Old 01-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Moonstruck's got it right. I'm not letting my women-folk anywhere near you guys. No doubt you'll make me look bad! Especially you guys down under!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #42
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I concur. I've heard the average Aussie has upwards of 1000 girlfriends. The average Aussie being a cattle rancher that is....

Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I concur. I've heard the average Aussie has upwards of 1000 girlfriends. The average Aussie being a cattle rancher that is....
Why do you think those kangaroos jump so high? They even learned to box as a form of self defense.
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #44

City: New Bern, N.C.
I usually refer to the wife as the First Mate, a title she is happy with. Though new to boating since we married 13 years ago, she has jumped in with both feet and helped with the refit and repairs. I'm giving her more and more helm time as her experience and comfort levels rise. She has the con while anchoring or mooring, but is the line handler while docking. Her goal is to captain a Ladies Only weekend, which I'll all in favor of as soon as we're both comfortable with her abilities. She's a Keeper!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0016.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	26639   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0033.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	26640  
Old 01-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #45
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Why do you think those kangaroos jump so high? They even learned to box as a form of self defense.
Sorta like Texas Gals need to do when at cowbow night clubs!

When young I spent a bit of time playing around in Texas while I toured the country with a couple buddies.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #46
Veteran Member

City: Bayfield, WI
Until 12 years ago, my wife had never been aboard anything bigger than her dad's fishing boat. Now, after over 4 plus years living aboard and 19,000 miles under HER keel, she is an accomplished sailor, navigator, sailmaker, mechanic, and can do just about anything aboard the boat that I can. She still prefers that I handle the boat in tight quarters but other than that, she can do it all. As soon as our 36' sailboat sells, we are both looking forward to our next extended cruise in a yet to be determined trawler.
Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #47
Guru

Helm duty through the Straights of Mackinac

Name:	DSCN1534.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	26655

Lookout duties in Detroit Passage, Lake Huron (mid-August!)

Name:	DSCN1987.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	26657

Heavy weather forecasting and preparation

Name:	DSCN7445.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	26659

Name:	DSCN7450.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	26663
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ah the soft enticing eyes of a Jersey cow...
An angry kangaroo can rip a man open from chest down with its foot claws. They will force an harassing dog into a dam, to drown it. Male ones have made "romantic approaches" to Aussie ladies.By no means soft and cuddly.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #49
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Personally, and I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers here, my wife and I HATE the term "admiral". I realize it is supposed to be funny, and perhaps it was once or twice. Now it just makes me imagine some battle axe woman who sits on her big butt, berates her husband all day long, is miserable aboard a boat and exacts the deference she feels that her mere presence deserves.

In my opinion it's insulting to both parties and I know very few women who are actually like that. Maybe it's a generational thing, or maybe it's just me.

Now I'll apologize in advance to those I have offended.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #50
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Personally, and I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers here, my wife and I HATE the term "admiral". I realize it is supposed to be funny, and perhaps it was once or twice. Now it just makes me imagine some battle axe woman who sits on her big butt, berates her husband all day long, is miserable aboard a boat and exacts the deference she feels that her mere presence deserves.

In my opinion it's insulting to both parties and I know very few women who are actually like that. Maybe it's a generational thing, or maybe it's just me.

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #51
Art
Guru

Quote:

No apology necessary... I imagine few are offended by your feelings Doug... we mariners have thick skins and most know you just had to get that little diatribe off your mind and spilled into words! LOL

Different strokes for different folks, comes to mind!

My Linda girl does not mind being called Admiral regarding boating matters, and, I don't mind being Capt Art. I could always call her Commodore and she could call me Boss... but those titles are reserved for completely different setting all together... wink, wink!!
Old 01-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #52
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:

Wow..didn't know you were stopping at all the same marinas I have hit from NJ to Fl.......lot's of that stereotype...but probably not much between the term and stereotype either...

I'm not married, girlfriend weighs 113 and is tall, and helps out where she can.....so don't look at me....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #53
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
On Bay Pelican the terms Admiral and Captain are well suited. Just like on a warship the Captain is in charge of running / maintaining the vessel and the Admiral is in command.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #54
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
On Bay Pelican the terms Admiral and Captain are well suited. Just like on a warship the Captain is in charge of running / maintaining the vessel and the Admiral is in command.

Funny how that works!

This is how it really works, aboard our cruiser, anyway!!

Ya know, when da shat really hits da fan... it's da Captain that usually pulls rabbits out o' da hat to save da good ship lollypop! Then it's da Admiral that sooths da Captain back into sense of tranquility with security reinforced that Cappy did well and of course always has darlen Admiral there for back-up in guidance and requests ready to be spoken... as may be necessary! LOL
Old 01-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #55
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Personally, and I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers here, my wife and I HATE the term "admiral". I realize it is supposed to be funny, and perhaps it was once or twice. Now it just makes me imagine some battle axe woman who sits on her big butt, berates her husband all day long, is miserable aboard a boat and exacts the deference she feels that her mere presence deserves. In my opinion it's insulting to both parties and I know very few women who are actually like that. Maybe it's a generational thing, or maybe it's just me. Now I'll apologize in advance to those I have offended.
You are not the only one that thinks this. Bess and I really dislike the term for similar reasons. So you aren't alone. Bess is the First Mate. Period.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #56
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral,Fl
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1990 Marine Trader DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
You are not the only one that thinks this. Bess and I really dislike the term for similar reasons. So you aren't alone. Bess is the First Mate. Period.
I agree. I'm the first mate. Gina
islandtimecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #57
Art
Guru

Regarding the word/term/playful-handle "Admiral" - when used for anyone aboard a boat, especially the one most significant... to the “Captain”; no matter which gender may be called which nomenclature (i.e. position of "command" lol):

So far the count is 3 for and two against... or is that 2 for and three against (counting a couple as one!) I'm getting soooo confused! LOL

Please folks - this IS Pleasure Boat Cruising we're discussing here! Who cares what one boat fellow likes to term their other boat fellow... as long as neither fellow aboard boat minds what they may be called by one another??

You can call me CapTart of it pleases you... matters not to me; I will boat in same way I have for decades. That is: Aboard my boat... I have last word - Period! As it should be for the person (the Captain) who accepts full responsibility for safety of the boat and passaners. In tight or dangerous circumstances (actually under all instances) proper, thoughtful, and knowledgeable command of any boat I accept position on as “Captain” rests on my shoulders... not anyone else’s! The "BUCK" has to stop somewhere aboard any floating craft for there to be a truly clear line of safety for all concerned.

Linda, My Admiral, agrees – most of the time – LOL Sorry, just had to add that tid bit!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	26679  
Old 01-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #58
Guru

After my first Predicted Log race, we were having lunch awaiting the race results and I was sitting across from a gentleman and discussing the contest. As the other skippers arrived they asked the man, "how was the race admiral?" and other comments like that. I kept thinking why are they needling this guy? Turns out he was a retired Navy admiral. That was over twenty years ago. He just turned 99 and he is still racing. Must be the San Diego weather.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #59
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
After my first Predicted Log race, we were having lunch awaiting the race results and I was sitting across from a gentleman and discussing the contest. As the other skippers arrived they asked the man, "how was the race admiral?" and other comments like that. I kept thinking why are they needling this guy? Turns out he was a retired Navy admiral. That was over twenty years ago. He just turned 99 and he is still racing. Must be the San Diego weather.
Cool! Racing at 99 yrs!!
Old 01-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #60
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Yeah, different strokes. My Admiral likes to be referred to as the Admiral, and I agree that in many cases it could be a patronizing reference, but not with mine.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote