Old 12-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #1

Vessel Model: Currently Boatless
Semco alternatives to seal teak deck

Hi All,
I just purchased my second gallon of Semco Teak deck sealer. Paid $107 at West Marine. I like what Semco does for my decks. Seals them nicely, great “new teak” look and protects against stains. The question I have is are there any alternatives to Semco that work as well but perhaps are less expensive?
I know there’s a ton of experience out there and thought I’d ask if anyone has found anything they like?

Thank you

Taras
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
The short answer is no. For the effect that you want, Semco is the best choice on decks. I'm a "nothing" for decks guy myself, but have had extensive discussions with other teak deck owners on the subject, in particular captains of high end sport fishing boats whose owners demanded that look (in the case of the most knowledgeable, often just on the coaming boards).

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #3
Guru

City: AR
West Marine is almost always the most expensive source for anything...but they do price match and Amazon seems to have what you're for, for $83/gallon.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Patio-Furni...tor/B00D0S4VIQ

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:03 AM   #4
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Been afraid to bring this subject up as it is one of those best anchor type questions discussed ad infinitum but I have 31 year old decks in good shape. Would like to protect them as much as possible. Forgetting the initial and ongoing cost, work required for recoating/upkeep arguments, does Semco reasonably protect/deter the decks from aging and leaks or is it simply an appearance thing?
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Lena applies Semco twice a year on our decks. It does not stop leaks and after a couple of month or so there’s no real appearance change (we use the cleartone). Where Semco shines, imho, is it helps keep the teak from drying out and it helps keep dirt from getting deep into the grain so you don’t need aggressive cleaning. To do Hobo’s decks, we use about 1/3 of a gallon.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote