Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #41
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendit View Post
We have just sanded and antifouled Pioneer's 50 ft hull. I'm 62 and found it to be very hard work - a smaller boat would be nice at these times.
Bendit: I couldn't help be intrigued by your vessel being hid in such darkness, so I Photoshopped it to get a better look. That's a very nice vessel you have. Your welcome to use the lighter version for your avatar is you wish.
Attached Images

healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #42
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Well Im 34 so with a bit of luck, I won't swallow the pick for a while yet!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
"You know you're getting old when you bend down to tie your shoe and wonder what else you can get done while you're down there"
Or when you can`t remember why you bent down.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Bayfield, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I'll disagree as most writings of the cruising lifestyle point towards just the opposite...it's a healthy, not sedentary lifestyle...I have to agree as many days I'm pretty tired at the end of the day from pushing carts up/down ramps full of groceries, etc....scrambling around decks to tie up, anchor, launch the dingy, haul the gas cans...ok so it's not bricklaying but then maybe it's how you cruise.

Most older sailors sail in a style which is rarely more energetic than raising and lowering the sail more than once a day...I have two good sailor friends that are all over trawlers now that I have one...not because of the work but because of inside steering and they run their engine darn near as much as I do.

Most chores are similar and the list is ling unless you have a large crew and the tasks are split.

The average suburbanite plops on the couch with a beer till dinner...just kidding but cruising take just as much effort...maybe more than home ownership.
First, some background.................
I'll be 70 three weeks from today. That will mark 63 years of sailing. Got my first sailboat on my 7th birthday. I am the son of a ship captain and San Francisco Bar Pilot. I retired 10 years ago, my wife 5 years ago.
Last fall we returned to Bayfield, WI after 4 years of full time cruising and living aboard our 1999 Catalina 36. During those 4 years we covered 13,000 miles from Bayfield to the East Coast, Bahamas, etc. Wouldn't have missed it for the world. We want to go back to cruising, and this time it will be in a trawler. Not because we don't love sailing. We just want to have a few more creature comforts. My wife is tired of dumpster diving in the reefer, doing the sit and spin when you get up in the middle of the night. Well, you get the idea. Both being in excellent health, I think we have at least another 10 plus good years to cruise. From our 4 year experience, we might use a little more diesel but I doubt that we will motor many more hours than we did on our previous cruise. The truth is, cruising on a sailboat is a lot of motoring.
From our perspective, we would rather wear out than rust out. The cruising lifestyle isn't for everyone, but, I would much rather be cruising and dealing with the physical environment and the trials and tribulations of boating than sitting on the couch surfing through 200 channels trying to find something to watch on tv.
Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
I must say that I am absolutely amazed at how many youngsters there are with trawlers!! People in their sixties! Whoa! I always thought that trawlers were the final step for us old guys before turning off the battery switch for the last time. :-)

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #46
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
I must say that I am absolutely amazed at how many youngsters there are with trawlers!! People in their sixties! Whoa! I always thought that trawlers were the final step for us old guys before turning off the battery switch for the last time. :-)

John
Some of us wise up long before we are in our sixties....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #47
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Scout
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
That's one of the reasons I hang out here....to be called a youngster while still in my 60s. Nice to be young!
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #48
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
60 is as 60 does! I be liken 60!! Decades left ta GO!!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #49
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:

John
The last time I was over at Longboat Key (Sarasota, FL), I took up too much space while passing an old lady in the aisle in the hardware store, and I heard her whisper "Whippersnapper". It felt great. Also would be a great boat name.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #50

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Quote:

John
Nope! There's a step that succeeds the trawler, but I'm still not sure it's the last step. For me, pushing 70, it's a trailerable houseboat.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #51
Guru

Quote:

John
I'm 34 :-D
Old 02-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #52
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Whippersnapper! (Young, that is)
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Whippersnapper! (Young, that is)
:-)
Old 02-02-2013, 04:11 AM   #54
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Or when you can`t remember why you bent down.
I try to not wear anything but slip-ons. All that bending and tying is wasting to much time I could be boating....or power napping...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:17 AM   #55
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendit View Post
We have just sanded and antifouled Pioneer's 50 ft hull. I'm 62 and found it to be very hard work - a smaller boat would be nice at these times. My wife worries about me getting stuck down the side of the engine or somewhere similar and it is getting more difficult to twist and turn into these places. Getting out again is doubly difficult.
The actual boating is easy, it's the maintenance that takes its toll.
We will probably downsize in about 5 years time.
"Ghost Ship" avatar is a night-time shot, with flash, from a friend's boat - while partying!
Or you could possibly get the yard to do that hard yakka Ben. I would never have the clean down and anti foul on myself.
Good to see you are keeping in Touch from the land of the long white cloud. Getting a wee bit excited re the up-coming Americas Cup yet?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #56
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Perspective is everything! I'm 54 and can climb up and down the tug pretty well. We have to climb the tires (fenders) occasionally, and the younger crew members always tell me "be careful cap, your not as young as you used to be!".

People I know occaisionally ask me if I can get them a job as a deckhand on a tug. They are aghast when I tell them they are too damn old (usually in their 30's or 40's). 7" lines are heavy to throw! Up and down on barges and tugs takes its toll on the body year after year. I want deckhands in their twenties!
We have plenty of deckhands in their 50' and a few in their 60's, but they have been doing it for many years and know how to minimize the impact on their bodies through experience. "Aleve and Advil are a deckhands best friend, Tums is a Captains best friend.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #57
Veteran Member

City: Bayfield, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
34, hell, we drank a bottle of wine last night that was over 25.
Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #58
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Don't look back, Hendo. It's sneaking up on ya.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #59
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
"The hardest thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous…" Act of Valor

At 65+ that one ^^ hit home to me.

Keeping in shape gets more difficult every year. I have a number of 'hobby jobs' where I work alongside 'kids' 20 years my junior doing some physically demanding work. I can still keep up with most but tend to suffer more when I get home. Boating is still a piece of cake but I will say reading those tiny little serial numbers in the low light engine compartment gets tougher everyday.
"Stay healthy my friends"

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #60

City: Watch Hill RI
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
I think it all boils down to a desire to stay in boating, attitude, being in relatively good health, and reasonable physical shape. Wife and I will hit 70 this year. We try to stay in shape with proper diet and exercise, but we've both overcome some health issues. She, cancer (lymphoma), and I, open heart surgery for a mitral valve repair in 2011. We're both doing fine now, and I like to claim we owe it all to single malt scotch.

Been boating for 45 years, first sail, and the last 8, small trawler. While still coastal cruising, we spend a lot of time fishing. As long as I can maintain the boat (cleaning, waxing, bottom painting, engine and gear maintenance) I'll stick with it. When it becomes a chore, or I need to hire someone to maintain the boat, then it's time to move on. You know the saying... first a sailboat, then trawler, then motor home, then rest home. I think we're 10 years away from the motor home, although the wife says it's closer than that.

Puffin_NT32 is offline   Reply With Quote