Old 12-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Dunnsville,
Vessel Name: Serenity II
Vessel Model: 1990 36 Marine Trader, Sundeck
Will, be aware of the bridge openings going through Norfolk. If you don't time them right it will really slow you down.....

Frank
Rivahrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Kent Island, MD
Vessel Name: M.V. LOTTIE
Vessel Model: Lien Hwa/Pilothouse LRC
Thanks for the info on the bridges! I see where the great bridge lock is now back in operation! So that should be better thanh the dismal swamp with my draft.

12/2/13
Monday

Ah what a day. Went north coming out of Kent Narrows due to bridge maintenance, skirted around the dredge working the channel, and made it out into the Bay. Shot the East span and kept chewing South. Only one barge and one coast sized box boat, other than 12 fisherman, a very enjoyable day! Schedule did not survive first contact, but fought through it and made the getaway! Of all the things to have forgotten off the pre sail check list, underwear was the hold up! K-mart opened at 0800.....,hey I don't need to many comforts in life, but clean underwear is not something I will do without unless the zombies are getting restless.

Posted a few pics of the ride down, but the silly I-Pad camera does not do it justice! Anchored up in Solomon's just off my old pier, and enjoying the accomplishment, and getting back into the swing of things.

Plan forward: anchor aweigh 0845, shift pier side for contractors at 1030, then another trip to Worst Marine, for the ever important Grill mounting arm.....the Worst up in Kent Island did not have one on the floor.....1700 shift back out to anchorage, then I think Vincinso for dinner, they tend to fluctuate in quality, but I will give then a try again.....Wednesday morning check WX and if all systems go......Deltaville, VA!

Hope to see you out there!
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #23

City: Tokyo, Japan / Tampa, Florida / Washington, Virginia
Vessel Name: Mondai Nai
Vessel Model: Nordhaven 55 - 45
Looks like you are living the dream

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
IntervaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Will. Safe travels and "Semper ubi sub ubi".
Old 12-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Gratis tibia ago!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #26

I would have offered to meet you in Deltavillle and travel with you, but we just postponed our launch until next Friday due to too much to get done before we leave Deltavillle for Florida.

Have fun!
Dave
Old 12-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #27
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Good writing Will! Keep the posts coming...
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #28
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Ditto here

Will, tell us more about your vessel. I love the Portugese bridge. Don't remember seeing one on a Sundeck before.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #29
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Oops! My bad. I see you have a pilothouse.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Dave,

If you are in D-ville around mid week PM me and I am always open to dinner or drinks......do you have any local knowledge about the entrance, or any preference on which arm to anchor in? I went strait in and anchored last time so I have not been to the right when entering....

As for the boat, heck I love talking about it, as we all do......she is a 1981, Lien Hwa, (AKA Marine Trader) but with a diffident lay out on the lower deck, that was originally delivered for Blue Seas in Holland, the original owner plyed the Med and Europe. She was the bought and brought domestic. At some point she fell into disrepair. In 2003 she was given a three year yard period, literally striped to the frames and rebuilt, having done the rough estimate from the documents in the files, it would have been more economical to have ordered new, but hey where is the fun in that.....new 3208 NA's, 2 new Northern Lights 12Kw units, re-wired and updated, wesmar stabilizers, new fake and bake teak decks, new vacu flushes, new fuel and water tanks and the list goes on......then the owner I bought her from, continued, very nicely maintained exterior, painted a few years ago, and yard maint....so this old girl has been in the Med through Northern Europe, the Islands several times and all over the Chesapeak Bay. Now it is my turn to be a good steward, and enjoy her on the St John, and possibly some day back to the islands. She needs a few tweeks here and there but the foundation is solid, and boy is she a looker!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #31

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Looking forward to seeing her here on the St. Johns. We are at Harbortown (Inter-coastal and Atlantic Blvd)
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #32

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Model: 420DB
Will,

Congrats on the new vessel. What a great adventure.

I just took my boat south from to Charleston. Took me 6 days, where last two days I was single handed. Here's the link to my quick write up (post #143):
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...r-11741-8.html

Let me know if I can be any help.

I guess you're still around Norfolk area, so here are few comments. The VA cut is a breeze and the bridges, as well as the lock (thank God it's fixed finally) are well coordinated. However, there's one section where the timing is off.

Here's a note from my log:
From Centerville Tpk swing Br (made the 11:30am opening) need to bump it to maintain 9-10kts cruise to make 5nm run to make 12pm opening of North Landing Swing Br.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers,
Alex.
Alex F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #33

Will, we'll probably end up behind you by a bit. Our boat is in Deltavillle ready to go back in the water tomorrow but we are in NJ now and won't be in Deltavillle until the 13th. Our planned departure is the 14th. We wanted to leave now but have too much to do before we leave and - as my wife and I keep reminding each other- we are not on a schedule!

Dave
Old 12-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Dave,
.....do you have any local knowledge about the entrance, or any preference on which arm to anchor in? I went strait in and anchored last time so I have not been to the right when entering....
Sorry I meant to reply to this part... Whatever you do watch the channel markers. Outside of them the bottom comes up quickly to only a couple of feet. Here is what Zimmerman's sent me to get us to their dock. You may well see us sitting on the ZMI Face Dock if you try going in further than the entrance.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
deltaville.jpg  
Old 12-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Great scoop thanks! I appreciate all the hints and tidbits!

I am so looking forward to playing again on the St John.

12/3/13
Tuesday

VR completed, contractor was on time, efficient and way less than I had been quoted! Big shout out to Paul over at Solomon's Yacht brokerage, he knows every one, has a kick but dog, loves boats and is an all around great guy!

Weather check shows a slowly deteriorating situation over the next 48. COMLOGHOME LANT has given a green light to the next leg based on local observation in the AM. So Deltaville here we come....might sit for a few days once there if the WX closes in, but hey the Weather man is the only guy in the news room who can be wrong 90% of the time and not get fired.

Today was slow so not much to report, however if I can I will get pics of Wolf Trap light, I just like that name!

Hope to see you out there!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #36
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Hey Will, I am enjoying reading about your journey, best to you and congrats on you new boat.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #37
Veteran Member

0700 underway
Attached Thumbnails
image-3422901508.jpg  
Old 12-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #38
Guru

City: LI or Fla
All the best, safe passage and keep the updates coming, enjoying your writing style!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #39
Veteran Member

1600 all fast, FWE, and now laundry time!

12/4/13
Wednesday

What a great day on the bay! All secured for the night and as you all know, I have an underwear thing......so laundry is the top priority. The day started out cold and over cast, but now it is wonderful! Experienced no rain and I am really looking forward to the forecasted 70 deg! Boat is running great, and the folks here at the marina are tops! I posted some pics of the navigational marks, and tomarrow Wolf Trap!

So the Go Forward plan is to head out in the early AM and the take my time as the winds are forecast for Southerlies with a slightly higher intensity. Make NORVA and find a place to set up for the bridges and the Great bridge Lock. Also I will be executing a RDVU with a good friend for dinner, take on a full load of fuel, at those ridiculously low prices......ok the prices are only relatively low, but take joy in every thing you do and where you can!

Shooting the channel today was interesting, I had never been in here before only around to the south entrance, but thanks to Dave, I had a great arrival detail, and the currents were not to strong only carried about three degrees of crab in the channel!

Here is a pic of my front yard tonight........

Hope to see y'all out there!

Attached Thumbnails
image-3391477388.jpg  
Old 12-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #40
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
" but take joy in every thing you do and where you can!" Amen brother Will. Fair winds...