Aftermarket Pilothouses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Would it be kinder to refer to some of these creations as "After-market Pilothouses"? They sure didn't come with the boat. Some of them are home-built, some of them were already built for something else, and some were actually built by yards and fabricators. I've seen some hard fly-bridge enclosures that were such towering, heavy additions that one has to ask if a Naval Architect was ever even thought of. Here's a couple of examples to start things rolling. No Photoshop...honest!

Attachments

• Pilothouse added.jpg
    Pilothouse added.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 290
  • uniflite pilothouse.jpg
    uniflite pilothouse.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,218
Those look like pretty mild examples of what you seem to be ranting about. The first boat looks like it may have come from the builder like that to me. At least in that photo.

Oh, you haven't seen anything yet. True, these are very mild examples. Here's another.

Attachments

• JustStuff_638.JPG
    JustStuff_638.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
At least they have forward-raked windows! :)

Here's a Bayliner.

Attachments

• bayliner pilothouse.jpg
    bayliner pilothouse.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 254
I know that things of that nature are out there, I have seen some, but weirdness in photos coming from you is always going to be suspect because of your demonstrated talents. :)

Last edited:
Here's another, albeit a non-OEM flybridge.

Kinda looks good!

Attachments

• coot sundeck with mark aboard.jpg
    coot sundeck with mark aboard.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 290
That last one looks like the top off another boat...

Fly-that one looks a bit like Mark put a flybridge on the Coot. Has he been holding out on us?

Guys It's photoshopped.:D

It's important to note here, that at least '"I" said "no Photoshop from "me", while at the same time, I have to acknowledge that there may be some material out there that either look like they were Photoshopped or may have been Photoshopped by unscrupulous characters.:):hide:

Here's another mild example.

Attachments

• Dockside-2.jpg
    Dockside-2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 220
I'm actually liking the modified Bayliner, although I'm not sure why? I wonder what model Bayliner it started its life as?
Bill

Last edited:
At a New Orleans marina a couple of years ago. I believe someone was living aboard, even equipped with a dog, or cat, ladder. Probably a "Katrina boat"

Attachments

• sailboat flying bridge 005.jpg
    sailboat flying bridge 005.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 231
Would it be kinder to refer to some of these creations as "After-market Pilothouses"? They sure didn't come with the boat. Some of them are home-built, some of them were already built for something else, and some were actually built by yards and fabricators. I've seen some hard fly-bridge enclosures that were such towering, heavy additions that one has to ask if a Naval Architect was ever even thought of. Here's a couple of examples to start things rolling. No Photoshop...honest!

The second photo, the Uniflite Salty Dog with pilot house, was not an after market addition. That was standard. I believe Eric, Manyboats, was with the company at the time. It looks like one of his designs. Who knows what plans he has for a pilot house on Willy.:D:D:hide:

I wonder if it should still have the sailing rig.

Leastwise it was still there last Friday:

img_244271_0_9d0020b7df89bc692aaf6afa160f51ca.jpg

(And it is still slower than Mahalo Moi (GB42), drawing further ahead in the photo.)

Last edited:
They are all disgusting.

No NA would have any part of any of them. The creators of these pilothouses think the modern trawler look is cool, vogue and style wise desirable.

Some boats are timeless. Others go out of style quickly. The guys that created these "Aftermarket Pilothouses" want their style to scream "NOW".

Fwd swept pilothouse windows (wannabe as Marin says) are just style imitating the north sea trawler. There are some advantages but their existence on a pleasure boat is for the cool trawler look ... just plain vogue- ness. And a high wheelhouse on a small boat is at least a bit stupid.

I feel like an Iraqi stomp'in on a pic of Saddam Hussein.

They are all disgusting.

No NA would have any part of any of them. The creators of these pilothouses think the modern trawler look is cool, vogue and style wise desirable.

Some boats are timeless. Others go out of style quickly. The guys that created these "Aftermarket Pilothouses" want their style to scream "NOW".

Fwd swept pilothouse windows (wannabe as Marin says) are just style imitating the north sea trawler. There are some advantages but their existence on a pleasure boat is for the cool trawler look ... just plain vogue- ness. And a high wheelhouse on a small boat is at least a bit stupid.

I feel like an Iraqi stomp'in on a pic of Saddam Hussein.
Can you tell us how you really feel Eric? I tend to agree with your post above.....
Bill

Hey now! Gonna offend some of the Nordy boys.:lol:

My forward raked windows help with the flow of the whole look of the boat, plus it allows me to call her a "trawler". Plus they help get the sun out of my eyes, or so they say.:D:lol::rofl:

Aft raked windows are just appeasing to me (Why we got the 47 & not the 50), but to each and their own.:blush::flowers::)

Hey now! Gonna offend some of the Nordy boys.:lol:

My forward raked windows help with the flow of the whole look of the boat, plus it allows me to call her a "trawler". Plus they help get the sun out of my eyes, or so they say.:D:lol::rofl:

Aft raked windows are just appeasing to me (Why we got the 47 & not the 50), but to each and their own.:blush::flowers::)
The big difference is your vessel's pilothouse is not an add on or modification to an existing hull to change the look of your vessel.
Bill

Last edited:
The second photo, the Uniflite Salty Dog with pilot house, was not an after market addition. That was standard. I believe Eric, Manyboats, was with the company at the time. It looks like one of his designs. Who knows what plans he has for a pilot house on Willy.:D:D:hide:

Yes, now that you mention it, I can see Eric's fine eye of line in that vessel. I think I've got some interior photos of that one that also show his hand at work. Oh yeah, here we go...

Attachments

• uniflite pilothouse 2.jpg
    uniflite pilothouse 2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 473
  • uniflite pilothouse inside.jpg
    uniflite pilothouse inside.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 221
  • uniflite pilothouse stairs.jpg
    uniflite pilothouse stairs.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 151
An uncles Salty Dog enroute to get the hardtop fitted.

Opps forgot the pics.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1403553215.408491.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1403553233.514244.jpg

Yes, now that you mention it, I can see Eric's fine eye of line in that vessel. I think I've got some interior photos of that one that also show his hand at work. Oh yeah, here we go...

The tile work is such a nice touch.:thumb:

At a New Orleans marina a couple of years ago. I believe someone was living aboard, even equipped with a dog, or cat, ladder. Probably a "Katrina boat"

That looks to me like a factory original Schucker. They did not make many.

Fly-that one looks a bit like Mark put a flybridge on the Coot. Has he been holding out on us?

Yes, that's a "Healhustler Original" from a previously humorous thread. I just couldn't resist dusting it off and putting it out there for an encore laugh.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom