Aeroquip fuel hose replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rogerh

Guru
Vessel Name
At Last
Vessel Make
1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Hi team, Anyone replace their Aeroquip fuel hose? How difficult is it? Any special tools needed for this? I would like to reuse the fittings.

I have two Detroit 6V92s that need all the engine hoses replaced. There is about 10 on each engine. Looks like the Coast Guard Aeroquip required hose is very expensive. Are there other coast guard approved approaches that are less expensive.

If you have replaced yours what did it cost? I live in the Florida panhandle, any repair mechanic recommendations that you would use for this job. Destin area.

Thanks
RogerH

I use Aeroquip high pressure hoses in my business and for several other applications. You will find a part number on the hose. You should be able to get an information pdf on the web about the hose and the fittings. The hose may be the same, replaced with another, or discontinued. You want to make sure your old fittings are compatible with the new hose you buy. There may also be a pdf for the fittings and there installation. Finally, there are a number of other hose manufacturers that probably offer equivalent hoses and fittings.

These days I use swaged fittings and let a hydraulic press do the work.

Ted

Thanks OC. Unfortunately they all have been painted so PN may be hard to come by. Rats... Where do you source the hoses? Do you know of a place I can send them and have them rebuilt?

Thanks OC. Unfortunately they all have been painted so PN may be hard to come by. Rats... Where do you source the hoses? Do you know of a place I can send them and have them rebuilt?
Most Aeroquip fittings have engraved part numbers. You may be able to determine the hose by looking up the fitting number and checking the list of compatible hoses.

I would find a hydraulic shop in your area that sells Aeroquip. I would assume Aeroquip has a dealer locator on their web site.

Ted

Most industrial bearing supply house can handle hydraulic hoses and even some Napa stores. If you reuse your fittings you will need to go with Aeroquip hose. I agree with Ted on the swaged fitting and hose. They are not as bulky as reusable fittings.

Last edited:
Yes, you will find that many NAPAs in boat-intense areas will carry what you need and can make up the new ones for you. Ditto most heavy truck repair shops and hydraulic shops.

The aeroquip ones I have screw together.
Lock the fitting into a brass piece. screw it on tight.
Hold the large hose nut and unscrew the locked tight nut, This removes the steel cone from the hose. The hose nut threads on the outer hose surface.

I found I could fit the 5/16 nylon lined A1 USCG rubber fuel line hose into my #5 fittings. But I did not reuse most of them. I simply went with barbed brass and hose clamps on to 3/8 A1 USCG approved rubber hoses.

Why the focus on aeroquip? There are a number of manufacturers.

A1 is the typical standard for fuel hose if I recall. For an inspected vessel, I believe it was either hydraulic swaged or hose clamps. Don’t quote me and do your own research, I’m going from memory, of which I’m terrible at.

That said, aeroquip and others make many hoses, and each series has a narrow list of approved fittings. Not all approved fittings for the hose meet inspected vessel requirements.

The best and cheapest is the typical swaged fitting. Easy and cheap, but you need to bring old hoses or measurements to a hose shop. Almost certainly the easiest for you and just ask for a1 marine fuel hose.

I’m not an inspected vessel, so I often use field serviceable fittings. Basically like a swaged hydraulic fitting but you use a wrench to put it together. More work and slower, but I can fix miles from the dock by carrying extra hose. Pushloc is fast and awesome, but you won’t find any hose rated for pushloc that meets the mfg recommendation for fuel that is also a1. That said, others have discovered that A1 works just fine with pushloc. They quickly slap a hose clamp on top to meet requirements.

So....what was your question? [emoji4]

I think the need for aeroquip comes from the fact that these are high pressure lines. Or that's what I have been told. Does anyone know what pressures the lines need to be for a Detroit 6V92?

No high pressures. Regular rubber fuel hose is good for at least 40 psi. Aeroquip hose is tougher stronger reinforcement. So more durable. All my 1970 aeroquip hose was no longer safe. Outer rubber cover was cracking. I got rid of all of it on the boat.

SD, thanks. Was that a Detroit 6V92?

Any hydraulic supply, farm supply, and some autoparts stores (usually in rural areas) can make new hoses. Just tell them it's for diesel fuel. The DD fuel pressure is about 35 psi. DD's don't have high pressure fuel lines or an injector pump. The injector makes the high pressure. One of the main reasons I have DDs.

"I would like to reuse the fittings."

"For the fittings if they are crimped they cannot be reused, if they are type "screw on" then they can."

So if you are stuck with crimped fittings , be sure to purchase the reusable style and repairs / replacement is a snap.

A strong mounted vice makes assembly easier.

Always purchase both fittings that are swivel ends , as there easier to install.

Last edited:
Hoses should be spec'd for max pressure of 70psi, which is reached at max RPM no load, and underload will be in the 45psi+ range. So no, not a high pressure spec for reasonsSdowney and Lepke gave already. I had 8v92tti's on my old Hatteras and according to the 92 series manuals, pressures were same across all configurations, which makes sense.

While you're in there, install a fuel pressure gauge, it's an easy install as there are take-offs for one there by the pressure switch after the fuel pump.

I always use Aeroquip. One thing, if you use reusable fittings, you MUST use Aeroquip assembly lube, if you don’t you will NEVER get it together.

Those of you that do your own Aeroquip hose rebuild, any special tools? Looks like maybe just a chop saw to get a straight cut? And the lube that lube? How difficult is it to make one and how often do you find it leaks after assembly?
Thanks all for your replies!

"How difficult is it to make one and how often do you find it leaks after assembly?"

My past was mostly Hyd , not fuel, but there easy to work with and none leaked.

A vice and box wrenches work easiest.

Those of you that do your own Aeroquip hose rebuild, any special tools? Looks like maybe just a chop saw to get a straight cut? And the lube that lube? How difficult is it to make one and how often do you find it leaks after assembly?

Hardest part is getting it started together.

Burst strength of A! nylon lined fuel hose is 250 psi
It might be easier on you to remake your hoses using the original fittings.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/shie...8-low-permeation-marine-fuel-hose--P010378008

When they went to the nylon liner, it made these hoses so much better for fuel permeation issues.

Available in four sizes, 368 is ideal for fuel feed lines for outboards, inboards, and inboard/outboards using gasoline (up 85% ethanol blends) or diesel (including all bio-diesel blends).

Last edited:
I am an hour or so east of you over here in Panama City, and we have two competent shops here which can solve your issues, Rubber Specialties and Florida Hose and Rubber. There is undoubtedly a shop in your area capable of making anything you need. What I always do is remove the hose in question and take it to them because they can always identify it and replace. I am not familiar with your engine, but any hose prior to the injector pump will not be high pressure. Most diesels I have seen have special formed metal pipes connecting the injector pump and the injectors.

Duct tape and a hacksaw will work too (if working with braided to keep the exterior stainless wires from going everywhere.)

Sidney

"Looks like maybe just a chop saw to get a straight cut?"

No real need , a non 90deg hose end may not look pretty but works 100% as well as the true square cut (with in reason).

When I redid some oil pressure lines, I used AN fittings and braided SS hose.
I wrapped with tape, then I cut the hose on my table saw using a grit grinding cutting blade.
A circular saw with same blade would also work. It just grinds right through everything quickly, makes a smooth cut. The grit blade wont grab the SS braided outer covering.

Back
Top Bottom