Old 02-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #41
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RE: Advice on Choosing a Boat

Like boat owners, there are good, bad and indifferent surveyors. *I've been fortunate and used very good ones that know much more than I do ( not too hard to do) and have many years of experience. Ask your insurer or bank if they will do business on a boat*for which*you don't have a reputable surveyor's report. This is a very different issue than "I know what a boat is worth to me."

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #42
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:
Like boat owners, there are good, bad and indifferent surveyors. *I've been fortunate and used very good ones that know much more than I do ( not too hard to do) and have many years of experience. Ask your insurer or bank if they will do business on a boat*for which*you don't have a reputable surveyor's report. This is a very different issue than "I know what a boat is worth to me."

*Sure you need a surveyors report..that's a joke in my opinion...I can show the insurance company all the repairs I did to make the boat "better and safer" right after the first survey*and yet they will turn around and require me to get another survey for insurance reasons in another 5 year or so because the age of the boat....like the surveyors report is REALLY going to save them money in the long run.* Sure it might be the best average guess on a boats condition..but there are certainly better opinions out there without a surveyors signature ( to be fair they only have a few hours and no destructive testing).

The discussion isn't whether surveyors are firmly embedded into the boating system...it's a question of how much their imput is worth for ANY decision making throughout the process.

Sure they catch things that the average owner isn't or might not...heck they may see things that I may not...but lets face it...without destructive testing, testing no one could afford or just plain taking things apart which they normally don't do...you only find out what REALLY right or wrong with the boat long after the deal is done, the surveyor's report is in and you are sitting in your slip wondering whether you should have done something different or are dinking what you like, sitting back and enjoying the sunset.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788

Quote:
psneeld wrote:
The discussion isn't whether surveyors are firmly embedded into the boating system...it's a question of how much their imput is worth for ANY decision making throughout the process.
*I think the value of a surveyor is dependent on both the surveyor and the potential owner.

A*knowledgable surveyor that deals with a particular model of boat frequently can be invaluable.

Even the sharpest owner only has direct exposure to one or two boats of a particular model.*An owner only knows the issues that they have found with the boats he's worked on or heard about through the internet or social contacts.

A surveyor on the other hand surveys boats every day or so. An experienced surveyor might have inspected dozens of a particular model. His knowledge base will reflect the sum total of all of those boats.

Like surveyors, owners knowledge and aptitude will vary. I for example work on electrical, electronic and power generation systems for a living, and have done so over a very long career. This skills*I have developed in life are more applicable to boating than the skills someone would develop as a manager, or doctor.

If I had spent my career in a different field, I would not hesitate to enlist the services of a surveyor in a pre offer scenario. I think it would be good money spent.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #44
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Add to that... Some geographical areas have limited surveyor options. Like here in the New Bern area of NC, we really only have a few good surveyors. Maybe just one. He has surveyed many of the boats around here multiple times. As a point of reference, he did the survey for the previous owner of Skinny Dippin' and was able to note many of the improvements that were made. It was comforting to know the boat's condition had actually improved during the previous owner's tenure. Only HE (well... and the broker too) have that unique perspective.

That is why I mentioned that possibly tracking down the previous owner's surveyor could give you more info BEFORE jumping in feet first.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #45
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

When choosing a surveyor you have to ask for reverences

I am a marine surveyor. I have the license to prove it. licensed by the state of Alaska.

How did I become a Marine surveyor you ask.

I sent the state a check for $75.00. My license is good* for insurance and banks.

I do my own survey for insurance. At $10.00 a foot. *$75.00 sure beats the heck out of $350.00.

I think I know my boat better than any surveyor*I could hire.

Point being. Just because someone hangs out a shingle doesn't make them a qualified Surveyor.

P.S. I don't use my license for anybody other than myself.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #46
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

Superdiver said it best above. T-I-M-E is what is needed. Wife and I have been spending as much time as possible going out on(not looking at) friends and charter vessels. We are learning tons about our likes and especially my wife's dislikes.

As for boats without issues, there are none. Negotiate well and mitigate as much as possible during the negotiation. Have no fear of walking away from the table without a boat, I have.

Good luck.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #47
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

KSanders is pretty well correct IMHO. Accountants, doctors lawyers are not normally gear*heads, AYBC tutored or FRP geeks. They need help from a good surveyor. Once your potential new vessel gets into the +$500K area, to not use expert help for hull, electrics, engines and plumbing*to insure and protect your substantial investment is a mental and financial mistake.

Sorry Dude,* because you lack the correct surveyor bona fides,*I'd use your well honed skills elsewhere in evaluating a new vessel, like does it need a*cooling system fix up or head job.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #48
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:
Sorry Dude,* because you lack the correct surveyor bona fides,*I'd use your well honed skills elsewhere in evaluating a new vessel, like does it need a*cooling system fix up or head job.
*My point exactly.

Yesterday I couldn't even spell Morine Sirveyor now I are one.

As far as the boni fides. I looked into SAMS. Society Of Accredited Marine Surveyors.

It seems all that is required is to submit 2 surveys you have performed and pay a fee..

Ask for refrences. Not all surveyors are bad. Just the bad ones.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #49
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
superdiver wrote:
i can honestly say, there is NO BOAT OUT THERE that will not need to be messed with.
And as long as you know and are willing to deal with what needs to be done, as best as you and your surveyor can ascertain, that to me is part of the fun and joy in boat ownership. I'd be bored if there were not things that I could mess with. Even a "perfect" boat, if there is such a thing, can be "improved". Except maybe Seahorse II, and maybe that's why Walt has lost his mojo. There is nothing left to do on her.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #50
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:Even a "perfect" boat, if there is such a thing, can be "improved". Except maybe Seahorse II, and maybe that's why Walt has lost his mojo. There is nothing left to do on her.
******** Don't I wish!* I would like to change out my refrigerator, add AIS, maybe another VHF, Maybe davits on the stern for a dinghy, etc. There is always something you need to make it safer in San Diego Bay. :bored:
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:superdiver wrote:
i can honestly say, there is NO BOAT OUT THERE that will not need to be messed with.
And as long as you know and are willing to deal with what needs to be done, as best as you and your surveyor can ascertain, that to me is part of the fun and joy in boat ownership. I'd be bored if there were not things that I could mess with. Even a "perfect" boat, if there is such a thing, can be "improved". Except maybe Seahorse II, and maybe that's why Walt has lost his mojo. There is nothing left to do on her.

* * * ** Keep it up, David. If I decide to sell, it will help with the asking price.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #52
TF Site Team

Advice on Choosing a Boat

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:dwhatty wrote:superdiver wrote:

* * * ** Keep it up, David. If I decide to sell, it will help with the asking price.

Of course there is that water stain under the port aft window and the funky trim, or lack thereof, under the reefer. And the window trim bits as you look in from the outside. That ought to knock off a few grand. :devilish: Or did you fix all that?

-- Edited by dwhatty on Monday 20th of February 2012 06:49:02 PM
Old 02-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #53
TF Site Team

Oh, and I forgot the other reefer problem that Flywright identified. But that is easily remedied.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #54
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
Of course there is that water stain under the port aft window and the funky trim, or lack thereof, under the reefer. And the window trim bits as you look in from the outside. That ought to knock off a few grand. :devilish: Or did you fix all that?

*Walt, with friends like that, you won't need any enemies.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:Of course there is that water stain under the port aft window ....Fixed & all salon windows recalked ....and the funky trim, or lack thereof, under the reefer....will be addressed with new reefer.. And the window trim bits as you look in from the outside. I completely forgot about those! I think I'll just 5200 the trim bits in place.
* * * ** Now who's sounding anal? I'll just bet that your boat is in better shape than mine. Of course we have to wait until the "spring thaw" to even have a look at her.* :nod:
Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #56
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Walt
I can see little hope for you if all you have in your fridge is water! Unless there is a nearby locker with an ample supply of Scotch to mix with it.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
koliver wrote:
Walt
I can see little hope for you if all you have in your fridge is water! Unless there is a nearby locker with an ample supply of Scotch to mix with it.
******** Seek & ye shall find
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scotch.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	10245