Old 01-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #1

Adding a captain's chair to lower helm - ideas?

Hi Everyone,
I'd like to add a pedestal chair (captain's chair) in the salon of my new Marine Trader. As you can see from the picture - there is no seat there, and standing for hours would not be fun.

http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/d...=03-Salon1.jpg

Ideally - I'd have a pedestal base in the cabin sole, which would allow me to remove the pedestal when necessary.
I'd like a leather, very comfortable type chair - along the style of what is found in the the nicer, newer trawlers (ie, Krogen or Nordhaven), but I'm sure these seats are BIG money...
Any ideas?
(I also dont want anything TOO large, as it may block the companionway door)
7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Killick
Vessel Model: Defever 50 LRC
RE: Adding a captain's chair to lower helm - ideas?

We also wanted a comfy captains chair for our upper helm, but the spendy Noordhaven types were way more than what we wanted to spend.* The solution for us was a regular leather executive chair mounted on a Garelick pedestal.* It's comfortable, can be raised up for steering or lowered and swiveled 360 to become part of the social area.* Best of all....the pedestal cost about $90 and the chair was free.* Not really offshore/big sea ready, but we coastal cruise, so it's not a big deal.

Killick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #3

That's perfect!
Do you recall what model or size pedestal you have? What is the max/min length of the pedestal when compressed or extended?
How did you manage to mount the office chair to the pedestal? Just drilled new holes and bolted on, or...?
Old 01-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I'd like to add a pedestal chair (captain's chair) in the salon of my new Marine Trader. As you can see from the picture - there is no seat there, and standing for hours would not be fun.

http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/d...=03-Salon1.jpg

Ideally - I'd have a pedestal base in the cabin sole, which would allow me to remove the pedestal when necessary.
I'd like a leather, very comfortable type chair - along the style of what is found in the the nicer, newer trawlers (ie, Krogen or Nordhaven), but I'm sure these seats are BIG money...
Any ideas?
(I also dont want anything TOO large, as it may block the companionway door)
You will get a much better seat if you opt for a bucket seat from an auto wrecking yard. The quality CAN be right up there with Recarro and Stidd. Get your base and your seat together with a steel fabricator/machinist, and you will have the high end seat at the lowest price.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #5

That's also a great idea... and I could find something which looks more upscale... nice.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Doc
Guru

I bought a drafting chair and replace the wheels with pads. In rough seas, I stand up. I like the chair because I can also use in while stationary to do my computer stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
drafting chair.jpg  
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Ours came with a fixed pedestal thru-bolted through the sole and a todd chair with arms and cushions. Very comfortable.

This pretty much looks identical to the chair we have at our lower helm and then just a standard base which I think run around $50-75:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...0250&id=134743

The chair is surprisingly comfortable despite the low cost. *The time spent trying to put together a custom set up may not save that much money than getting a basic chair like the one that was put in our boat by the PO. *

Here is a pic of our set up:

-- Edited by Woodsong on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 12:53:51 PM
Attached Thumbnails
lower helm chair.jpg  
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville

Take a look at Garelick. http://www.garelick.com/product.php?pnumber=43130
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #9

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse

The first year with our trawler we only had a lowly wooden stool for the captain. *Last year we upgraded with two inexpensive bar-height directors chairs (although you can only see one of them in the picture). *They fold away easily when we need more room, and when open, are surprisingly comfortable and stable.

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 03:02:15 PM

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 03:05:55 PM
Attached Thumbnails
dep sci to prov to sbyc to dutch har to ston to pj 026.jpg   wilson haul out 002.jpg  
Attached Images

Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl

I liked Arctic travellers idea about getting the captains seats from van conversion companies. If you look on Ebay, their is a good selection of chairs very reasonably priced. Two days ago (it may have expired already) somebody was selling 2 nice captains chairs(with pedestals) from an ocean alexander 54. The bid was only around $130 or so-for the pair. The listings on there seemed to be really reasonable or very pricey. Do a key word search Of "seats" in the boat interior parts. I also search "leather seats" in automotive interior section.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Quote:
Doc wrote:

I bought a drafting chair and replace the wheels with pads. In rough seas, I stand up. I like the chair because I can also use in while stationary to do my computer stuff.
I did the same. Works very well.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Like Tony I put in a Todd helm chair,*the kind often used on the flying bridge of trawlers. I tried to*use a nice office desk chair but it was just too big to fit where I wanted it. For now*the pedestal*is lagg bolted to the floor I can't get to the underside of the floor without cutting up the engine room insulation.* I'll keep an eye on it if it looks like it is getting even a bit loose I'll bite the bullett, cut the insulation and through bolt it. I made a removeable extension piece for the standard pedestal to raise it high enough for good visibility when driving from below, which I very*seldom do. The extension is easy to remove and then I can lower the chair, swivel it around for sitting* feet on floor with company in the saloon.
I did add a very sturdy hand hold and foot rest*which will help keep whoever is driving steady in rough water.
** Not long ago I saw a post (maybe here) of someone who's chair had come loose and he fell over in some weather, be carefull, especially if it is not through bolted.
Steve W
Attached Thumbnails
inside helm seat raised.jpg   inside helm seat lowered.jpg   helm handrail 007.jpg  
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #13

Delia Rosa -
I LOVE the wheel you have there - any idea where I can find one like that?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:

Delia Rosa -
I LOVE the wheel you have there - any idea where I can find one like that?
I am not going to limit myself to just the wheel on Delia Rosa. * I think I've concluded I totally love ALL of that boat. *I am a sucker for a raised pilothouse with nice lines!! *
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #15
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
charles wrote:

From many years of experience in coastal cruising, you want the chair lag bolted or bolted to the sole.
I did many decades ago and would have it no other way, long hours of trying to hold on in a rocking and pitching boat is NOT fun. We avoided such conditions but one does get caught now and then.

Like others I pur an office chair that would fit, one with arms and good pading, removed the legs, added a slide for back and forth adjustment and a fixed height pedistal lagscrewed to the sole.
Never a problem with it and very comfortable.
CCC
I agree wholeheartedly about bolting it down. If you use a car seat, you get the slide mechanism, lumbar support and possibly more adjustments all thrown in.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Killick
Vessel Model: Defever 50 LRC

Quote:
Carey wrote:

charles wrote:

From many years of experience in coastal cruising, you want the chair lag bolted or bolted to the sole.
I did many decades ago and would have it no other way, long hours of trying to hold on in a rocking and pitching boat is NOT fun. We avoided such conditions but one does get caught now and then.

Like others I pur an office chair that would fit, one with arms and good pading, removed the legs, added a slide for back and forth adjustment and a fixed height pedistal lagscrewed to the sole.
Never a problem with it and very comfortable.
CCC
I agree wholeheartedly about bolting it down. If you use a car seat, you get the slide mechanism, lumbar support and possibly more adjustments all thrown in.

Definitely bolt it down securely - we've got the pedestal base lag-bolted into a deck beam and through-bolted with big washers where it doesn't fall on a deck beam.* It's very solid in all conditions.*

There is a slide mechanism that Garelick sells that turns the fixed mount into a slider.* We didn't do that - just made our own adapter mount (plywood) to allow for the bolt pattern on the base of the chair.*

Looked at the RV captains chairs, and decided to go with the executive chair style just because of the overall size.* A little more compact and better looking IMHO.* Best thing is - there's no real need to spend the $4K+ on a STIDD

Killick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #17
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

Killick wrote:

"Best thing is - there's no real need to spend the $4K+ on a STIDD"

Not having a clue what a STIDD was, I Googled... wow. Those are awesome chairs.

I guess somebody has to make chairs for mega-yachts. Putting one of those on my boat would be like putting Chanel#5 on a cow patty.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #18
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC

While definitely not a pedestal chair, this lower helm seat looks pretty comfy.*
Might be a perfect fit for your trawler.

[img]download.spark?ID=862965&aBID=115492[/img]

[img]download.spark?ID=863108&aBID=115492[/img]

JUST KIDDING

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 08:17:25 PM

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 10:01:38 PM
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I bought a marine chair from Harbor Marine in Everett Wa. Wasn't cheap but it sure wasn't expensive. It does slide back and forth about 4". As one can see from my pic I didn't make it high enough. I've got to send away and get a new 3" tube that's higher and I plan to make 2 struts (at 90 degrees) to hold the tube about 12" above the floor. The forces on the floor flange must be really high.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 09:57:38 PM
Attached Thumbnails
all to 12-15-09 164.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #20
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Good photo, Eric!
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote