Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Fort McAllister, Ga
Vessel Name: Hot Shot
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Aft versus Forward Cabin

Greetings,

We plan to start seriously looking at boats in about a year when the wife retires from teaching. One thing I have not been able to find on this site is a discussion of the pro's and con's of a forward berth versus aft. It seems to me a forward cabin, like in a Mainship 390, would have more movement and be subjected to anchor line tugs while an aft cabin would be much more serene. Then again since i have no experience i may be totally wrong.

Comments?

Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Oooo.... Neat subject... I love aft cabins and doubt we'll ever own a boat without one. However, in OUR case, Skinny Dippin' has some pretty hard chines that slap loudly even in mild conditions. For some, it's serene and settling. For other like myself, it keeps me awake. I suppose every boat is different and I am not an expert on boats other than ours. We would probably be ok in a full walk-around queen V-Berth, but we have looked at other boat on YachtWorld and boats in the size we can afford don't have a V-Berth big enough for us to feel comfortable. Aft staterooms feel more like bedrooms and hardly move at anchor. While I hate to say it this way, I want to feel more like we're in a hotel or condo versus feeling like we're on a boat. It's very nice.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. P. Start seriously looking NOW. The more time you spend looking the more time you will have to refine your search PLUS, a few extra weekends away with the Mrs. is ALWAYS a good thing!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. P. Start seriously looking NOW. The more time you spend looking the more time you will have to refine your search PLUS, a few extra weekends away with the Mrs. is ALWAYS a good thing!
I agree, there's no reason not to start looking as soon as possible. The larger boat shows are a good place to look.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Seabeck, WA
What a coincidence...I was going to post this question myself when I could not find anything in past posts. So I'm interested in the responses. I don't wish to hijack your OP, but in the name of efficiency, maybe I could add to this as well?

How about those of us that might do over night or longer passages occasionally? Is it better to have an aft cabin vice a foward berth for this? How about a mid berth?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Guru

City: somewhere
We're currently looking at aft cabins because of the reasons stated above and the fantastic aft deck.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
We're currently looking at aft cabins because of the reasons stated above and the fantastic aft deck.
Our boat has both. Aft cabin preferred by a huge margin. Guests appreciate the separation afforded by the center salon area. If you like being outside, whether at anchor or in the slip, the sundeck will drive the configuration decision anyway.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Definitely start looking now! Walk around and get the flow of the boat layouts to see what will be most cofortable and usable for you. We are also looking at the advantages and disadvantages of aft versus vberth. Until you see it live, you won't really know.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #9

Front master cabin here. We like our fresh air and have a constant flow up front when hanging on the anchor. A forward cabin doesn't have to be a V-berth.

Dave
Old 03-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post

Our boat has both. Aft cabin preferred by a huge margin. Guests appreciate the separation afforded by the center salon area. If you like being outside, whether at anchor or in the slip, the sundeck will drive the configuration decision anyway.
We are currently negotiating on a 36 aft cabin. This should be plenty of room for the two of us.
Wish us luck as this is a fight for every penny by each party.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
We have a forward main cabin and a boat with a hard chine and it's noisy....but I love it. The slap of the waves against the bow puts me to sleep in a heartbeat. Like Magicbus, I like the ability to open the bow hatch and have the fresh air blowing down on the bed. I've slept in our mid-ship stateroom and even with the ports open it's stuffy in there. I can't imagine not having the gentle breezes through the main cabin.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
I like the aft cabin for bunk size, not so good for ventilation. V-Berth is good good for ventilation but not for size on my 36-DC.
KK-42097
meridian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
Same configuration here. We've owned both, and by far the aft cabin has been the most comfortable. We have the added benefit of having a cockpit that is accessible from the aft cabin, so morning coffee on the anchor is but a step outside into the fresh air.

We don't get hull slap on the hook or on the dock, so our aft master is quiet and serene.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Front master cabin here. We like our fresh air and have a constant flow up front when hanging on the anchor. A forward cabin doesn't have to be a V-berth.

Dave
True. If you're not running AC all night, you'll have a lot better ventilation in a forward berth. Water slapping against the hull never bothered me. It's part of the on the water experience.

All in all, I don't think the berth location should be the most important piece of your boat selection strategy. There are far more important things.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #15

I've had both. I now have an aft cabin that I really enjoy at nights for sleeping. In the day time, I always miss the sedan set-up. It is so easy to move in and out between the aft deck and saloon. Also, the people outside can interact with the people inside by just leaving the aft door open. I want to have that again so my next boat will probably be a pilothouse type with a midship master stateroom. I think it has the best of both worlds. It's a sedan with a master that compares to ones found on aft cabin boats.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
I like the aft cabin for bunk size, not so good for ventilation. V-Berth is good good for ventilation but not for size on my 36-DC.
You just need the right "V-berth"!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Master Stateroom.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	16834  
Old 03-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #17
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Edwin Monk (senor) said something like, "The captain sleeps in the bow to monitor the anchor." I currently sleep in the aft cabin and it's a long hike to check on things when the wind changes in the night (last night, and the night before..).
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #18
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
You just need the right "V-berth"!

Dave
The "right" v-berth on a 48 footer is a whole 'nother thing from the fwd berth on a 34.

We use our fwd berths almost exclusively as storage; once our kids stayed aboard, but in reality the 34 aft cabins (MT's, CHB's) are pretty much a 2 person boat for anything more than an overnight.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
We spend the majority of our waking hours on the back deck or in the saloon in nasty weather so our emphasis was in those areas. It is certainly nice to have the space an aft berth provides but for the time spent there the forward berth works very well for us. It's luxury compared to our 23'. This is a very personal choice and depends also on how many people you intend to have on board on a regular basis. Have fun looking.!!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Since I like to fish and enjoy easy water access, I prefer the fwd cabin. But, IMO, it comes at the sacrifice of sleeping comfort.

Most aft cabins place you well above water level on the aft deck. I prefer a cockpit to provide easy water access. Of course, larger boats can offer both the aft cabin and a cockpit, but access can be awkward. Many of them require you to pass through the aft cabin to access the cockpit from inside the boat (turning your bedroom into a hallway for all guests to pass through) or use the side deck to the sundeck then climb down a ladder to the cockpit.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote