Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave View Post
This is my idea of a trawler alternative
Studied this boat quite a bit...
1971 Huckins Linwood Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Yeah, now that's a good cruising boat. You can actually get somewhere the same day you left. Unlike these plodding things that go by the misnomer "trawler" that take two days just to get to the horizon you can see from your starting point.

If one is actually dragging a trawl net around I can see the slow speed. But just bo move a couple of people from Point A to Point B? Eight knots? Seriously....?

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #22
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
I'm feelin' a bit of "tongue in cheek" Marin

roguewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 AM   #23
Scraping Paint

Nope, not this time. I truly hate creeping along at 8 knots. It's tiring, it's boring, and it's a giant waste of time. If we didn't have money earmarked for other things we'd be rid of the GB in a heartbeat and buy a 15-20 knot boat and run it at that speed.

We enjoy being out on the water and seeing what there is to see but we find we see just as much and enjoy it just as much at 30 mph in the small boat as we do at 8 knots in the GB. The difference is that things are constantly changing and we are constantly seeing new things at 30 mph where things just ooze by at 8 knots and it's like being stuck in Groundhog Day.

I have no time for nor tolerance of slow. We do it because going fast has not become a high enough priority in our cruising to do anything about it. However we have been thinking more and more seriously about repowering our old boat to at least get up in the 13-15 knot range. We'll see......
Old 08-30-2012, 02:27 AM   #24
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
[QUOTE=Marin;101038]
This is my idea of boating. Eighty feet @ 45 mph. Eight knots is pathetic in comparison. It's better than not being out on the water at all, but it's still a staggeringly boring way to go in my opinion. Cheap, yes, but big yawns are cheap too.

So why don't you get some gold chains and a poker run boat?
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:50 AM   #25
Scraping Paint

I said I hate going slow. That doesn't mean I want to run a dumb-ass kind of boat.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:28 AM   #26
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
If you are looking for a good live aboard cruiser in a good price range you sure can't go past a 46 or 48' DeFever RPH with sensible engines.
They still rate as one of most desirable boats in looks and capability IMHO.
One thing about the USA there are plenty of boats on the market and prices are low compared to other parts of the world.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #27
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Thank you so much everyone. I do appreciate the advice and comment and keep them coming. The Admiral is still a little shy about the idea of living on a boat, but as we look at different styles, lengths and options she is slowly changing her opinion.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

There is a deFever 46 in our marina a few docks from us. In my opinion it's the best looking pilothouse cruising boat I've ever seen. The Fleming is a very close second, which is understandable since Tony Fleming took his design from the deFever.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
I'm torn- our current boat (Bayliner 4087) and future boat (52 trawler) both have the ability to move at a good clip should the need arise. That being said, we really enjoy cruising along at hull speed and enjoying the journey (and the economy!).

Were our boat capable of 8-10 knots max, we'd simply rethink our time factor when traveling.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #30
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
I'm fine with 8 knots in the PNW, except when I'm transitting from Seattle to the San Juans, and from roughly the same area up to the top of the Straits of Georgia. An all day run at 8 knots is indeed...leisurely. Certainly no stress on the crew or mechanicals (or fuel!) but it would be nice to get there earlier in the day (or leave later, or not have to pay as much attention to currents).

I've had several 25 knot smaller boats in the San Juans and they were indeed fun and made it easy to hop over to FH for lunch from the cabin we had there (16nm each way), and a small boat is much easier to tuck into a marina for a couple of hours.

Our dinghy is at the upper end of what's practical to carry (though not to tow), and we used it to make a day trip from Poulsbo down to Port Orchard. And to go from Van Isle marina to Butchart Gardens in let's call it breezy conditions. When you can combine high speed with great fuel economy (guessing at least 6nmpg) it really opens up some possibilities.

If I had unlimited funds I'd probably go another route, but having an 8 knot boat with a 20 knot tender is a good compromise for us.
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #31
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
One thing to consider is how long you might own the boat or what physical condition you are mow or expect to be.

While I like the Europa designs for some things..one thing I considered was climbing that ladder to get to 1/2 the living area of my boat at an older age or older friends/family now.

The same is true of a sundeck when tring t get from the swim platform to the main deck.

While some designs are great for some forms of cruising or for the present...they may not be in 10 years or so.

If you have the coins to switch horses...great...not everyone may be able to do that.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:08 PM   #32
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I said I hate going slow. That doesn't mean I want to run a dumb-ass kind of boat.
If you had to crawl the ditch anyplace like most of us back East....6 knots is all you can do without the whole world whining about your wake....

Sure you can run the ocean...but at that point sell the boat and take cruise ships...cheaper in the long run and you don't have to cook!

I can relate to going slow or fast...you have some big territory out there and currents that make 6.5 knot boats a drag I'm sure. Back East...do more than 50 miles a day and your missing 1/2 the interesting stuff anyhow..so it's not so bad..plus creeping along between all the idiots keeps the stress manageable till happy hour....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #33

City: New Bern, N.C.
80 feet @ 45 knots? . My dad was skipper of a 78 foot Higgens. Triple Packard V-12s burning 100 octane avgas. 1 1/2 inch fuel lines. He always said 35 might have been tops, but they had to practice fuel conservation due to the large operating area in the Phillipines. Often cruised on the center engine, then fired up all three for combat. Still, if Uncle is buying the fuel.......
Coming from a sail background, 8 knots all day long is heaven!!!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #34
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Do any of you regular readers detect a theme in Marin's recent posts, in this thread and others, complaining about how slow he has to go? ??

Do we sense a faster boat in his future?
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #35
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Something more like this perhaps?
Attached Images

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choices, options, purchase, selection, shopping