Old 02-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
RE: The Admiral

Not me, but I hope Bess will respond to this thread because, so far, Marin's wife is the only one CLOSE to our experience.

Bess, can, will, and generally WANTS to learn how to handle Skinny Dippin'. We just haven't made the time to get her skills up-to-snuff. We have our routine and we'll MAKE the time this year for sure.. I LONG for time that we can play Rock-Paper-Siccors for the helm as we dock and I am as comfortable running lines with her at the helm as I am now. She's done it a couple of times (almost) as well as me. I can't fathom what it's like to cruise with just a cook and sun-goddess on board. That doesn't sound like a team effort at all. Isn't that what this is all about?

Sun goddess pic attached!
Attached Thumbnails
p1000375.jpg  
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
The Admiral

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:Art wrote:
...last time for me was 1972 in an Island harbor on Penobscot Bay, Maine; thats whole other story!
*Do tell, please.
*Ok You asked for it, and it was FUN!* Well... it was either 1972 or 73... Those years sort of meld together, know what I mean??? lmao!!
Mr. John, Crazy K, Skibs, Trapper, Mad Dog, me and about 50 other wild and crazy boys took four to six lobster boats (with a few hundred traps set each) to Ponderosa Isle (at least thats what we called the islands name during that party, Mr. Johns family had rights to use it anyway, as I recall, it seemed like a rather small Island and had a fairly large log cabin house up on a bluff that looked like it came from the 1960s Bonanza TV show).* As I remember, it was not too far off Port Clyde and its indent-harbor was pretty small.* So... we all spent three days on the Island hauling live*lobster by the 55 gal drum up to the house and outdoor BBQ.* House had a big old fireplace with large black caldron that swung out to load with water and lobster.* We brought tons of butter with us and many kegs of beer from a pub in Camden that I had designed, built, owned and operated with Albert Richards (hope my old partner is doing well in afterlife) that in 1971 we had named The Hunter.* Skibs purchased my share and when in biz with Albert they renamed it Washington Street Pub.* After Skibs and Alberts The Pub it went through several owners and eventually closed sometime in the 1980s.* I left the area in mid 70s.* Albert and my The Hunter was a wild and crazy restaurant tavern we built to take care of lobster men, loggers, construction workers and Glouster Mass fishermen.* Man, we made good money on that baby... not bad for a couple guys in late teens and early twenties!* When we opened drinking age was 19... Within a couple months after opening the age dropped to 18 - - > that week the waiting line to get in went around the corner, boy do I remember those weekends!* As The Pub it continued its excellence as a rowdy drinking mans tavern with food and full-on weekend bands as well as many other week night musical entertainment venues.*

That lobster party on the island was pure young-man-party insanity with lots of heavy beer drinking and good ol lobster eaten fun!* If anyone curled up in a bed with covers wed chuck a few real-alive lobster in with em, they jumped up pretty quick - LOL* Thats the most lobster Ive ever seen cooked on an day after day ongoing basis in my life.* When wed run short, boats simply hauled a bunch more traps!* THE GOOD OL DAYS!!

-- Edited by Art on Monday 13th of February 2012 07:45:36 AM
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:
Timjet,

Like yours, my wife is not comfortable maneuvering the boat, so I've got an inquiry in for this Skipper Saver class in June. I'd like her to be able to do more than set the anchor, push the DSC button and talk on the radio.* I'm not going to push too hard on teh course, but want her to know that it's available if she so desires.

I'm hoping it makes for an educational, relaxing weekend and an opportunity to make new friends and see new places.* Saving my butt in an emergency just seems like icing on the cake.

*Ditto, ditto!* Al, keep us informed.* I want my Perla to take a more active part too, beyond her tremendous psychological support.
Attached Thumbnails
having fn.jpg  
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #24
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'

I run the boat with a few exceptions; head duty but heaven help me if it's rough, actual anchoring duty when she runs it at my direction [hand signals]. Docking she handles the lines while I make a mess of the throttle.
Shore lines she takes in and does a quick tie and then I'll redo to suit myself later.

She does the nav. work, reads the book, bulk of the cooking.

I too have tried to get my wife to run the boat but with the exception of necessity , she won't and I don't push it any more. I've found my wife is like Kolivers, smart in other ways but not running the boat. In my case I think I fail at explanations too. She knows what is necessary for emergencies and likes it like that, but not running it.

She likes being out on the boat, sometimes more than I do now. I like working on the boat, it's my hobby, she still likes to go out and use it.

Encourage but don't push and you will sort things out to suit yourselves.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

Random thoughts of a newbie... The wife and I have been on a few boats lately. Our own is a 20 foot O'Day. When the motor is in the water and we are making 6mph by GPS, she couldn't be less interested in taking the tiller. Hoist the laundry and catch a breeze and the knitting needles are put away and just try keeping her hands off the tiller. 3 to 7 mph no matter, just hoist the sails.

Went out on a friends 36' Albin with a single 120 made 8-9 mph all day, she enjoyed the company, liked the layout but hated the ride. Had no interest in driving when she was offered. Went with another friend who has a 30 foot '60's vintage Chris Craft woodie with a single 350 gasser. Made 15mph and she loved driving it. Got back to the no wake zone and she was not interested in driving anymore. Tried a runabout that will do 40mph and she hated that.

We talked about it day before yesterday and she told me "Driving the boat is boring when it doesn't feel like we are going anywhere". Also, "She gets nervous in the marina when there are other peoples boats she can damage". What that means I am still figuring out. She loves the sailboat under sail going slower but is bored with it motoring. For her I think it is more about the perception of speed than the speed itself. I know one thing, I'm glad I passed on a Grand Banks 36 right now! What I am learning about her on the water is she loves the layout of trawlers but is no fan of the speeds???

The Admiral is the most important thing in the boat with me. If she desires a cruiser with more speed, that's the direction we will go.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:
Timjet,

Like yours, my wife is not comfortable maneuvering the boat, so I've got an inquiry in for this Skipper Saver class in June. I'd like her to be able to do more than set the anchor, push the DSC button and talk on the radio.* I'm not going to push too hard on teh course, but want her to know that it's available if she so desires.

I'm hoping it makes for an educational, relaxing weekend and an opportunity to make new friends and see new places.* Saving my butt in an emergency just seems like icing on the cake.
Al I am interested in taking this class, let me know if you decide to take it as it would make it more fun for us if you are there.* We are keeping the boat at Delta Bay this year, we will be there April 6.* Maybe we can hook up with you and Meg in April and see if Meg is more interested in the class if she knows another couple that will be there???

As to the question in general,*I am ok driving the boat in most situations, though I don't take it in and out of the slip (I want to practice this and become comfortable with it). *I occasionally*have to remind myself which is the transmission and which is the throttle, though I would know to throttle back down before shifting gears if I picked the wrong one at first .* I also have to remind myself which button is the starter and which is the shut off.* I have as much involvement with projects as Matt does.* I occasionally drive him insane by making him help me*with a project he doesn't want to, like changing an impeller the other day.* Often times I come up with a*project Matt thinks is going to be awful but later admits turned out well, like*changing*out the electric*heads for freshwater*ones. *Like Marin, the boat is our home away from home and we spend most weekends on it, whether we go anywhere or stay at the marina.
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

PG and MP,

PM sent.*
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #28
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37

Although we have owned boats for decades it has always been my passion and my wife's tolerance. With some longer-term cruising on the horizon my wife took the Women Only (including instructors) boat handling course at the most recent Trawlerfest in Baltimore. Not only did she learn how to handle the boat well (using a Selene 47 for the class), she had a great time making lasting acquaintances with the other cruising women. They all felt having a "women only" setting was paramount in their learning. Over the course of a few days, they also decided they were all married to the same man!

dvd
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #29
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
Not me, but I hope Bess will respond to this thread because, so far, Marin's wife is the only one CLOSE to our experience.

Bess, can, will, and generally WANTS to learn how to handle Skinny Dippin'. We just haven't made the time to get her skills up-to-snuff. We have our routine and we'll MAKE the time this year for sure.. I LONG for time that we can play Rock-Paper-Siccors for the helm as we dock and I am as comfortable running lines with her at the helm as I am now. She's done it a couple of times (almost) as well as me. I can't fathom what it's like to cruise with just a cook and sun-goddess on board. That doesn't sound like a team effort at all. Isn't that what this is all about?

Sun goddess pic attached!
I*pilot the boat all the time!* I love it.**I don't have but one experience docking Skinny Dippin'.** I could do it, I'm sure of it.* But we have achieved pretty good communication in docking with him piloting and me line handling...why upset that apple cart?* Do I want to learn how to dock with confidence? Of course!

There is also another option.* SeaSense.* This is a group of women captains who will come and teach you on your trawler.* We met a pair of friends with a SeaSense captian onboard a traweler in Swansboro NC.* The friends were both married and the husbands had recently bought similar trawlers.* SeaSense taught them mechanicals as well as piloting. They easily spent 2 hours in their engine room while we were there.* They were doing a 2 week cruise or something just the three of them.
Attached Thumbnails
p1000639.jpg  
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Besslb wrote:*I don't have but one experience docking Skinny Dippin'.** I could do it, I'm sure of it.*
One thing my wife and I keep intending to do but it never seems to be the right time despite how often we use the boat is for her to practice docking out in the middle of the bay.* Throw a floatation cushion overboard and have her maneuver up to it.

She has a good grasp of how to use the shifters and throttles, particularly since being exposed to the "swivel your hips" method of determining how to manipulate the shifters to pivot the boat.* But it's mainly been a lack of learning and then practice that has kept her from getting into the docking phase of boating.* Leaving a slip is no problem for her, in part because she's not heading into something unyielding but going away from it so she doesn't have the inherent concern about a big bang happening.

But one of these days we'll make time for her to practice with a floating "target" in open water.* Once she gets that down we'll try a dock.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:
One thing my wife and I keep intending to do but it never seems to be the right time despite how often we use the boat is for her to practice docking out in the middle of the bay.* Throw a floatation cushion overboard and have her maneuver up to it.

She has a good grasp of how to use the shifters and throttles, particularly since being exposed to the "swivel your hips" method of determining how to manipulate the shifters to pivot the boat.* But it's mainly been a lack of learning and then practice that has kept her from getting into the docking phase of boating.* Leaving a slip is no problem for her, in part because she's not heading into something unyielding but going away from it so she doesn't have the inherent concern about a big bang happening.

But one of these days we'll make time for her to practice with a floating "target" in open water.* Once she gets that down we'll try a dock.
*We hired a captain when we first bought the boat. If I remember correctly, we used a No-Wake buoy to practice circling around in small manuevers.* My biggest issue is my height.* The throttle cable sticks a little and I'm not tall enough to grab the throttle and manhandle it from above.* For me it's more like holding a beer tap.* So I'm a little timid with the precision needed in docking.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #32
Master and Commander

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
As to the question in general,*I am ok driving the boat in most situations, though I don't take it in and out of the slip (I want to practice this and become comfortable with it). *I occasionally*have to remind myself which is the transmission and which is the throttle, though I would know to throttle back down before shifting gears if I picked the wrong one at first .*
*Know the feeling, Jennifer.* That's why there's five fenders on each side of the Coot.
Attached Thumbnails
img_1080[1].jpg  
Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #33
Master and Commander

This spring*intend to MOB practice with a third-full (of water) Clorox bottle, hopefully with the Admiral eventually*being helmsman.* So, if you see the Coot operating "erratically" in the Carquinez Strait, you'll know why.
Attached Thumbnails
com jones point anchor.jpg  
Old 02-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Besslb wrote:My biggest issue is my height.* The throttle cable sticks a little and I'm not tall enough to grab the throttle and manhandle it from above.* For me it's more like holding a beer tap.
*Don't know if you drive sitting down or standing up, or up top or at the lower helm.* But if you drive standing up perhaps something like*what we in the film industry call an apple box would help.* It's a sturdy,*fully closed box with oval hand holds cut in each end.* They are made in various thicknesses from about six inches to a couple of feet.* In every Paul Newman movie you've ever seen, whenever he was in a medium shot*or close up with another person (or a horse) he was standing on an apple box or walking on a row of them.* He was a really short little guy.

If you drive sitting down perhaps a comfortable foam riser underneath you would help.

Both ideas I'm sure you've thought of already but thought I'd throw them out anyway.....
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:17 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:
*Don't know if you drive sitting down or standing up, or up top or at the lower helm.* perhaps a comfortable foam riser underneath you would help.
*Haha...when driving sitting at the upper helm...I use my feet to steer, because I can't reach the wheel!* ** I have to stand up to reach the throttle!* hahaha.

On the UP side, I think our head and galley are HUGE!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #36
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
timjet wrote:
We've owned our boat for a year and a half. She picked out the boat and is still very enthusiastic about cruising on it. I don't want to change that. However she does not like or want to learn how to operate it. I've explained the many situations that may require her to have the skills necessary to do some basic boat maneuvering but still she does not want to learn and is very reluctant to take the helm in close quarters or in a channel with oncoming traffic. I've noticed her depth perception is not good as she is concerned about traffic that has no conflict potential, so I attribute this as one reason for her reluctance to taking the helm.*

While at anchor recently our windlass failed and she had to maneuver the boat up to the anchor so I could retrieve it manually. She did fine but I could tell she did not want to do this even though she realized there was no other way. Afterwards we spent some time allowing her to maneuver the boat in that same anchorage with the anchor stowed. Again she did fine, but did not want to do it.*

So, in order to keep her*enthusiasum*about using the boat I've decided to stop encouraging her to learn how to maneuver it. Our cruising grounds are the ICW in southern FL so if I was incapacitated she could set the anchor and call for help, which she does know how to do.*

I'm sure this is an issue with some others and could like to hear your comments.*

My wife would not operate any of our previous boats because they were "too fast".* She will operate our trawler* in open water and on the ICW and she will operate it as I deploy and retrieve the anchor but she will not operate it in a congested area or attempt to dock it.

She doesn't understand or know how to use the VHF or chart plotter other than to follow a pre loaded route.* I doubt she knows how to deploy the anchor by herself.

Does this concern me?* -* Yes, it does.* If something happens to me on the water and I'm not already dead, I would hope to be rescued and restored to health.

I'm trying to figure out how to teach her about operating the boat and electronics, but so far, I haven't come up with much.* If I could find a "women only" boating class taught by women, I would send her to it.* I think that would work better than me trying to teach her.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #37
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37

Ron,
As Bess mentioned, check out SeaSense. They are the group that ran the Women Boathandling course at Trawlerfest. Private instruction is a bit pricey - I don't remember how much the 2-day Trawlerfest course was, but it seemed reasonable at the time.

dvd
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

Ron, maybe a power squadron or CG basic boating class?* Matt and I took one and it was fun.* We knew a lot of it but learned new things too.*
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #39

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan

Rosemary does not have a lot of interest in piloting the boat. I have mentioned that she might need to know and she can, I think, follow a course on the plotter. Last fall at an MTOA rendezvous we attended a session taught by Jeff and Karen Sigel (Active Captain) that dealt with on board emergencies. I thought it was well done and towards the end Jeff and Karen reviewed some procedures to follow for an emergency, MOB, health issues; anyway Jeff was saying to either call the CG or 911 if at a marina. My wife turns to me and says," Now let me get this straight, if you suffer a heart attack on the boat, I should call 911 or the Coast Guard before I call the yacht broker? Why?"
OUCH!
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I like her sense of humor!!

I hope!!!!
Boathommy is offline   Reply With Quote