Aftermarket Pilothouses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yuck. Never seen a salty dog with some north sea aborted pilothouse look. Never want to either.

I always like the Salty Dog because of its ability to be such an open cockpit boat. To me, that was the whole point of that boat and why the few that have them, love them. They are fantastic six pack boats.

Attachments

• autoimage-150722_BoatPic_Main.jpg-400-300.jpg
    autoimage-150722_BoatPic_Main.jpg-400-300.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,484
Last edited:
Don't see quick/easy access to decks from pilothouse on some of those boats. More than two steps is too many (for me.)

Fwd swept pilothouse windows (wannabe as Marin says) are just style imitating the north sea trawler. There are some advantages but their existence on a pleasure boat is for the cool trawler look ... just plain vogue- ness.
Speaking as someone who has owned and cruised trawlers with both forward and aft-raked PH windows, I feel compelled to point out for newcomers to this issue that the advantages of forward-sloped windows are numerous and well documented - electronics over head, lack of glare, reduced heat load, protection from much rain and spray, much better visibility of objects and people in the water (that's why they are REQUIRED on North Sea rescue boats). They also provide substantial protection of one of most leak-prone areas on a boat.

The advantage of aft-raked windows is that Marin and (apparently) manyboats think they look boatier, or something like that.

Edit: I just thought of one disadvantage of forward-raked windows - every couple of months I have to dust them on the inside.

Last edited:
IMO aft raked windows are ugly as hell. JMHOP.

Forward leaning pilothouse windows equals function over fashion.

img_244483_0_b583ead3334197d87a46c80c5102f688.jpg

Er, I'd say function and fashion - but I can certainly agree that fashion is subjective! :angel:

The "wrong way" but effective pilothouse windows of the Coot are consistent with its workboat heritage. (Its bow wave imitates that of tugboats.)

img_244493_0_870e8bd93997b52e0f0b36a6d66e08ce.png

img_244493_1_4dcb066dc0e61b5f171f14ee213f6aa2.jpg

Indeed, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited:
This was done to a Davis International...something Taiwanese Type tricabin. Looks even worse in real life. And yes it was designed by a Naval Architect.

Attachments

• 20140623_144131.jpg
    20140623_144131.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 139
The "wrong way" but effective pilothouse windows of the Coot are consistent with its workboat heritage. (Its bow wave imitates that of tugboats.)

Mark......that's a "wannabe" bow wave if I ever saw one. Some of todays recreational trawler boats are designed to make the wave look like that, but with closer inspection, one can see that it is simply "faux froth", a catchy new handle for a false tug-boat bow wave

With that handled, here's another smooth example of Pilothouse tech.

Attachments

• crusader bow.jpg
    crusader bow.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 89
  • crusader port aft.jpg
    crusader port aft.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 104
Mark......that's a "wannabe" bow wave if I ever saw one. Some of todays recreational trawler boats are designed to make the wave look like that, but with closer inspection, one can see that it is simply "faux froth", a catchy new handle for a false tug-boat bow wave

With that handled, here's another smooth example of Pilothouse tech.

Instead of trying to imitate a workboat-like wave, I'd bet the designer wanted to follow a successful design.

Fishing version:
http://www.dieselducks.com/Coot.html

Last edited:
Did you have your sense of humor surgically removed or did it just fall off?

Last edited:
No. But some (other) people take this stuff seriously.

I'm fairly certain that healhustler's bow wave is similar to mine. :)

Last edited:
Was I supposed to have me bow wave inspected during the survey?

Was I supposed to have me bow wave inspected during the survey?

Not if is factory installed. But the aftermarket ones do seem to sag and yellow with age.

West Marine sells them. Recommend getting one size up than listed for your model.

Oh, and don't be a noob be sure to deflate it or remove it altogether when at anchor.

Be careful you don't cross thread it when putting it back on.

Last edited:
Not if is factory installed. But the aftermarket ones do seem to sag and yellow with age.

West Marine sells them. Recommend getting one size up than listed for your model.

Oh, and don't be a noob be sure to deflate it or remove it altogether when at anchor.

Be careful you don't cross thread it when putting it back on.

How will I know if mine was factory-installed?

Will defender have a better price on them?

