Old 07-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Advice on weird looking trawler.

Hi all, New poster (been lurking and absorbing for a while). I am looking for a liveaboard (safe) passagemaker, and based on the excellent advice from cruisng through many forums/threads,* I've narrowed down my parameters.

* * steel hull********* *** >= 45' LOA

I have a *small* budget relative to you rich guys (~50K USD), so looking at old trawlers and boats.

I'm single with 2 dogs, so don't care about inside aesthetics, will modify from garage sales and creativity.

SO, after reading my whole story, my main priority is a SAFE and stable vessel (mostly for Caribbean, but will want to cross the puddle eventually, so it has to be worhy)...

I found this 57' Thompson Trawler Steel hull (steel cabin), but it looks really really weird, like a houseboat, but current owner swears (after neglince maintenance) it is ocean crossing sea worthy (fitted with 600 gal fuel, implying it was designed for it.)

But I'm skeptical. Any thoughts on merits (or lack thereof) of this design would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

--waterhawk* (sorry of the picture format is too big)

[img]../../download.spark?ID=969641&aBID=115492[/img]

waterhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
RE: Advice on weird looking trawler.

Looks like one of those boats they take out for a disco dance party on the top deck and slot machines below.

Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #3

I'm no expert myself but I don't see it crossing any big water. Looks like a river going houseboat maybe.
Larryw
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
Looks like one of those boats they take out for a disco dance party on the top deck and slot machines below.
*Yeah! right..* It does, in fact he was pitching as spiffing it up and taking people out on party nights (for money) or for 'world' cruising.***

seems like they are exclusive, but the more I looked at, it does seem like it has excellent drainage from the bow area, and boxed in everywhere else.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Here is pic of cabin (best I got so far), but it looks like a trailer inside*

[img]../../download.spark?ID=969644&aBID=115492[/img]
Old 07-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

I would not want to try and single-hand on that. I think I can speak for almost everyone here and say that walk around decks are a HUGE benefit. Besides, that's too much boat for you. For $50k, you can get a pretty solid boat. Will it cross oceans? Maybe, but that's more the captain's ability and not always the boat. I can't imagine what that boat did in a previous life, but since you are a lower income boater, like myself (and Bess), a boat like that will drain you in upkeep. I'd keep looking. But that's just me.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
I would not want to try and single-hand on that. I think I can speak for almost everyone here and say that walk around decks are a HUGE benefit. Besides, that's too much boat for you. For $50k, you can get a pretty solid boat. Will it cross oceans? Maybe, but that's more the captain's ability and not always the boat. I can't imagine what that boat did in a previous life, but since you are a lower income boater, like myself (and Bess), a boat like that will drain you in upkeep. I'd keep looking. But that's just me.

Hmmm, well (*kshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh** sound of my bubble bursting), thanks for that tip.

It certainly lacks any decent walk around deck.* So maybe you are right.

I will go poke around for more input on single-handing tips, but from your perspective what would be the main factors for single-handing? besides the walk-around deck, which I will add to requirements.

Or, what would you think (roughly) would be the reasonable top end size for single-handing, for an energetic experienced (small craft 20'), I can handle a little stress when docking.

Thanks again for helping me out with your experience.

-- Edited by waterhawk on Saturday 23rd of July 2011 06:23:59 PM
Old 07-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Honesty, I would not trust that thing to take me 100 miles down the river, let alone across an ocean. It is a houseboat with a pointy bow. Nothing wrong with that- just don't try and cross an ocean or go out of sight of land on her.

$50k budget and you want to cross the ocean....I'd honestly go for a sailboat. A powerboat suitable to cross an ocean safely is going to cost you more than $50k. You can get a good coastal cruising trawler for $50k though but saying you are crossing the ocean kind of changes things and in that budget sailboat will be your best bet to do that and make it to the other side alive.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:
Honesty, I would not trust that thing to take me 100 miles down the river, let alone across an ocean. It is a houseboat with a pointy bow. Nothing wrong with that- just don't try and cross an ocean or go out of sight of land on her.

$50k budget and you want to cross the ocean....I'd honestly go for a sailboat. A powerboat suitable to cross an ocean safely is going to cost you more than $50k. You can get a good coastal cruising trawler for $50k though but saying you are crossing the ocean kind of changes things and in that budget sailboat will be your best bet to do that and make it to the other side alive.
*Really? I sailed a bit when I was a kid, so I understand the mechanics, but driving and managing a sailboat across the ocean seems daunting to me, I'm interested and could probably learn, by being someones mate for a bit.

I was hoping to find a decently safe powerboat, that is crap on inside but with good solid super structure.

So, you think the 50k is not going to be reasonable for that (aside from a rare steal.)?
Old 07-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

You can get a good solid coastal cruiser/trawler for $50k but there is a huge difference between coastal cruising/island hopping and crossing the ocean.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Woodsong is right,* Crossing an Ocean on a powerboat is for someone with deep pockets.

If you took Ocean Crossing off your list you might have a chance.

Otherwise a sailboat is the way to go. Safest small boats around.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:
You can get a good solid coastal cruiser/trawler for $50k but there is a huge difference between coastal cruising/island hopping and crossing the ocean.
*Understood. I think based on input I will pass on this boat for what I need. bummer, I really wanted to make that happen because of cost and location...

So, I don't want to derail my own thread.. but..

I don't want to take advantage of your guys' input (which I appreciate, and will pay forward some day)...

But, (I know it's obnoxious) can I post another boat and pic here (just 1 more) and get your guys' opinion for perspective?
Old 07-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Quote:
JohnP wrote:
Woodsong is right,* Crossing an Ocean on a powerboat is for someone with deep pockets.

If you took Ocean Crossing off your list you might have a chance.

Otherwise a sailboat is the way to go. Safest small boats around.

JohnP
Ok... on that thought, what's the learning curve for someone who is nautically inclined to single-hand an Ocean crossing sailboat (with general past and forgotten experience)?*

and what's the general thought (I've read it has a lot to do with rigging setup/location) on single-handing size for a sailboat?

I would, of course, have a crew for any Ocean Crossing, but not for Caribbean island hopping.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #14
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986

I just happen to have*an ocean crossing*sailboat for sale. I am intending to buy a trawler. This boat is fully capable. It is a ketch rig which means it has 2 masts which makes it's sail configuration quite flexible. Great heavy weather boat.*And.......it is just a hair under your budget. We are living on it right now. Other than cosmetics, it's ready to go. 39' long 12 ft. wide, 37HP diesel and set of sails. Minimum bridge height is 50'.

-- Edited by Tony B on Saturday 23rd of July 2011 07:42:24 PM

-- Edited by Tony B on Saturday 23rd of July 2011 07:45:23 PM
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Tony B wrote:
I just happen to have*an ocean crossing*sailboat for sale. I am intending to buy a trawler. This boat is fully capable. It is a ketch rig which means it has 2 masts which makes it's sail configuration quite flexible. Great heavy weather boat.*And.......it is just a hair under your budget. We are living on it right now. Other than cosmetics, it's ready to go. 39' long 12 ft. wide, 37HP diesel and set of sails. Minimum bridge height is 50'.

-- Edited by Tony B on Saturday 23rd of July 2011 07:42:24 PM

-- Edited by Tony B on Saturday 23rd of July 2011 07:45:23 PM
*I may be interested, going to sail is a big paradigm shift for me, but I think it's doable.

I'd really like a metal steel/allie hulll,, is it?

have any pics to throw up? I know this ain't the 'ketchforum', but ehh, it's a branch off main topic...
Old 07-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

TonyB,

Just read your other thread, sounds like you are/were in same 'boat' as me...

I'm trying to be flexible like you were, Congrats on your new purchase (If they accepted your offer).

I noticed you mentioned you just put it up on yachtworld I'll check it out there.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #17

Being the owner of a 44' Thompson and having researched their history thru the years, I have never come across them ever being fab'd of steel.*

They are weird looking at times, with the high bow, low transom, hard chine and flat aft section. The first give away of a Thompson, is the air inlets to the engine room, I see them facing both directions, my face aft.

We carry 640 gallons of which approx. 600 gallons are actually usable and while turning 1300 rpms, doing 7 knots and burning 2.38 gph this gives us a cruising range of approx. 1700nm. But then if to fill both tanks with 2 tons of fuel this reduce the range.
El Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

A person would have to see a whole lot more specs on that boat to make any kind of a judgement.
It may be a LOT tougher than it looks.

Actually, it DOES look pretty tough.

-- Edited by surveyor1 on Sunday 24th of July 2011 09:11:53 PM
surveyor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Quote:
surveyor1 wrote:
A person would have to see a whole lot more specs on that boat to make any kind of a judgement.
It may be a LOT tougher than it looks.

Actually, it DOES look pretty tough.

-- Edited by surveyor1 on Sunday 24th of July 2011 09:11:53 PM
*AHHHHHHHH!!! Really, from a guy named surveryor1??? (meaning I trust your opinion, don't think many would have balls to use that alias w/o having it backed up, and I'm newish so don't no reps yet).

I say that because, I thought so too, but I gave up on it, because it was odd and only got negative input... but to be honest I love it.. I'm really into SAFE and FUNCTIONAL, and everything else is fluff, and lots of top deck space...

I do get the point about no walk around deck, but I don't mind bolting through the cabin when I need too.

So, do you really think from that it's worth investigating and even looking at?

The blocky cabin shouldn't make it more unstable then really tall masts and bridges, right?

I thought, if it is indeed steel (which he said both cabin and hull were) it should be solid as well.

Thanks for input.

-- Edited by waterhawk on Sunday 24th of July 2011 09:28:50 PM
Old 07-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #20
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986

Waterhawk

The boat you posted here may be steel buit it certainly does not look ocean capable. For one thing, an ocean capable boat this size would not have a high profile to the wind nor would it have large windows to be blown out. This boat looks like a steel houseboat capable of coastal cruising in clam weather. I have seen other boats that look like this. They usually have a V hull forward mainly in the bow area to give the appearance of seaworthyness and then the bottom quickly flattens out as it goes toward the stern. I could be wrong on this particular boat, but I doubt it.
As someone mentioned earlier, the only way to cross an ocean safely in a power boat is to have a $10 million or more boat.

If you really want to cross an ocean, a ketch rig is the way to go. Your sail area is spread over 2 masts which makes sail handling easier and the ketch rig offers more options in what kind of sails can be used in different combinations for varying weather conditions. I'm 64 and overweight and I can single hand my boat.

If you want to cross an ocean, you may be in open water for 30 days or more and a lot can and will happen in 30 days.

Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote