Aerial video of Cassel Falls in Teakerne Arm, Desolation Sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonfish

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Traveler
Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
We spent a wonderful 24 hours stern-tied near the falls (yes, unlike some other "famous" falls, this one hasn't dried up yet!). Did some kayaking, hiking and even swimming in the warm lake. Relaxed, too. You can see me and Bob Bitchin (Cruising Outpost magazine, formerly Latitudes & Attitudes) on the flying bridge. And in the kayaks are Bob's wife Jody followed by my wife Lisa and our intrepid 5-yr old daughter Arriana. What a cool place. We would definitely like to come back in June or September when it's not so crowded.

And for all you drone haters, we talked to the neighboring boats and they did not mind. They couldn't even hear the thing over the noise of the falls, which was surprisingly loud given the reduced flow this late in such a hot, dry summer.

http://youtu.be/XjtLNjjRxK0

Wow Darren just beautiful and the music was great also

Really nice. What drone do you have? Is that the one you recommend? I would get nervous if I flew it further than I could see it -- how much of a concern should that be?

Very nice Darren. I would expect nothing less than that from you, Your videos are always beautiful.

What a beautiful place. Someone is a good drone pilot to film so smoothly. There are logs on the shore, assuming they drift there, is that a hazard?

The logs in the video are in the lake, not the ocean, although there are logs there also.
Lots of lakes were used in the past to float logs out of remoter areas with lakes. Often used a flume fed by lake water to run the logs down to the ocean. Quite common to see abandoned logs in the lakes.

In some cases depending upon the trees and the economics there are recovery operations of logs that sank a long time ago. It's not a big business but it is there especially for cedar as they are highly rot resistant, the lakes are often cold so the wood is still good.

But yes, logs in our cruising grounds can be a big deal. There are not as many now as 15-30 years ago but they still are a serious hazard.

In some cases depending upon the trees and the economics there are recovery operations of logs that sank a long time ago. It's not a big business but it is there especially for cedar as they are highly rot resistant, the lakes are often cold so the wood is still good.

But yes, logs in our cruising grounds can be a big deal. There are not as many now as 15-30 years ago but they still are a serious hazard.
Slight further drift. In Tasmania, the often quite cold island state to the south, there is a prized shipbuilding timber called Huon pine, it also has an attractive "bird`s eye" grain so makes nice furniture and wooden articles. What gets used these days has usually been underwater for years and years, or is recycled from prior use.

Really nice. What drone do you have? Is that the one you recommend? I would get nervous if I flew it further than I could see it -- how much of a concern should that be?

From one Traveler to another... :)

We have the DJI Phantom 2 with Zenmuse 3-axis gimbal camera mount carrying a GoPro 3+. We bought it because it was the "Deal of the Day" on Amazon, and we needed one for our work (just to keep up with the Jonses). The Phantom 3 had just been introduced, so it was a good buy. Very easy to fly, and with the FPV kit we added later we can get some pretty decent shots. Using it tomorrow to shoot a video boat review of the new North Pacific 45.

It's flown out of sight a few times, and it does make me nervous. The first few times flying over water were quite nerve wracking! Still makes me a bit nervous, but I am a conservative flyer. Never fly in winds over 15 its, and I don't get "fancy" or fly between things.

That was stunning!
I just started selling waterproof drones but I've never flown one. I hope to get the chance later this week.

Waterproof drones sounds like the way to go- given what WE would be doing could come in handy for bottom inspections at the slip...;)

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

The serious fishing guys put one of their GoPros on a long stick to film fish underwater. I bet that would work well for hull inspections too.

Some new high tech "waterproof " drone product that Parks has begun to carry ;)!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Beautiful! Those of us who have drones (Phantom 3 for me) cringe when we read all the negative publicity about the few irresponsible idiots who grab the headlines with their immature antics. So really nice to see a posting which shows the good side. I have to say that you are a lot more daring than I am, though, in getting it so far away from the remote console! :)

I still haven't had a chance to fly one! The guy who makes the one I sell was supposed to bring one by for me to try yesterday but he just dropped off some spare props and split.

One of the neat things about the one I sell is that it comes with a cargo release hook. The drone will lift two pounds. I'm thinking beach fishing and getting the bait out a lot further than I can cast.

Back
Top Bottom