Where do I store it when I am anchored? Do I need a hoist for it? Do I keep it on the cabin top or on the transom?

I have a galley up and no flybridge. Do I need to order a special one for this (most practical and seaworthy) configuration?

Oh and my windows are vertical. Not raked forward or aft. I hope this will not be a problem.

Looks like opinions haven't changed since the last time we did fwd slant windows (FSW). And I'm not insulting anybody for akwards sloped windows. Just telling you your'e stylish isn't really much of an insult.

The only thing that is a positive for FSW is that they are a bit more free of rain on the glass but wipers basically eliminates that. Too much sun? Put a visor over the windows that's much lighter than for FSW.

It's like a 4wd SUV police car. Probably makes sense in Alaska but elsewhere if you want to carry people of chase speeding cars you'd be better off w a good high performance sedan. And thankfully most are but there are some that say they may need to chase a criminal over a pasture ect. Yea once a year?

The FSW are in the minority here on TF and most look fine. Most TF boats are aft raked (normal) and most look fine.

Here's an N46 w FSW. Tastefully done and the boat looks fine. Or even great but if the windows were slanted 30 or 45 degrees it would look silly.

Attachments

• DSCF0733 copy.jpg
    DSCF0733 copy.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Look at the thread on Fantail boats.

Quite a few very nice looking boats and none of them has fwd raked pilothouse windows. They are all older boats before the fwd raked windows became a fad.

Bill Bishop showed this one last week:
boatng+mobile+home+sm.jpg

"Doctors have announced the first successful transplant of a boat onto a mobile home in a delicate three week operation. The lead surgeon said, 'I'm pleased the surgery went well, but we're still having some difficulties deleting the thousands of Walmart waypoints from the chart plotter.'"

Here's one of my favorite examples that happens also to be the winner of the wannabe window (forward raked windows) contest. It'd be hard to believe that the rate of roll on this boat would be similar to what it was originally.

Attachments

• Wannabe trawler copy.jpg
    Wannabe trawler copy.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 99
Here's an N46 w FSW. Tastefully done and the boat looks fine. Or even great but if the windows were slanted 30 or 45 degrees it would look silly.

Gotta agree with that one. I'd be a shame to change it. I think the 46 is one of the most balanced styles out there. Some of the ones I've seen cruising have so much stuff on them that it takes away from the line of the boat. If I had one, I'd probably be over-conscious about that...you know, wanting to preserve the looks of the boat.

Here's one of my favorite examples that happens also to be the winner of the wannabe window (forward raked windows) contest. It'd be hard to believe that the rate of roll on this boat would be similar to what it was originally.

LOL! If you had not promised all photos would be untouched, I would have convinced myself that you had Photoshopped that one! Amazing!!

LOL! If you had not promised all photos would be untouched, I would have convinced myself that you had Photoshopped that one! Amazing!!

Yeah, it's hard to resist that. Still, there's more than enough of the real ones out there to keep me honest. Here's another one that was published only months ago here on TF, but a definite qualifier. Gulfstar.

Attachments

• Gulfstar original ad photo copy.jpg
    Gulfstar original ad photo copy.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 102

Al, Larry is not to be trusted.:facepalm:

That looks to me like a factory original Schucker. They did not make many.

The boat in NOLA is a Lancer. They also built powersailers up to 65'.

The boat in NOLA is a Lancer. They also built powersailers up to 65'.

You're right. I'd forgotten about the Lancers and their unusual high speed motorsailors, I mean powersailers.

Looks like opinions haven't changed since the last time we did fwd slant windows (FSW). And I'm not insulting anybody for akwards sloped windows. Just telling you your'e stylish isn't really much of an insult.

The only thing that is a positive for FSW is that they are a bit more free of rain on the glass but wipers basically eliminates that. Too much sun? Put a visor over the windows that's much lighter than for FSW.

It's like a 4wd SUV police car. Probably makes sense in Alaska but elsewhere if you want to carry people of chase speeding cars you'd be better off w a good high performance sedan. And thankfully most are but there are some that say they may need to chase a criminal over a pasture ect. Yea once a year?

The FSW are in the minority here on TF and most look fine. Most TF boats are aft raked (normal) and most look fine.

This one looks perfect to me the rest, not so much........
Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom