Old 03-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #61
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
If you like Tollly's you'll really like equivalent Ocean Alexanders. The 39-42-44-46 are all Monk hull designs as is the 44 Tolly. Very similar boats. the 42-46 are aft cockpit/sundeck boats, which is the best of all worlds. Thinking of putting our 44 up for sale this September...
All are left coast boats. Bummer.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #62
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
How is the boarding?
bb -

Depends on the model/length/boat-year Tollycraft you purchase. Look into many of the pictures in Yachtworld link I pasted into my previous post for you... there’s a whole lot to see!

Our 1977 34' tri cabin Tolly is easiest entered from floating dock via star board side slide door into large, well windowed and bright center salon (see avatar and picture). Can also be entered off swim step up a short ladder to rear main deck and then directly in through the master state room’s huge hatch/door... or by a short walk to the starboard slid door. It has a fully equipped up-galley. Private-door, center isled, double and single beds master stateroom to stern w/ full length slider windows on both sides, good sized hanging 2/3’rds height closet, big hatch/door, big draws in centered bureau, 4 huge under beds’ draws, plenty of shelving, and a big/full head with sliding window, deep/wide recessed med cabinet, and incorporated shower. Private door large forward V-berth w/ 2/3’rds height closet, under bed storage, shelves, hatch to forward deck, port hole, and a fair sized full head with recessed med cabinet, port hole and incorporated shower pan.

40’ Tolly tri cabin are the same basic layout as our 34’ tri but a bit larger inside and with a cockpit usually having rear entry door off swim step.

Reason we chose the extremely affordable 34 Tolly is many fold... one big reason is that it fits anywhere we go and still gives us ample room as stay-over accommodations to easily support up to six people for a weekend or a week. With just two or three it’s like having a self contained mini condo – that’s very seaworthy and we can swim off!

BTW – We can get right between 2.75 and 3 nmpg by running on one engine at a time and cruising at 6 to 6.5 knots water-speed (that = 1.58 knots less than its 7.58 calculated hull speed). Or, we can get there fairly fast by firing up the twins and cruising around 16 to 17 knots while still getting about 1 nmpg. WOT is 21 to 22 knots with way too many gpnm – lol!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	17099  

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #63
Art
Guru

Quote:
bb - There are some of both type boats in South U.S. - check around...
Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #64
Guru

City: Trenton
Heritage East yachts had an aft cabin trawler that had actual steps molded into the boat from the swim platform up to the aft deck. Looked like it would solve the biggest drawback to that kind of boat.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #65
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
bb - There are some of both type boats in South U.S. - check around...
One of the oldest OA dealers in the country is in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. Our 44 is in Michigan...on the salt free Great Lakes. A beautiful summer cruise to the east coast via the Great Loop circuit.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #66
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
We are looking at both aft cabin & cockpit boats.

Our dilemma is, how do you handle the awkward boarding & disembarking with the aftcabin?
For us, there is no awkward boarding drama. We have a sliding door from the aft cabin to the cockpit, as well as a sliding door at the lower helm into the salon.

99% of the time, we are stern in, and disembark thru the aft cabin onto the cockpit and then onto the dock. When we have guests for longer for a day trip, we have a dock ladder for disembarking via the starboard side door.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #67
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
What I learned is I need to get off the computer and look at some real boats. I will start this summer. Thanks again.

You might want to go to a boat show/trawler fest so you can go on and compare layouts/design. Once you know the lay out design you can then eliminate a lot of boats. We spend the first year going to boat shows, going on different design/lay outs and size. Don't be concerns about brand name and or dollars yet, just go on boats and enjoy.

If I hear the sound of water on the Eagle something is wrong!
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #68
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I appreciate being able to simply step onto the boat rather than climbing steps/stairs.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #69
Guru

We just put a deposit on a sedan. The idea of climbing a ladder to board was a bit much for us.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #70
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Congrats!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #71

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Congrats, Please share the details as soon as you feel comfortable. Hope all works well.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #72
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
More congrats! Easy access from the dock, (as well as the swim platform) was one of the main compromises we made in selecting our boat. If a key crew member has any infirmities, it is an operational consideration. We have a nice aluminum ladder that attaches to the gunwale which we put in place for immediate docking and departure ops. Hatteras also thoughtfully put a reinforced port light directly below each side gate, which I have used to get on and off, but you need to be fairly spry and long legged to do that. Then a set of articulating stairs that goes in place if we are going to be there awhile which make it very comfortable for anyone to board.

Once we had a good idea of what ergonomics were important to us, from actual cruising experience, it made it easy to evaluate boats at the dock. "How do you get on and off this thing?" is one of the first questions. My next move was to go directly to the helms, put my hands on the shifters, and look around to see how much visibility there was. And so on down the list. Obviously, the first one was not a show stopper for us. The second one was, as was side decks for reasons I articulated a few moments ago on another thread, as were galley and engine room layouts.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #73
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Charlie View Post
Congrats, Please share the details as soon as you feel comfortable. Hope all works well.
Thanks everyone. We still have a ways to go on this one.

It's a 35 Mainship Med. We liked it because of the nice sized salon, galley, separate shower & a motivated seller.

Next is finding a quality surveyor in the Stuart Fl area.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #74
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Quote:
This isn't a Tolly, but it's an east coast boat of the same sundeck/cockpit design:

1996 Bayliner 4087 Aft Cabin Motoryacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

oops.. another post says you already put down a deposit on a sedan.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #75
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoss View Post

This isn't a Tolly, but it's an east coast boat of the same sundeck/cockpit design:

1996 Bayliner 4087 Aft Cabin Motoryacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

oops.. another post says you already put down a deposit on a sedan.
Tollys at a good price are pretty much nonexistent here... Bummer.

We looked at a 3888 Bayliner & though it was the worst layout for us. The Admiral asked if it was a 32 footer.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #76
Art
Guru

Congrats - Good Luck!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I appreciate being able to simply step onto the boat rather than climbing steps/stairs.

You would be climbing down at quite a number of docks on the Great Lakes. These docks were at more than 5 feet off the water last June when this photo was taken...perfect height for walking aboard an aft cabin sundeck. (Slow start to the boating season as we were the only boat in the marina...never did fill up last summer).

Name:	DSCN7441.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	17187
Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #78
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The only thing better than that is stepping on the swim platform and entering your cockpit through the transom door.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3866.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	17188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3327.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	17189  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #79
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
The only thing better than that is stepping on the swim platform and entering your cockpit through the transom door.

....or stepping on the swim platform, entering your cockpit through the transom door, parking your bikes in the handy storage area, and climbing a few short steps to the spacious sundeck with a bug free, panoramic view..

Name:	DSCN1475.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	17191
Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #80
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
....or stepping on the swim platform, entering your cockpit through the transom door, parking your bikes in the handy storage area, and climbing a few short steps to the spacious sundeck with a bug free, panoramic view..

Attachment 17191
now, I like that!!