Age of trawler dudes and dudettes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How old are you?

• Under 21....just a kid still...look, i'm 35 and still and always a kid

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • 21-35....ok, a little older, working hard, dreaming.

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • 36-45....probably so busy with family and young kids no time for anything

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • 45-55....omg aren't these kids ever going to be on their own and why must I work so hard

Votes: 36 19.6%
  • 55-65....I can see retirement in my future...or maybe I can retire early...

Votes: 74 40.2%
  • 65-75....Finally peace. Wish my body could keep up with my mind

Votes: 52 28.3%
  • 75-100....pinching myself. Life is wonderful even when it isn't. I'm thankful for each day

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • 100+....ok, couldn't resist...and no smart alecks pick this...that means you RTF..no no no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Late to the game here...

Turning 51 very soon. Single dad these past 3 years with my younger daughter heading to college this fall. Retirement is a way off, but I'm really enjoying what I'm doing (higher education) so that's ok. Bought my boat now with the expectation that I'll find time to cruise before I retire - intending to cruise to Alaska. Ended up buying the boat in Alaska and cruising her home - so that was a surprise. I hope to take off a summer in a couple of years and head back up there and spend some quality time. In the meantime I'll cruise the SF Bay and Pacific Coast on the weekends and a few weeks each year. I also plan to try living aboard once my daughter leaves for college.

Richard

I'm 44 and the wife is 42. We started dating when I was 20 (went to HS together, but didn't date until after we graduated). Was a late bloomer, having too much fun in my 20s, so got a late start on a career. Finished college at 27 and started grad school with an eye toward my current career at 29. Started my current career at 32 with a major firm making more money that I ever thought possible. Paid down our school loans then made a jump to what I consider a dream job eight years ago. Took a 50% pay cut, but love what I do. The wife is now an elementary education teacher, and also started late like me.

We don't have kids and are quite frugal (not cheap mind you). Saving like mad, buying lots of dividend stocks, and hope to retire no later than 60. Wish we could do it earlier, but then again I had some great experiences in my 20s so "no regrets" (my favorite saying).

One thing I've noticed is how many here were able to retire early. I bet that there is a clear corelation between a love of boating/cruising and desire to be away from the daily grind as young as possible. As much as I love my job, I do look forward to the day we can cut the lines, sell our place the city and point the bow to destinations yet to be determined.

• 56 wife 51 can see retirement in my future...or maybe I can retire early...

I'm 56 and wife is 55. Married at 20 - for me - and still going after 36 years!

We love our 3wk old live aboard life!!!

Greetings,
Mr. frg. I think this Aug. will be our 45th year of wedded bliss. The admiral is a saint. A saint I tell you...

Greetings,
Mr. frg. I think this Aug. will be our 45th year of wedded bliss. The admiral is a saint. A saint I tell you...

Mine is too. Wouldn't even be alive without her.

Mine is too. Wouldn't even be alive without her.

Hubby B: We're only approaching 14 years, but hope for 100. Your statement above really hit me. I would probably be breathing, eating, sleeping, working but I wouldn't truly be alive without my wife. My life changed the day I met her.

I love hearing from those of you with 30+ and 40+ years.

I'm 58 and still get shocked every time I see my picture and I'm clearly not 18 years old. My wife is 53. Moved to the PNW in 1998 but didn't get a boat until 2010. We love spending time on the water and are actively discussing an early retirement, selling our house, living on the boat in the summers and living on Maui in the winters. Rob

Back
Top Bottom