Old 11-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Kent Island, MD
Vessel Name: M.V. LOTTIE
Vessel Model: Lien Hwa/Pilothouse LRC
And the adventure begins!

I posted a few weeks back that I was "Back in the Club" and I was asked for pics. Well tonight is the 24 hour anniversary of being on the boat, and all is going well. I will get a few pics in the morning after the old owner and I go through the boat one more time, for a familiarization. So far part of the adventure has been arriving at he boat at midnight, and getting the key cards to the marina from the prearranged hiding place. Getting aboard dog tired, and trying to fire up the heater to no avail, as the breaker was tripped on the unit and I had no idea where to look. Finally about 0200 actually getting to bed....fully clothed and under any and every blanket I could find.....it was 30 deg last night, and boy did it feel like it! This morning taking off to my storage unit to pick up my tools and a stop at Wally World, for soft goods outfitting, and lugging all that material down the pier and stowing aboard.

As for the continuation, Sunday will be the day Worst Marine remembers my name, and gives me a commemorative Plank, hit safe way for provisions, and take one more look at the WX for the Chesapeake, and if the stars align, pull the hammer back take the safety off and be ready for a Monday morning launch south bound!

I have some experience on the Chesapeake down to Norfolk, but after that it will be new territory.........all the way to Jacksonville........I will be single handing, and my schedule will be dictated by weather not distance or the calendar, I have three weeks before I have to go back to work so I am hoping to get far enough south so I will be out of the freeze danger......

So stay tuned for the adventure, drama, and hopefully no trauma maiden voyage.......Kent Narrows to Jacksonville! Hope to see you all out there!
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
I posted a few weeks back that I was "Back in the Club" and I was asked for pics. Well tonight is the 24 hour anniversary of being on the boat, and all is going well. I will get a few pics in the morning after the old owner and I go through the boat one more time, for a familiarization. So far part of the adventure has been arriving at he boat at midnight, and getting the key cards to the marina from the prearranged hiding place. Getting aboard dog tired, and trying to fire up the heater to no avail, as the breaker was tripped on the unit and I had no idea where to look. Finally about 0200 actually getting to bed....fully clothed and under any and every blanket I could find.....it was 30 deg last night, and boy did it feel like it! This morning taking off to my storage unit to pick up my tools and a stop at Wally World, for soft goods outfitting, and lugging all that material down the pier and stowing aboard. As for the continuation, Sunday will be the day Worst Marine remembers my name, and gives me a commemorative Plank, hit safe way for provisions, and take one more look at the WX for the Chesapeake, and if the stars aline, pull the hammer back take the safety off and be ready for a Monday morning launch south bound! I have some experience on the Chesapeake down to Norfolk, but after that it will be new territory.........all the way to Jacksonville........I will be single handing, and my schedule will be dictated by weather not distance or the calendar, I have three weeks before I have to go back to work so I am hopping to get far enough south so I will be out of the freeze danger...... So stay tuned for the adventure, drama, and hopefully no trauma maiden voyage.......Kent Narrows to Jacksonville! Hope to see you all out there!
Congratulations!!! Hope you have a nice uneventful ( in a good way) trip Wish you the bests of luck. One thing I would do is get to know the boats systems very well, that will mean the world when you get stuck or something breaks in the ocean and you know your boats systems opposing to not knowing them. Fair winds and following seas
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

So here is the pic from this morning..........
Attached Thumbnails
image-7200476.jpg  
Old 12-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Guru

I have done trip from the upper Chesapeake to south Florida 4 round's trips . The average in my single engine trawler is 190 hrs. Take you time and enjoy the ride. By the way. You spend more time when you overnite in marinas then anchoring out .
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Thanks for letting us in on the adventure. Got your learning cap on?

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Ready for the adventure, let the games began.

Looking forward to daily updates.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Sounds like a fun trip. Lots of good information has been posted on the Forum fairly recently on that route, so if you have not already done so you might want to read some of the postings with regard to suggested marinas, suggested anchorages, things to watch out for, etc., etc.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Good job on getting things ready and then taking the big first trip. I hope you take pics along the way and post them for us.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Guru

So stay tuned for the adventure, drama, and hopefully no trauma maiden voyage.......Kent Narrows to Jacksonville! Hope to see you all out there![/QUOTE]

Congratulations on your purchase and what sounds like a return to the water. As you reported during your first night aboard there may be a few items you need to become familiar with prior to making the trip south. For what it is worth we are going through a similar process of taking ownership of new (used) boat and taking it a little slower. Our first trip was around the bay to confirm that a cooling system clean-out job was properly done and the recently serviced stuffing box was running at normal temperatures (it was not) prior to venturing very far. Next trip will be the same and include anchoring out for a few hours to check out the system and run the generator.

I remember heading to Mexico within a week of taking delivery of a new boat a few years back and having to turn around due to weather and just not being comfortable with the boat. In this case the boat was fine but it was me who was nervous about not being comfortable with the boat and worried about the "what if" happened in rough weather. We delayed the trip a few days, became a little more comfortable with the boat and its systems then made an uneventful trip south in perfect weather.

Curious why the rush south and alone on a new boat?
Best of luck and stay safe!
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Sunday 12/1/13.

As predicted Worst Marine was very happy to see me, hard goods outfitting done, victualing done, NOAA WX, checked. Tanks dipped, pre flight check list practiced...I think my slip mates are tired of hearing my whistle......emergency anchoring drill done.....emergency equipment checked and restowed...charts corrected for the first 200 miles, LNTM downloaded and reviewed, major machinery checked twice.. vessel secured for sea......set condition "Zebra"....stowaway search conducted results negative......hoist "Papa" and stand by fore and aft to single up.

Unless I wake up in the AM and find the forecast has changed significantly tomarow I will set off on the first leg, of my single handed trip south. I appreciate every ones input, and any sticky spots you hear about, please give me a shout out, you buoys and gulls are a great resource coupled with active captain I think I will have a decent idea of what is in store for me further down the track line.

Itinerary for tomarow is, last line 0815, bunker 0830, along with topping off potable, and black water discharge to shore side facility, then South to Solomon's Island for a little servicing from a few providers I know and trust down there, dinner and sunset on the hook, and shift pier side Tuesday or Wednesday morning for minor VR "Voyage Repair". I promise to take and post pics.

Any other ideas or input please forward!
Old 12-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

N4061, as for the rush South, I don't see it as being a rush. The boat is here I am here, I am in home waters with a good weather window, and lots of good service if needed, and on a relatively protected body of water as long as one watches the weather. The boat is fully serviced, spares are aboard, I have planed bail out ports and if needed survival equipment. So this is the shake down trip from Kent Narrows to NORVA. I do appreciate the reality check, and I may not have the HVAC system fully figured out, but I do have the engines, transmissions, steering, dewatering, fire fighting, navigation, comms, signaling, and anchoring system, fully figured out with several upgrades where I felt it was warranted in the past 48 hours.

I freely admit that no one ever thinks of every thing so please keep asking questions.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #12

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Gone Coastal
Vessel Model: 2005 34' Mainship Trawler
Will... I can't think of anything to add re your preparations for this trip - I can only say that many of us would like to be signing on as deck hands, but at least we look forward to your posts and pictures. I assume you have a cold beer for after lines are secure each night...

Safe travels,
Old 12-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #13

City: Everett
Best of luck Will...
I'm looking forward to trip updates and learning from your experiences.
~Mike
harleythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #14

City: Circleville, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sunset Lady
Vessel Model: 1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
Best of luck on your trip south. Looking forward to pictures. Love the Navy jargon. I slip into it from time to time aboard our boat. The questioning look from the First Mate brings me back to reality. Don't forget to secure the sea and anchor detail, and set the normal cruising watch, on deck, section two. By the way, the last time I called for "Sweepers" I was handed the broom!

"Keep putting off till tomorrow, and you'll end up with a lot of empty yesterdays" Prof. Harold Hill
Bilgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

So far so good.....
Attached Thumbnails
image-4149727912.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
So far so good, huh? Well, let us hope that it is an uneventful trip, which tends to be the best kind. Not like some people who have interesting things happen.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Dunnsville,
Vessel Name: Serenity II
Vessel Model: 1990 36 Marine Trader, Sundeck
Have a safe trip Will. I know it will be a good one. You will be coming by the river where we are located, The Rappahannock River. We are in a marina up around Urbanna Va.
Have a safe one....

Frank
Rivahrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

RR thanks for the good wishes. I used to serve on a ship named the USNS Rappahannock, T-AO 201,she was a great ship and from the charts that river looks great! I'll sound 1 prolonged when I slide by there!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The things that can only truly be appreciated from the water!
Attached Thumbnails
image-2858529898.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #20
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
The things that can only truly be appreciated from the water!
Amen to that! Your livin' the life!!!!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote