Old 12-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
I would be hesitant to use a plastic access panel on centerline tank presumably located below the water line. A hole in the hull into the tank could pop the access panel and sink the boat. I would not be concerned about using that access panel on a tank located above the waterline.
I'm a little confused by that statement. Wouldn't a hole in the hull anywhere but in the tank also sink the boat? Please explain how a port in the water tank increases the risk of a sinking.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. WK. You are absolutely correct if the tank is stand alone. I answered with relation to our tanks which are integral to the hull and WOULD pose a problem if holed and not ported robustly enough. Doh! Apologies to those concerned.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
Everyone needs one of these: (or better)

http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Eclipse-...bs_401578011_5
I find this one pretty slick. $20, USB, lottsa cable:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EQNCMTY/...=IXJQFJ8B4N5TC

Old 12-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #24
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I'm a little confused by that statement. Wouldn't a hole in the hull anywhere but in the tank also sink the boat? Please explain how a port in the water tank increases the risk of a sinking.
I agree, a hole in the bottom of the boat is a hole in the bottom of the boat. A plastic access cover on the tank would not matter.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. WK. You are absolutely correct if the tank is stand alone. I answered with relation to our tanks which are integral to the hull and WOULD pose a problem if holed and not ported robustly enough. Doh! Apologies to those concerned.
This isn't an issue. The tank is not a part of the hull. It hangs between the two main stringers and does not go all the way to the hull. There is a gap.

Here is a picture. It is a long, narrow, and shallow tank. At the bottom are the overflow tube and gauge connection. At the top are the fill tube and supply line to the pump. I was just thinking I would put it right there in the middle. However, I think I will put off this project until I can add a filter system. Moreover, I peeked into the filler hose connection and the water looked fine-ish. So there really isn't a rush anymore. There are more pressing issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	47508  
Old 12-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #26
Guru

In my experience, once you get your tank(s) and water lines clean, they will stay clean and the water will stay safe by making sure you only introduce clean water into the system with a clean, drinking water rated hose that's used for no other purpose and is not left lying around for others to use to wash their boats or rinse their holding tanks.

The procedure for "shocking" the water system has been posted before so I won't repeat it.

City water has been chlorinated and should be safe. If you're filling your tanks with well water, add a little unscented chlorine bleach to the tanks along with the water. A tablespoon or so should do.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #27
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
If the tank is thick enough you could make your own access cover. A square (or round) 1/4 inch thick piece of 5086 aluminum cut to size and drilled around its outside, about every 1 & 1/2 inches for the cover, 3/8 inch holes. Lay the cover on the tank and mark all the holes and the outside edge. Cut the hole in the tank 1 inch smaller than the cover outline. Drill the holes in the tank to fit 5/16 stainless T-nuts. Insert T-nuts from the inside of tank, pulling them into the (tight) hole you drilled with a bolt and flat washer. Cut a rubber gasket for the lid and bolt it all together. Way cheaper than the sea built units and plenty good for a water tank. FWIW, I was building inspection hatches just like the Sea Built units years before they were.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #28
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Actually Tom it isn't just in boats. I was a contractor for many years and when we would do demo work for a remodel some times I would show people what the inside of their water pipes looked like. It is pretty gross. And it is in everyone's pipes. It is just the nature of water to have things grow in it. If your house is 10 years old you do not want to see the inside of your pipes especially copper pipes.
Question please: It is my understanding that water in black plastic jugs does not turn green and grow. Red, blue and yellow ones (like for fuel) all will allow algae growth.

So I'm wondering about replacing my hoses and then covering them with that black foam stuff used to cover hot water hose runs to keep the water toasty. Would that help?

I do have a whole house filter inline after the tank and before the water pump. The hoses "look" okay (clear with red and blue threads) but I wondered if there was anything you'd advise. I don't see anything in the hoses. They are nearly 8 years old and were one of the first things I replaced (after the anchor) when I bought Seaweed.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #29
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Question please: It is my understanding that water in black plastic jugs does not turn green and grow. Red, blue and yellow ones (like for fuel) all will allow algae growth.

So I'm wondering about replacing my hoses and then covering them with that black foam stuff used to cover hot water hose runs to keep the water toasty. Would that help?

I do have a whole house filter inline after the tank and before the water pump. The hoses "look" okay (clear with red and blue threads) but I wondered if there was anything you'd advise. I don't see anything in the hoses. They are nearly 8 years old and were one of the first things I replaced (after the anchor) when I bought Seaweed.

Thanks.
Hi Janice,
I don't think the color of the hose will make any difference. I do know that plastic or rubber seems to stay cleaner longer than copper or steel. I re plumbed or boat with PEX. We use a charcoal filter at the sink for drinking water.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:15 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post

Thanks.
I'm assuming your hoses are installed in dark places so covering them shouldn't be necessary. I also question why you think you need to replace eight year old water hoses. Water lines in buildings are not replaced on a routine basis, only when they leak (steel pipe will corrode after fifty years or so) and lead pipe is replaced for health reasons.

If you do decide to replace the water hoses, use PEX and be done with it. They will outlast the boat.