the grinder, but it will provide sufficient air for short usages. One has to wait for the tank to refill between "bursts" but with patience, it does the job.
I've actually found a spot in the ER for semi-permanent placement. For total boat coverage I just have to run a longer air hose to the work site.
Comparatively speaking, air tools are cheaper than electrical and much more efficient, in most cases, than manual tools.
Being an oil unit it CANNOT be used for Hookah diving. My Hookah unit is a self contained, stand alone device.

Last edited:
air compressor on a boat seems to be something we would need for all manor of things. Curious as to what y'all are running? 12V or 110, size is important (as in small), and a fairly decent PSI/CFM rating is a plus.

I use these a lot. They are dental compressors. Very, very quiet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 118
Cheap Home Depot style pancake compressor in engine room, 110V. Plumbed to air chuck on back deck and to air horn. Very handy pumping up dink, bike tires and hyd steering. Those coiled yellow hoses can stretch far enough to reach from back deck to dink.

Have a 110-volt compressor (with tank) for powering the horns.

Just put a small Senco 110 volt for 100 bucks . Like the nail gun Senco . Small tank . I put it in mainly for the air horn . I only get 1 decent blast with it before it kicks on again but it works and very handy to have air on board .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I use a small compressor for the horns only. I doubt it could provide much air for anything else. I also carry a small 12V portable air pump for filling inflatables.

img_341839_0_7a23a80bbd8bcc3b333c74ebe45fb08b.jpg

Scuba tank with 1st stage regulator set @ 120 psi. Maybe when I start cruising I'll buy a compressor. It offers low maintenance and a quality of product no <250 psi compressor can come close to.

Ted

120 volt, 20 gallon, 150 psi. Probably a bit to large, but it's nice to have a few air tools.

Conall

Thanks all, think I'm going to order a senco, as a former carpenter I've used their products for years.

120 volt, 20 gallon, 150 psi. Probably a bit to large, but it's nice to have a few air tools.

Conall

:thumb: Yes, on the air tools. That's the one thing I miss since my compressor does not have a tank. I can spray paint but my air tools are useless.

:thumb: Yes, on the air tools. That's the one thing I miss since my compressor does not have a tank. I can spray paint but my air tools are useless.

Any room for a 5-10 gallon portable tank that you can plumb in-line?

That is my plan...more volume, the tank is portable and silent for small jobs like airbrushing, filling inflatables, etc....

Any room for a 5-10 gallon portable tank that you can plumb in-line?

That is my plan...more volume, the tank is portable and silent for small jobs like airbrushing, filling inflatables, etc....

Something I have been thinking about but... :)

filling inflatables, etc....

Most boats have a shop vac on board , and it will inflate or deflate a condom boat very rapidly.

My shopvac won't quite get the dink fully inflated. Gets it full but still squishy. The compressor is slower, but there is a trick: Aim the blow nozzle about an inch from the fill port. The venturi effect entrains air near the small jet and multiplies the flow rate. When near full this effect falls apart. Then stuff a rag around blow nozzle to keep air going in the right direction. Thanks Mr Bernoulli.

My shopvac won't quite get the dink fully inflated. Gets it full but still squishy. The compressor is slower, but there is a trick: Aim the blow nozzle about an inch from the fill port. The venturi effect entrains air near the small jet and multiplies the flow rate. When near full this effect falls apart. Then stuff a rag around blow nozzle to keep air going in the right direction. Thanks Mr Bernoulli.

We use this same trick! :thumb::thumb:

Maybe this is a good place to ask - do any TFers use air-starters on their main engines?

Maybe this is a good place to ask - do any TFers use air-starters on their main engines?

Not popular until you get to a very big engine. The problem with air start is you can only crank briefly before air tank is empty. On one boat with a 14 liter engine and an air tank about 40? gal, it could only crank about 10 seconds. Injection was airbound and I was trying to reprime it. Took forever.

Batteries hold MUCH more energy.

I installed a Senco #PC1010 1/2 hp compressor to supply the air for a hooka system. This was to enable me to dive the bottom of the boat for repairs and barnacle removal. Unfortunately I had been a heavy smoker in my early days and the 1/2hp unit could not keep up with my impaired breathing. I replaced it with the Senco #PC0968 1-1/2 hp unit which does the trick with air to spare.

Both of the above are oil-less compressors and available from Amazon amongst other vendors. Prices about $110 and $170 respectively.

If you are tempted by the larger #PC0968, be careful as Amazon directs you to a later less expensive model which appears to be oil-lubricated (and hence dangerous as a source of breathing air).

Two 20ft lengths of Brownies air hose and a second stage scuba regulator (mouthpiece) complete the setup.

The pic below is the larger 1-1/2hp unit installed in a stateroom locker. The hoses (when washed and dried) plus all the bits and pieces live there too.

Attachments

• Compressor-2.jpg
    Compressor-2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 66
Hi,
Mine stays on the boat.
Runs the horn and window wiper, supplies air for
fenders and charging the domestic water system.
Ted

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 66
Not to start a drift or anything, but what kind of volume tank do you need for the air horns? Can your compressor simply supply the air fast enough?

I think the air system likely had other uses originally.
The compressor is a two cylinder DeVilbis, the drive motor is
behind it where I can't read the specs but it appears to be larger
than the compressor, is 110v DC with a 'soft start' system.
Horn is relatively small,high pitched and loud (penetrating?).
Ted

Not to start a drift or anything, but what kind of volume tank do you need for the air horns? Can your compressor simply supply the air fast enough?

I suppose it depends on the horns. My K380s have a small compressor and tank, but an optional centrifugal compressor without tank is available. My tank is about 12 in x 4 in.

These horns don't take very much air to operate but it's nice to have an air supply available at the ready for immediate horn use without the delay of a pump starting up and building up the pressure.

I have a tank about 9 inches by 2.5 feet. It is sufficient for about five prolonged (four-second) blasts if the air compressor is off, but then the air horns (Kahlenberg D1) have about four times the power (twice the range) of most in my boat size.

so Mark, thats about an 8 gallon tank you have there if my math is correct.

Al, we have a similar little motor that has a slight delay and sounds weak - thus the interest in compressor/tank requirements

Thanks guys

-Gabe

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom