Advice on Marine Trader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Opequon

I'm considering purchasing a gorgeous extremely well kept MT 34 Europa with all the usual MT problems handled.

Should I be afraid of this boat in following seas?

Thanks in advance.

Opequon

Welcome aboard.
One solution not to be afraid would be to go fast enough so the following sea could never catch you.
Ok this does not help, sorry.

L.

I'm considering purchasing a gorgeous extremely well kept MT 34 Europa with all the usual MT problems handled.

Harmony?....if so, nice boat.

I've been out in 7' following seas. It was fine when they were on the stern. Off the quarter it became more of a handful.
In most cases you can tack or change course to ease the motion. If not, you just have to bear it. The boat doesn't have the problem. It's the people inside the boat.

Should I be afraid of this boat in following seas?

Thanks in advance.

Opequon

No, but from my own experience, put as much of the heavy items you carry in the lazaret, as the more weight aft you have, the better they track in following seas. I'm lucky to have almost all of my tankage in there, and my MT 34 equiv. loves following seas. :)

Discussing sea state usually requires height, period and wind wave on swell.... just height really doesnt tell much.

In my experience, these older trawler designs have lots of buoyancy aft but not much forward.

It may not handle pretty in some following seas, and be dangerous in large breaking inlet waves...but I wouldnt be afraid of it unless I planned to cross an ocean.

For looping, coastal exploring, Cuba and the Bahamas....it is fine. In the last 5 years of snowbirding, there have only been a few lost days due to dangerous weather, a few more to uncomfortable weather.....but I mostly do ICW for a variety of reasons.

Unless you plan to do serious ocean crossing with your boat (in such case you shouldn't be buying this one), it handles great in most conditions. Following seas is uncomfortable, especially if you're on the flybridge where you will feel the movement a lot more. But it's a great solid boat. If it's in good condition then go for it. Lots of room and character.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom