Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How old are you?
Under 21....just a kid still...look, i'm 35 and still and always a kid 2 1.10%
21-35....ok, a little older, working hard, dreaming. 5 2.75%
36-45....probably so busy with family and young kids no time for anything 12 6.59%
45-55....omg aren't these kids ever going to be on their own and why must I work so hard 36 19.78%
55-65....I can see retirement in my future...or maybe I can retire early... 73 40.11%
65-75....Finally peace. Wish my body could keep up with my mind 51 28.02%
75-100....pinching myself. Life is wonderful even when it isn't. I'm thankful for each day 3 1.65%
100+....ok, couldn't resist...and no smart alecks pick this...that means you RTF..no no no 0 0%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #21
City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
53.. retired at 30.. went cruising across the Pacific.. lived for 3 years

I have been paying for that for the last 21 years.. it was worth every cent!

hollywood8118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member
City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
54 and mostly retiring 3 weeks from today. Starting the loop in the fall.

Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #23
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Just turned 50. Semi-retired. Plan to sell the car lot to my right hand man in 3 years and be fully retired.

Wife is 49, and she has her own consulting business. She enjoys working much more than me at this point.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:08 PM   #24
City: Tampa
58 and the term retirement is relative to me.

Took an early retirement to start a business in line with my career. Later started another business more in line with my true love of boating, yet still including many of the skills from my previous life.

For now I'm strapped to both of them, but I've made the conscious decision to work less, delegate more, and spend more time on and around boats and the water, and working more on the training business.

Of course the admiral to be keeps reminding me that we need a boat, and who am I to argue? (LOL)
So I'm always looking for the right one.as everyone here says, you'll know it when it's right.

Don't really see myself as a true year round live aboard; however, I'm in pretty good shape, so if all continues to go well, and it's in God's plan, I'll be underway more often than not by the time I'm 60.

Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #25
City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
66, the admiral is 59. I retired at 51 and sailed to Mexico twice, We came back to take care of elderly parents and swallowed the anchor 7 years ago. My father in law passed away three weeks ago and we see a future on the water again, possibly with my 81 yr old mother in law.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member
City: Beijing, PRC
44 and living in an area where boats aren't an option. Six more years until my youngest heads to college (fingers crossed). Dreaming at this point, but still making plans
Dubnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:01 AM   #27
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
53.. retired at 30.. went cruising across the Pacific.. lived for 3 years

I have been paying for that for the last 21 years.. it was worth every cent!

Sounds familiar. I was 'semi-retired' until the age of 32 when I got a permanent full time job for the first time. Up until then it was seasonal work, contract jobs, traveling, hiking, climbing, fine art and photography schools, and sea kayaking.

After the full time job came the house, then the daughter. Not the norm, but have some great memories of epic adventures when young and strong which will more important than money in the end.
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:15 AM   #28
City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
59 and still working . Maybe retire in 6 years and do some part time wood working .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #29
City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Tuscan Sun
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I'm 59 and my wife is a year younger. I spent almost 29 years in the Navy and will have the 10 years of civil service I need to retire for the second, and final, time on October 31st of this year. We will start heading down the ICW to Florida on November 1st. No more winter for us!

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:42 AM   #30
Veteran Member
City: Winterport
I am 61 and my husband is 69. I am retired and he is wrapping up his at home business. He will take some cases while aboard. We are waiting for our real estate to sell in Maine then going aboard, hopefully this summer. Can't wait.
Mainetrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:34 AM   #31
City: Tennessee River
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Vessel Model: Trans Pac Eagle 32
62 Quit work last Sept.,still trying to get into the full retirement mode. Got my retirement home in Feb.(32' Eagle). Now waiting for spring weather to calm down to really get to enjoy it.
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #32
85 but still delivering boats,but slowed down quite a bit,getting ready to pack it in
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #33
City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
63 - Retired from the Army after 27 yrs, 17 yrs ago I think? Built up a ranch. Bought our trawler 2 yrs ago. Working both. The Boat is a lot of work, but not near as bad as what I do here in Montana. We are selling off the livestock, the place is on the market & we are both looking forward to sailing to Mexico.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #34
City: Trenton
Both early 60's. Retiring permanently in a year or so. Both tried retirement in our early 50's when we quit our jobs and went for a summer cruise. Looking forward to making that an annual event.
Al Johnson
34' Marine Trader
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #35
City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
We're 67 & 66 and mostly retired. retired early (53) and have worked at some things that are mostly fun.
Bought a heavy duty machine and started doing my own canvas work (2 boats & motorhome) - that lead to doing it for friends & others.
Mostly a hobby business now... especially since buying a boat with NO CANVAS.
I also continue part time consulting (20-30 days / yr) instructing 3-4 project mgmt courses for my previous employer.
IMHO retiring early and continuing to work ON YOUR OWN TERMS is attractive!
MS 34 HT Trawler
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #36
City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
40 and the admiral is 39. Our oldest is in college, and our youngest has 6 years to get there. We have always planned on retiring and cruising on a sailboat. Wisdom comes with age, and here we are with a trawler. All we need is to retire, which will come in 10-15 years.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #37
City: Fort Lauderdale
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
IMHO retiring early and continuing to work ON YOUR OWN TERMS is attractive!
Wifey B: Oh I think you hit something there. We were going to retire. I didn't see hubby doing it completely. He loved his work and he always balanced it. But he's a businessman at heart in so many ways. So...ummm...it was well, consult maybe a day or so every month or two for ex boss, then...ok, maybe one or two very small businesses, just owning them and someone else running them. Inside I giggled. Went from one or two....up and up, not about to say how far up. But hired great people and we've been able to do it all our way. Meanwhile I still love helping put in reading programs, in schools, for groups, wherever and I do it strictly on volunteer for free basis. But now our businesses are just his way of mentoring others, of proving some points, and one great hobby. That's what it can be when ON YOUR OWN TERMS, a hobby.

It's like our avocation is boating. Our hobbies are music, tennis, basketball, business owner, consulting, reading program developer.

It's fun being able to pick your spots. Just one caveat. Got to remember to say "no" too.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:53 AM   #38

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
I'm 50, the admiral is 54.
We sold up what we had 2 1/2 years ago to buy the boat, and go cruising. We're empty nesters, although this is the first time I have ever used that term, or written it down, or even thought about it?? So yeah, more cruising lies ahead, Inshallah.
I seem to go through $$ like it's water, so I guess I'll always be working some time of the year. I enjoy what I do (working offshore on a boat) so we'll keep things going like this for as long as they'll have me.
Andy & Julie Nemier
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #39
City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Seventy and flunking retirement. Retired 5 years ago and was approached by another company and took an interesting job. Plan to retire again at the end of this year. If I want to be single all I need to do is mention the age of my Admiral.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #40
TF Site Team
City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
I am 60 and Michelle is 48, both retired when I was 52. The pay sucks but the hours are great! Full time cruising the last year or two and will continue to do so until I can no longer safely get around the boat or the beer runs out. Whichever comes first.

You never really learn to swear until you become a boat owner!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote