Administration Has Stopped All Recreational and People to People Travel To Cuba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thirteen countries took part in D-Day.
I know and it hasn't gone unnoticed to me...or probably by anyone who ever wore a uniform.

But you are missing the larger point by a mile. Subtract us from WWII and post war decades. Yes we have made mistakes, but where would the world be?

If it's such a clear answer, please post it and I will carry it to Washington myself.

One of my favorite nights while sailing the western hemisphere was in Prince Rupert at the cost of a wallet contents belonging to a nice Canadian lawyer who refuse to let me or my USCG mates buy a beer all night..... he insisted and kept saying if it weren't for us, he would be speaking Russian. Maybe there's another point of view up there? :D

Last edited:
Folks, Boat was being sarcastic, read his post again - basically saying, if we are so bad why do so many people move here from other countries.

Boat...sorry...now I see the sarcasm (hope that's true :D)...

But so many others that live and die here that bitc* every day...well I am spring loaded... sorry again...:angel:

But you are missing the larger point by a mile. Subtract us from WWII and post war decades. Yes we have made mistakes, but where would the world be?

This is a pointless debate, one often useful only to small minds that genuinely can't understand big pictures. The world is where it is, right or wrong, at the hands of many players. There is no going back to any rose-colored viewpoints of the past.

A hard question to deal with is how much "prosperity" can be afforded. Not just by one country or one budget, but by all people on our world.

Quite often those that have some, but not as much as others, are ready and willing to argue against helping "everyone else". As in, I ain't barely got none and I sure as **** don't want to help "those people". Certainly a strong concern, from that small-minded point of view, but hardly an effective one on which to base international policies. This is rapidly followed up with "we can't afford to help everyone... so **** 'em, let someone else pay". Again, from a small-minded point of view that seems to have some sensibility.

Until "those people" realize they too, are being "left out".

Meanwhile a whole array of folks that ARE making a ton of money continue to wage a startlingly effective campaign of fear-mongering propaganda while robbing everyone blind. The "little people" are conned into paying for it all under various guises. Patriotism, nationalism, military campaigns, etc. Next thing you know they're faking pretenses for war... and the whole wretched cycle repeats.

Those that have studied history are doomed to watch it be repeated by those that haven't.

Much like the Olympics, I think a countries impact shouldn't be based on total numbers, but shown as a percentage of population. If viewed through that lens, other countries have probably done more.

Greetings,
Mr. 99. That's a pretty damned astute comment. Thanks.

Mr. MM. Just saw your post: "If viewed through that lens,..." Well, I really don't think that's a fair way of looking at things. How does one quantify impact? Is Scotland up near the top of "contributors" because Sir Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin? How about Gutenburg, a German? How about Iceland and Leif Ericson? He discovered America. Incidentally, Iceland is the only country ever to purge itself of McDonald's! How about "0 sold".

Last edited:
Folks, Boat was being sarcastic, read his post again - basically saying, if we are so bad why do so many people move here from other countries.

Yes. I had to read it twice myself.

Expand your horizons by going thousands of miles to stay in a hotel nearly like the one which is only blocks from your own house. Congratulations.

If anyone is concerned about the fact that the skipper & I spent a night in a motel in Key West watching tv & eating ice cream in bed after an arduous passage from the Bay Islands & while Yankee Rogue was on the hard for the repairs that had caused us to drift for days, that's silly. We'd been out-island a couple of months after leaving Cartagena & when we finally caught the wind, it was head-on & it took us 3 days to beat our way into Key West. It's no fun living in the yard, which we knew because we'd done it enough times to know, & if we didn't deserve a couple of pints of premium ice cream that night--well, that really isn't for anyone else to judge.

Greetings,
Ms. I. Ok. So what flavours?

200w.webp

Last edited:
We were there for New Years '15/'16. Mostly good experiences, I would go back again. Would love to cruise the south coast of Cuba, it still has a lot of wild/undeveloped coastline.

Met wonderful friendly people and kids everywhere we stopped. First guy I met was a mechanical engineer (like me), riding an old 50cc Soviet-era 2 stroke. Had a laptop on the rack, was in transit to work. Sharp guy.

We walked all over Trinidad after midnight, danced and drank with the locals.
They wouldn't let us pass their homes, insisted we come in and party with them. Never felt unsafe there.

Yeah, the infrastructure there is thin/worn out. No incentive for a capitalist to invest there at this point in time. But many/most have smartphones, stand on corners for internet where they can connect because they don't have good affordable service to homes. It will get worked out.

Scrounging "Buckaneros" dark beer at end of each day became a mission. Easy to find Heinekens (the Germans drink that), but we liked the Bucks.

We had some sincere talks about Cuba with local ham radio operators and Cubanos we rode motorcycles with there, that was good to hear their views on where things were really at in Cuba.

FYI: my dad shot 8 holes of golf at Guantanamo in '43 while on liberty there from the aircraft carrier he served on.

Greetings,
Ms. I. Ok. So what flavours?

It is safe to assume some form of chocolate was involved, likely Mint Chocolate Chip. My late skipper, Rocket Man, being from Rhode Island, was partial to Coffee, the #1 choice in that mighty state.

If anyone is concerned about the fact that the skipper & I spent a night in a motel in Key West watching tv & eating ice cream in bed after an arduous passage from the Bay Islands & while Yankee Rogue was on the hard for the repairs that had caused us to drift for days, that's silly. We'd been out-island a couple of months after leaving Cartagena & when we finally caught the wind, it was head-on & it took us 3 days to beat our way into Key West. It's no fun living in the yard, which we knew because we'd done it enough times to know, & if we didn't deserve a couple of pints of premium ice cream that night--well, that really isn't for anyone else to judge.

Are you married?

On your answer I will evaluate my "concern."

Agree, good post Mr. 99.

I traveled to quite a few poorer nations when I was younger. My experiences were often as GF described in Post 70.

wkearney99...

I barely understood what you are saying...and while I agree about the repeating history thing... pointless debate? Small minded?

Are we to assume you know something the rest of us doesn't?

Here's the same thing I posted before that I will throw at you...

"If it's such a clear answer, please post it and I will carry it to Washington myself."

"If it's such a clear answer, please post it and I will carry it to Washington myself."

I'm actually quite surprised that you think "Washington" would understand a clear answer.

And even if they saw it as clear, the first thing they would do is make it unclear.

The masses can't be telling them what to do.

Greetings,
Mr. F. We've traveled some and overall had very positive experiences. You get out what you put into your travels. I've experienced first hand other tourists being downright nasty to local people. One really has to wonder how good a vacation THEY are having.

I traveled abroad to the US in January '86.

Still trying to work out the friggin' natives.

BTW, does EVERYONE here have a personal analyst? (that was the question we were asking after our first three months in Marin County!)

I'm actually quite surprised that you think "Washington" would understand a clear answer.

And even if they saw it as clear, the first thing they would do is make it unclear.

The masses can't be telling them what to do.

See....if there WAS a CLEAR answer for almost anything in Washington...it might catch on.

Everyone loves to think THEY have the answer till they get in the shoes that actually make the decisions.

I saw that working my way up in the USCG...I am sure almost everyone here thinks they have had the answers till they are boss.

That's why I get defensive against the constant bombarding of government officials...everyone thinks they know best till they get there... it ain't always greed and self serving that messes things up.

Are you married?
On your answer I will evaluate my "concern."

Are you effin' serious? OK, then. Yes, I was married to my beloved late skipper, Rocket Man, for 45 years; widowed for 7 years, & am now enjoying life again with my genuine war hero husband, Fly Boy.

You?

Are you effin' serious? OK, then. Yes, I was married to my beloved late skipper, Rocket Man, for 45 years; widowed for 7 years, & am now enjoying life again with my genuine war hero husband, Fly Boy.

You?

If anyone is concerned about the fact that the skipper & I spent a night in a motel in Key West...

:)

You know, to be in the top one per cent of the world, income and wealth wise, only requires about $32,000 of yearly income, and about $750,000 in assets. So how how many of us evil one per centers are members of this forum exactly?

And, how weird is it to be in that one per cent, but to still be jealous of the people who have more?

That's the rub..not everyone is greedy and many happy to be comfortable in that 1-10%. Even though it might be below their national average.

What bothers me is those IN that 1% that continually bitc* about the government, armed forces, first responders, etc and yet while they have the means at any point to do more to change things...they rather bitc* than fight or just help.

Only bested by those that criticize others who have to make quick, life and death decisions and yet their big drama of the day is which stock to sell.

Last edited:
What bothers me is those IN that 1% that continually bitc* about the government, armed forces, first responders, etc and yet while they have the means at any point to do more to change things...they rather bitc* than fight or just help.

What bothers me is the 5-15% that turn a blind eye toward what's being done because they're afraid that will someone impact their ability to somehow, someday, get into the 1% class. Estate, gains and health taxes, especially. Conned into reducing the tax load on the 1% because they're desperate to BE in the 1%.... not realizing that ain't ever gonna happen.

Like I posted...post the worlds answer and i will hand carry it to Washington.

I learned a long time ago it's easier to bitc* than act in places like the US where getting ahead isn't as hard as some make it. The rest of the world has problems that NO ONE has the answer for because even the US can not always change world politics....even tho we try and miserably fail sometimes.

And no, every day there are people fighting the good fight...lump it all together as a mess and that's exactly what will reign supreme.

Last edited:
What bothers me is the 5-15% that turn a blind eye toward what's being done because they're afraid that will someone impact their ability to somehow, someday, get into the 1% class. Estate, gains and health taxes, especially. Conned into reducing the tax load on the 1% because they're desperate to BE in the 1%.... not realizing that ain't ever gonna happen.

Or maybe, they’re just not jealous. I have a brother, a millionaire many times over, who started out exactly like me. I would never change my life to work as hard as I have seen him work over the years, nor am I the least bit jealous of him. Why would I presume that I deserve his money more than he does? Why would anyone presume they deserve his money more than him and his family?

If anyone on this forum really believes in equitable redistribution of wealth, I hope they are prepared to have their floating toys seized. But, I’m betting the line is always drawn just above them in their plan.

I, for one, am happy with what I have achieved on my own, and happy to leave those who have achieved more than me alone.

This is still about Cuba right?

It goes directly to the satisfaction or dissatisfaction of the administration's point of view on Cuba and those inputs from residents of other countries and how important they are to US policy of it's own citizens.

So how how many of us evil one per centers are members of this forum exactly? And, how weird is it to be in that one per cent, but to still be jealous of the people who have more?

Or is it just the opposite? In my experience, the major expression of jealousy, no matter the income level of those with the green eyes, is toward the poor because they are the ones are causing all our economic problems. Amazing, isn't it, that all the fuss is about children, the disabled, folks, our veterans, the homeless, the unemployed & underemployed, single parents, etc.--those who are ruining the American way because they are in need of food & health care? Let's face it, the poor are just plain greedy. If they would just stop depending on the rich, the rich would be richer, & the middle income people would also be better off. Gee whiz, it's all those darn poor folks that are the causing our country not to be great. Take away their reduced benefits & the rest of us will all prosper! Absurd, yes, but that's the way our country votes.

BTW, I'd rather talks about boats--I'm in the market for a new one. Fly Boy & I have cruising plans. Let's get back to more appropriate Forum topics--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom