Administration Has Stopped All Recreational and People to People Travel To Cuba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why I get defensive against the constant bombarding of government officials...everyone thinks they know best till they get there... it ain't always greed and self serving that messes things up.

Excellent point.

This is still about Cuba right?

I never wanted to visit Cuba.
I have it on a fairly reliable source, outside of the touristy sections, Cuba is very depressing.

Hmmm, if I am so rich why do I own a small boat?
Could it be, I like my money better than a bigger boat?

We are always a half step from the stone age. Carrying capacity approximately ten million. Better check your history.

And yet, here we are.

Sitting there smugly citing 'carrying capacity' is of no help.

There's a lot more at stake here than just a boat trip. My opinion is simple, the sanctions are being implemented for very valid reasons - be part of the solution.

There's a lot more at stake here than just a boat trip. My opinion is simple, the sanctions are being implemented for very valid reasons - be part of the solution.

Why doesn't every other country in the world see those reasons?

Why do neighbors generally care less about what one is doing? Unless it affects their property values.... :)

I didn't ask why they didn't care - I asked why they didn't see the reasons that Charlie says the US sees.

And Charlie, what are those reasons exactly?

Wifey B: This discussion should just be about the change in policy regarding boaters to Cuba. Not about the reasons or the politics or the military or the 1% or any other % or who did what to whom and why. It's a boating forum. We all have our views on the subject and on the administration and on everything else, but they're really not for here. Some of us have held back on expressing those views, recognizing this isn't the time or place. :mad:

Wifey B: This discussion should just be about the change in policy regarding boaters to Cuba. Not about the reasons or the politics or the military or the 1% or any other % or who did what to whom and why. It's a boating forum. We all have our views on the subject and on the administration and on everything else, but they're really not for here. Some of us have held back on expressing those views, recognizing this isn't the time or place. :mad:

While I somewhat agree with you, we as boaters are also voters. The MTOA, DeFever Owners and AGLCA have been fighting anchoring restrictions in FL and are now also looking at the recent GA law. Members of these groups have put up money to make sure that our voices are heard.

A balanced discussions around trying to understand why these decisions are made, especially when they negatively affect the freedoms we have, should be fine.

Of course there is a line, and I think we are all smart enough to know where that is. Whether someone chooses to ignore their smarts is I guess at their risk.

A balanced discussions around trying to understand why these decisions are made, especially when they negatively affect the freedoms we have, should be fine.

Of course there is a line, and I think we are all smart enough to know where that is. Whether someone chooses to ignore their smarts is I guess at their risk.

Wifey B: Well, I think that's a topic for other places. People have shown over and over they can't handle it. :rofl:

Wifey B: Well, I think that's a topic for other places. People have shown over and over they can't handle it. :rofl:

BandB, I too see the start of this discussion turning into something that other than its stated and intended discussion, "Administration Has Stopped All Recreational and People to People Travel To Cuba"
This is a touchy subject for those who had plans or a pipe dream of taking their boat to Cuba.
It will eventually turn into a political discussion about the govt's restriction on our travel.

Last edited:
Like I posted...post the worlds answer and i will hand carry it to Washington.

Star Trek economy

. You have Captain Picard saying, ‘We’ve overcome hunger and greed, and we’re no longer interested in the accumulation of things.'”

Saadia is fascinated by the idea of a society in which material wealth has become so abundant that possessing it no longer holds any appeal. In such a world the only way to gain status would be by cultivating talent and intellect.

<snipped>

“If we decide as a society to make more of these crucial things available to all as public goods, we’re probably going to be well on our way to improving the condition of everybody on Earth,” he says.

https://www.wired.com/2016/05/geeks-guide-star-trek-economics/

. Some of us have held back on expressing those views, recognizing this isn't the time or place. :mad:

I see some Americans using this excuse a lot.

After yet another massacre is not the time and place to discuss gun reform.
While your govt. Is banning you from travel, now is not the time to talk about that.
When exactly is the time? :confused:

Reactions: Imp
I see some Americans using this excuse a lot.

After yet another massacre is not the time and place to discuss gun reform.
While your govt. Is banning you from travel, now is not the time to talk about that.
When exactly is the time? :confused:

Wifey B: It all merits discussion, just not on a boating forum. I have strong opinions of it all. But time and place. You want to find out my opinions, then just send me a private message and I'll blast away. Doesn't mean at all that I don't think there are some serious issues. :)

Why doesn't every other country in the world see those reasons?

And, on that same note, why, when no one but the US has any type of economic sanctions against it, is Cuba still such a dump, with most (non-party member) citizens there unable to purchase the most basic necessities, or to have 24/7 electric power?

Wifey B: It all merits discussion, just not on a boating forum. I have strong opinions of it all. But time and place. You want to find out my opinions, then just send me a private message and I'll blast away. Doesn't mean at all that I don't think there are some serious issues. :)

1) Go to "Thread Tools" (beside "Search This Thread") at top of page.

2) Click on it.

3) Click on "Ignore This Thread"

4) :thumb:

Folks have no patience, it has only been 59 years since the first embargo began! :oldman:

Maybe next year is the year that they effect change! :ermm: :facepalm: :hide:

Jim

1) Go to "Thread Tools" (beside "Search This Thread") at top of page.

2) Click on it.

3) Click on "Ignore This Thread"

4) :thumb:

Wifey B: But the original topic is important. We'd thought about a trip there. I just think it's strange that people think those who choose not to engage in political discussions here don't have strong views. I wonder if there's a feeling on a political forum about those who choose not to engage in boat discussions. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to ignore a thread simply because I don't like some of the posts. I'll just watch, enjoy, and toss in the occasional post. Not going to call anyone an idiot. :ermm:

"citizens there unable to purchase the most basic necessities, or to have 24/7 electric power?"

Wait Wait , there are no restrictions on visiting PR!

“If we decide as a society to make more of these crucial things available to all as public goods, we’re probably going to be well on our way to improving the condition of everybody on Earth,” he says.

How can one exist without a Maybach?
Park mine next to last weeks Porsche please!

The 2019 Mercedes-Maybach S-Class Sedan - Mercedes-Benz USA

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. FF. Excellent comment although I suspect by the time the Star Trek economy takes hold we'll all have transporters...

200.webp

On the other hand, this is a damned good start: https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry...-happiness-economy_n_5cf4f7e1e4b0e8085e3cf4b0

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. FF. Excellent comment although I suspect by the time the Star Trek economy takes hold we'll all have transporters...

]

I'm thinking more along the lines of if some didnt waste $700 BILLION a year building bombs bullets and various killing machines to well.... kill people and instead used that coin to invent actual usable product like, replicators..........

Or start small and provide clean drinking water to oh, I don't know, Flint Michigan?
Continue on from there.

. This Country Is Basing Its Entire Budget On The Happiness Of Its People
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry...-happiness-economy_n_5cf4f7e1e4b0e8085e3cf4b0

Crazy .
Not enough killing and oppression, how will big business and shareholders ever make money?

Last edited:
Bringing this back a bit. I think we are aware of the following in the Declaration of Independence;

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Especially on Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. Isn't that a great description of why we boat?

I get it than a government can curtail these Creator given rights in light of a higher magnitude responsibility of protecting the country, but I would like to see a clear justification that this is the case, rather than blindly accepting it. As mentioned above there are plenty of countries we do not prohibit travel to where there are more issues.impacting this country. And I believe it was only two years ago that travel to North Korea was prohibited!

Greetings,
Mr. m. Of course the country has to be protected! How does one create an enemy of the state? Stick one's nose in their affairs, overthrow their government and install puppets to do YOUR bidding then bomb the cr*p out of them when your puppet goes rogue (Think Saddam Husein here among several others).

Much is made of Cuba's support of Argentina with the condemnation of both countries by the US for human rights abuses. Noble reasoning IMO. Unfortunately, the US is also a major supporter of the Zionist government in Israel. Palestinian apartheid is MY beef with said government (Israel).

Reactions: Imp
Always easy to view different problems from different angles. The whole package is always gray on so many levels (at least international relations).

Simplifying at any point can create reasons to react in different ways..... overcomplicating just means inaction and letting basic wrongs go unsettled.

If it were an easy task...everyone could and would be doing it.

Always easy to view different problems from different angles. The whole package is always gray on so many levels (at least international relations).

Simplifying at any point can create reasons to react in different ways..... overcomplicating just means inaction and letting basic wrongs go unsettled.

If it were an easy task...everyone could and would be doing it.

Yup, and easier still to cherry-pick examples of US failures—real or imagined—and sweeten them with platitudes about deep-state conspiracies and blood lust. Easy enough if your biggest choice in life is subject/verb agreement on your next post.

As a one-time gov’t “official,” I’d be the first to admit that the US is far from perfect . . . but it is controversial because it’s consequential. For every military quagmire, support for a dictator or ill-fated covert operation there have been nascent democracies established, massive humanitarian investments made and the establishment of a world order that has contained—if not eliminated—the prospect of another world war. Some of these steps have been clearly in our self-interest and some altruistic.

Keeping the gov’t ox out of the ditch is a constant struggle and often it fails. But, as a Canadian immigrant, I’d much rather see the US continue to stumble toward its vision of a world order than have any other super power assume that role. (Russia/China, anyone?)

As for the change in Cuban travel policy, it has nothing to do with anything noble or even in our ultimate self-interest. It’s purely about 2020.

Doesn’t bother me a bit. I’ve seen the rafts. I figure if the people living there are that desperate to leave, I have no interest in going there. The Cuban government uses the money they receive from tourists to support a brutal dictator in Venezuela. Don’t think I want to help them do that either.

Yep. Any visiting yachtsmen who want to experience the real Cuba only need to put the word out while they are there that they are willing to help anyone who is trying to escape the tropical worker’s paradise.

They will have some sure enough stories to tell then!

Last edited:
Yup, and easier still to cherry-pick examples of US failures—real or imagined—and sweeten them with platitudes about deep-state conspiracies and blood lust. Easy enough if your biggest choice in life is subject/verb agreement on your next post.

As a one-time gov’t “official,” I’d be the first to admit that the US is far from perfect . . . but it is controversial because it’s consequential. For every military quagmire, support for a dictator or ill-fated covert operation there have been nascent democracies established, massive humanitarian investments made and the establishment of a world order that has contained—if not eliminated—the prospect of another world war. Some of these steps have been clearly in our self-interest and some altruistic.

Keeping the gov’t ox out of the ditch is a constant struggle and often it fails. But, as a Canadian immigrant, I’d much rather see the US continue to stumble toward its vision of a world order than have any other super power assume that role. (Russia/China, anyone?)

As for the change in Cuban travel policy, it has nothing to do with anything noble or even in our ultimate self-interest. It’s purely about 2020.

I will repost my comments in post #51... to concur

"The US is far from perfect but also far from turning a blind eye to many international wrongs.

I would love to sit back and let other powerful nation's be a world super power and let them call the shots.

Hope you all enjoy that ride."

Anyone who is a parent understands the point of being in power but balancing how they positively or negatively affect the environment of the house...... let me meet the perfect parent and I would elect them president of the US.

I will repost my comments in post #51... to concur

"The US is far from perfect but also far from turning a blind eye to many international wrongs.

I would love to sit back and let other powerful nation's be a world super power and let them call the shots.

Hope you all enjoy that ride."

Anyone who is a parent understands the point of being in power but balancing how they positively or negatively affect the environment of the house...... let me meet the perfect parent and I would elect them president of the US.

Ha, sorry about the apparent plagiarism. I should have read the whole thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom