Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #21
Guru

I'll stop boating when I feel I have too much boat work to do and wouldrather spend time doing someting else. Been boating over 20 years so far. I'm 61 and I figure 3 to 5 more years then I will be ready to stop.

Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #22
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I have a good friend in my yacht club who is planning to put his boat up for sale this year after the cruising season. He and his wife decided some time ago that they would do this when he reached 75. I think it was a compromise decision because he is dreading losing his boat and she, his wife, is looking forward to be out of boating.

I think you should keep the boat until you can no longer make the walk from the parking lot to the boat or it is no longer fun. There are a lot of guys in my yacht club who are in the final stages of making that walk.

Ron

windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post
There are a lot of guys in my yacht club who are in the final stages of making that walk.
As many of TF's older members know, I've been struggling with that decision for about two years.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #24
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
I still want that Viking Funeral but the law won't allow it.

Now that I think of it what are they going to do to me.

I'll be dead.

Boats catch fire all the time don't they?

SD
Old 01-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #25
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
My dad quit boating at 60 +... when he damn near killed himself, mom, and my younger brother by grossly misjudging a big storm on the Atlantic in route to Block Island from Montauk Point LI... that was back in the early 70s before weather predictions were as good as these days. According to my bro, evidently when they returned to port in Camden ME (and mom had been silent all the way home) mom screamed as she stepped on the dock - SELL IT... Ill never get on a boat with you again!! So he did an promptly purchased a Cessna to begin solo Arial Photography for rest of his life (hed been a Photo Freddie for RCAF in Spitfire planes during WWII). Fellow who owned our Tolly sold it cause at 90 + he could no longer board. Me: Not till Im damn good and ready, or simply cant! Id just as soon die aboard a boat and have my bod fall off the side for fish feed, often called chum! That would be the best end to life I can imagine!

PS: If my Admiral can't continue then I will slow down usage, but not quit completely.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #26

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
We have just sanded and antifouled Pioneer's 50 ft hull. I'm 62 and found it to be very hard work - a smaller boat would be nice at these times. My wife worries about me getting stuck down the side of the engine or somewhere similar and it is getting more difficult to twist and turn into these places. Getting out again is doubly difficult.
The actual boating is easy, it's the maintenance that takes its toll.
We will probably downsize in about 5 years time.
"Ghost Ship" avatar is a night-time shot, with flash, from a friend's boat - while partying!
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #27
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
A guy I used to race against in Chattanooga is 92 and still kicks the butts of most of the non-spinnaker keel boats in our club (including mine before I stopped racing a few years ago). He was taking firsts in a very competitive club racing environment as recently as last Sept. and shows no signs of giving up.

A cool side note: he was shot down over Germany during WWII and spent 6 months as a POW. One of his closest friends at our club (until he passed a few years ago) was a former German soldier who'd been a POW over here.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
A guy I used to race against in Chattanooga is 92 and still kicks the butts of most of the non-spinnaker keel boats in our club (including mine before I stopped racing a few years ago). He was taking firsts in a very competitive club racing environment as recently as last Sept. and shows no signs of giving up.

A cool side note: he was shot down over Germany during WWII and spent 6 months as a POW. One of his closest friends at our club (until he passed a few years ago) was a former German soldier who'd been a POW over here.

I hope I have some go left at 92. Heck to still have it at 72 would be nice.

SD
Old 01-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #29
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #30
Guru

Good one Don.
You and RT.

Really gave me a good chuckle.
It is scary that it's true.

SD
Old 01-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #31

City: Abbotsford
Vessel Name: Lucky Penny
Vessel Model: 38' C & L Puget Trawler
interesting thread...I am 60 now and in not bad shape...some ostio and lower back issues. For a day on the boat I first remind myself to SLOW DOWN! usually this occurs right after I bark a shin or bruise a hip...although there are few steps to climb i find each job it is necessary to remove all 7 hatches and after climbing in and up and out all day I am toast...its a good kind of tired and I am not beat yet...lots of work to do but the end is in sight and I find I am always ready to cruise and all that effort is soon forgotten on the BC coast.
Tangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #32
Art
Guru

Don... PLEASE!!!!! NOOOOOOOO.....

Old 01-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #33
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
[QUOTE=Art;130981]Don... PLEASE!!!!! NOOOOOOOO.....

[/QUOT

Sorry, Art. The truth hurts.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangler View Post
interesting thread...I am 60 now and in not bad shape...some ostio and lower back issues. For a day on the boat I first remind myself to SLOW DOWN! usually this occurs right after I bark a shin or bruise a hip...although there are few steps to climb i find each job it is necessary to remove all 7 hatches and after climbing in and up and out all day I am toast...its a good kind of tired and I am not beat yet...lots of work to do but the end is in sight and I find I am always ready to cruise and all that effort is soon forgotten on the BC coast.

I know how you feel.
When not cruising I fish my boat commercially on the weekends during the season.
I fish for shrimp hauling and setting 50 shrimp pots three times a day. Pulling up those Alaska spot shrimp.
I will turn 60 this June.
Work keeps you young. I am afraid if I stop moving I will rust.

Sometimes I think I am not as old as I think I can.
Sometimes I think what the heck am I doing out here.

SD
Old 01-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #35
Art
Guru

[QUOTE=Moonstruck;130986]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Don... PLEASE!!!!! NOOOOOOOO.....

[/QUOT

Sorry, Art. The truth hurts.
LOL LOL LOL LOL....
Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #36

City: EC FL
My Dad quit last year at the age of 85. Sold his Marshall Boat Co. 38 Californian with twin 3208's.

I knew it was coming since three years ago. In 2009 he told me that he had spent more money on his new hobby - photography - than on the boat.

I’m glad he keeps active.

Mike
Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #37

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
There is an evolution - as comforts displace adventure. My solution is an extremely comfortable houseboat in the back yard on a trailer. When I get to the point that I can't launch and retrieve her or drag her down the road as a camper, I will still be able to sit at the helm with a beer and re-live memories on the water.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #38
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
It isn't your age so much as your attitude.
Lots of us are old, heck, I'll be eligible to collect OAP this year, so I don't qualify as a spring chicken. Yet, I don't think I take things any slower now than I did 25 years ago. In fact, since I retired, I am healthier and more fit than I have been in at least 25 years. Since I have the time to get regular exercise, something I never did while I was working, I have been able to get back into reasonable shape and to feel like I want to continue getting regular exercise. I think that has been the key to an outlook that sees many more years of active cruising. I can still get twisted into the tight spots, spend the time to keep the shiny stuff shiny, pull the prawn traps regularly (without a powered puller), etc.
I sure don't want to start looking for the end of a passtime that has given me pleasure, in one form or another, for the last 50 years or so. That would be like planning the date of my demise, something I won't be doing.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #39
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Big reason I spent a long time to evaluating, and giving a lot of weight to, ergonomics when we bought the big boat. A crawl in engine room, for instance, wasn't going to get it, and I was in my mid-50's and fairly fit then.

This all reminds me of the George Burns line, which can easily be paraphrased to boating:

"You know you're getting old when you bend down to tie your shoe and wonder what else you can get done while you're down there"

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #40
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
When I get that Viking funeral.
Burn me and my boat.SD
Skip: Can I have your Paravane set-up?

I'm 62 and lucky to be able to still do what I can do. I hurt everywhere, but I hurt everywhere when I was 18. For sure, being in my genie space for hours at a time is something I'd rather not do. The last set of 8D's I changed out was actually easier than the set before, so I guess I'm still doing OK. Weird postures and lack of flexibility inspires me to take the first Trawler Yoga course that comes along. The oldest guy I know still trawlering is 86, and he can bend in half a lot better than I can.

With all the baby-boomers retiring, I think we'll see lots of 60 plus entries into the recreational trawler club. Tomorrow is the Trawler Fest Ft. Lauderdale event. Like last time, I'd bet the majority are retirees.

healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote