Old 10-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #1

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Hannah Jane
Vessel Model: 2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Advice on West Marine 310 RIB dinghy?

West Marine has a 20% off sale on their dinks thru 10/10. They have two 310 hypalon models - one has a v deck and the more expensive (& heavier by about 30 pounds) has a flat deck. Anyone have experience w/either model? I'm closing on a Grand Banks 42 at the end of the month and need to replace its current dink (which is a 310 RIB v deck).

I can see the pros for a flat deck to stand on, but wonder if the v shaped deck is that big of a deal. Pros for it are lighter to lift and more carrying capacity for people and cargo. Thanks!
FBoykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I had the WM 310 with the v deck. I just sold it when I bought my current boat which had a slightly nicer dink. I really liked the 310 and to be honest, I wish I had kept it. If the 30lbs would be an issue, there is no problem with the lack of a flat deck. My current dink does have a flat deck and it is nice.

So if I was to buy again, I would get the flat deck IF the weight was not an issue, both for wrestling it and for performance on the water with your engine of choice.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I have the 310 single bottom, or vee deck.

Glad I don't have the extra weight and expense.

The vee deck does have 2 flat spots along the glass bottom next to the tubes. I plan to make a light weight removable slatted deck to lay in there after of the seat.

Forward is a steep vee, but usually toss stuff up there anyway.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #4

This dink comes with a nearly new 15 HP Yamaha 2 stoke that PO bought in Bahamas a few years ago (80lbs. I think). Can y'all get 4 adults in your 310 versions? And both versions plane and handle well fully loaded? The flat deck sounds nice and useful, but I'm leaning towards the vee version - hull weighs less so more room for cargo and it's 500 bucks or so cheaper.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
8hp 4 stroke Yammie planes mine nicely with 350-400 pounds onboard. 15 to 18 knots.

Above that and it needs full throttle to plane. Could be propped poorly and trim is critical.

15hp 2 stroke should be fine, and with one person should be downright scary fun.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #6

Dave, you now have the flat deck version. WM says that one comes with a forward watertight locker? True? If so, how much gear can you stow (like real small danforth and some anchor rode)? Thanks!
Old 10-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #7
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Advice on West Marine 310 RIB dinghy?

I have the 310 vdeck with an older 15hp Johnson on it. It's fast but a bit squirrelly.

I didn't want the extra weight of the flat deck model.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #8
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
I am not familiar with either of West Marine's dinghies. My flat deck Avon has a flat deck but the bottom is somewhat V shaped. This arragement provides a small bilge so that one's feet can remain dry. So if this is the same with West's flat deck, I highly recommend it. All dinghies seem to get water in them and there is no need to have wet shoes
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote