Aesthetics question about canvas/window shades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star0210

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Star
Vessel Make
2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Hi everybody. Long time no post.
Hope everyone is doing great!

We are having pfifertex window shades and a new flybridge enclosure made for the Sea Star.
We are going from the current brown to a navy. I’ve narrowed it down to either Captain Navy or Royal Navy sunbrella for the flybridge.

I’m looking for opinions for the pfifertex shades. I had chosen Navy Pier color before we decided to also do the flybridge. Do you think that would look good or should I just go with black for the pfifertex shades? (We have ruled out white)

I am sure I’m way overthinking this. :banghead:

Any thoughts or opinions?

When we bought Hobo she had black Phifertex or equivalent. It reduced the sun but the pilot house got very hot and the inside glass was hot to the touch. We changed to a lighter color and can feel the difference. I agree to stay away from white. The picture has the Phifertex Plus, Sand color. For the salon and aft deck we used the regular Phifertex that has a 70% shade factor.

Attachments

• 645826A8-F1A6-4B30-A657-8D1203BF6E42.jpg
    645826A8-F1A6-4B30-A657-8D1203BF6E42.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 48
I would not go with 2 close but not the same blue. It may look like you were trying to match the 2 blues but missed. I would rather go with a dissimilar colors such as blue and gray. Gray goes with pretty much everything and would not be as hot as black.

This is the navy pier pfifertex with a bolt of captain navy sunbrella on top.

Attachments

• 1FC70CA2-03A6-44B0-90C0-64847A44F88A.jpg
    1FC70CA2-03A6-44B0-90C0-64847A44F88A.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 52
Hi everybody. Long time no post.
Hope everyone is doing great!

We are having pfifertex window shades and a new flybridge enclosure made for the Sea Star.
We are going from the current brown to a navy. I’ve narrowed it down to either Captain Navy or Royal Navy sunbrella for the flybridge.

I’m looking for opinions for the pfifertex shades. I had chosen Navy Pier color before we decided to also do the flybridge. Do you think that would look good or should I just go with black for the pfifertex shades? (We have ruled out white)

I am sure I’m way overthinking this. :banghead:

Any thoughts or opinions?
Star.... We made our sundeck shades for Salty using 70% navy Pfifertex. We have white covers on the cabin windows and were initially going to make the sundeck shades from white material, thinking that would be cooler in the Texas sun. However, after valuable advise from a local TF member, we chose navy to reduce glare. We don't notice any heat from the darker material. imgcache0.13063995.jpeg

Star.... We made our sundeck shades for Salty using 70% navy Pfifertex. We have white covers on the cabin windows and were initially going to make the sundeck shades from white material, thinking that would be cooler in the Texas sun. However, after valuable advise from a local TF member, we chose navy to reduce glare. We don't notice any heat from the darker material. View attachment 85432

Awesome...I’m glad to know that about the heat. Heat reduction is a big thing for me. I will probably have to figure out something to put on the inside. Anything to reduce my electricity bill in the summer.

Awesome...I’m glad to know that about the heat. Heat reduction is a big thing for me. I will probably have to figure out something to put on the inside. Anything to reduce my electricity bill in the summer.
Star,
I can't speak to the heat transfer of dark screening over glass windows....you'll probably have to "quilt" some insulating material between 2 layers to get any heat reduction inside the cabin. Always a tradeoff ......insulation vs ability to see outside.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom