Old 03-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Anchorage AK
Add Rolling Chocks to a "hard chine" Taiwanese Trawler?

Newbie to Forum.* I have a 36' Taiwanese Trawler.* Owned it for 7 yrs and have pretty well dialed everything in the way I want it.* However, I am looking to reduce rolling when under way and don't want to add the rigging for paravanes/fish/birds.* I also am not going to add acitve stabs.* I AM considering adding rolling chocks similar to what a lot of the fishing boats have (example attached).** The typical com'l fishing boat has a round chine and is true displacement, the addition of rolling chocks does improve the ride.

Does anyone have first-hand experience or advice on whether this would reduce roll on a pleasure-trawler? I attached the last photo of my boat on the hard.
Attached Thumbnails
rolling chocks.jpg   boat on hard.jpg  
akdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
RE: Add Rolling Chocks to a "hard chine" Taiwanese Trawler?

First off, welcome! Second, has anyone ever told you that your head looks really fuzzy???

Funny you should ask this- I've not heard of many others doing this but I was looking at some pictures of another Monk 36 like the boat I own last week and low and behold, I found pics of a Monk with rolling chocks! I would think it would help with roll but I am not a hull design master. There are several astute hull design folks here though- they will surely be along soon.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:13 AM   #3
FF
Guru

Not worth the effort , just pick better days to leave the dock.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #4

Wonder if installing bilge keel on both sides help? Angled at 30 to 45 degrees which may dampen the roll.
ywkvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:11 AM   #5

City: Homosassa River, FL
Vessel Name: Mango Mama
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36

Hi Vince,

I see this is your first post. Welcome. I hope you get the private message I sent.

How about starting a new topic and introducing yourself. I'd love to hear about you and your boat. How did you end up in Singapore?
GarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #6

City: Homosassa River, FL
Vessel Name: Mango Mama
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36

The bilge keels shown in the photo would add little resistance to rolling. Looks like they were designed for sitting on the bottom when the tide goes out.

Taller aspect fin keels would have much greater rolling resistance but would be more vulnerable and require some significant structural support inside the hull.

Just my opinion, no naval design background.
GarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

GarryP, im in AK not singapore. The chocks are only glassed onto the surface of the hull and will break off without damaging hull. They have been added to hundreds of rounded chine fishing boats to decrease roll. "Bilge Keels" in my mind go down far enough to keep the boat upright on the hard.... a different deal altogether. My original question is whether chocks would help a hard-chine design. Thanks all.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:35 AM   #8
FF
Guru

"My original question is whether chocks would help a hard-chine design. "

Hard chines roll from too much stability.

The vessel is so stiff it attempts to follow the surface contour, which is really uncomfortable.

Ask any catamaran owner about how excess stiffness gives a rotten beam sea ride.

The rounder the bottom the easier it is for the vessel to roll, but usually with out the SNAP at the end that causes vomiting.

Attempting to reduce the roll with chocks does not work , even flopper stoppers will need to be larger to attempt to stop the roll.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:16 AM   #9

City: Southampton
Vessel Name: ANDROMEDA
Vessel Model: MAINSHIP 400

*I guess that you all know that the ultimate boat is a full displacement 62 ft *black motor sailer with orange decks with two jibs,*two mainsails , two engines ,two rudders, two props ,two *bilge keels, two masts ,two anchors , two fuel tanks ,two water tanks , two staterooms, two compasses ,two AK 47's, two dinghies, two captains , two million in the bank and a three burner stove.

*It s all about Managing risk.

-- Edited by SOMERS on Thursday 31st of March 2011 05:32:32 AM
SOMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

A hard chine boat basically already has rolling chocks and if you broach your chances of tripping on your chines and capsizing are much improved w rolling chocks added. Just get used to the rolling or get some paravane stabilizers. Another thought is to consider your vertical CG and it's effect on rolling.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

SOMERS, great reply. FF, sitting at anchor next to a cat will make you want to move over to their deck for cocktails.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:00 AM   #12
FF
Guru

"two captains"

A sure fire way to DISASTER
Old 04-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #13

City: Southampton
Vessel Name: ANDROMEDA
Vessel Model: MAINSHIP 400

*Women and Boats.

*If i can keep your attention i have saved the best to last.

*The reason i mentioned two captains in my recent post *is because i would not have our boat if it were not for Mavis , over the years *she has contributed more than you could imagin to our boating enjoyment.*

*Works this way, we have been married 54 years that is to say we have done allot together, we are always together in every thing we do .

*Ham radio ,Mavis has her ticket; Motorcycling over the Blue Ridge Mountains ; Gardening , she has her own power lawn mower, professionally she managed 13 satelite branch outlets for a large department store.

*Mavis has been to sea 5 times with me on sailboat she has done more than her part, *when were racing offshore sailboats Mavis would always come along, and do night deck watch also.

**Ok ! what *else did Mavis do :-

** *Steer/ Sail the boat; Stuffing Spinnakers;*Triming the mainsail; Provision the boat; coil ropes, and allot more.

*Our boat has two captains when she is on the wheel i defer to her, Mavis is very strict on every thing including ordering *engine inspections, she maintains the log book and knows more about the weather than the seagulls.

** Captain Mavis Cave ,has earned that right.

*A story

**There are three on this sail boat, Mavis , Donald and the Owner/ Captain , *at the end of a *5 day delivery from Bermuda up to Long Island Sound, *this is when *a weather front hit us at night at low tide just inside the sound but East of The Race . We could not even see the bow of the boat.

We were both on deck taking turns on the wheel all we had was the compass,the owner was plotting and calling our course off down below using a stop watch .

*This event was the house of horrors ,through out the entire night we short *tacked back and forth.

Fear was not part of the equation that night.

*King Neptune was having a temper tantrum.

**It was very windy; thick heavy fog; Raining and very cold , both our foul weather gears leaked *.

My woman stood by me and continues to do so.

*Mavis walks amongst the gods of the sea.*

Our boat has two captains , it is for*the love of the sea.

*On our 54 st wedding anniversary i asked her would she do it all over again.

*Mavis is an exhibition Ballroom Dancer *and to top all that she is drop dead gorgeous and very humble.

*A life lived in fear is a life half lived.

Donald & Mavis

*Bless you all.

**A woman, stands atop of the widows walk, *to wait the return of *her husband from the sea.

-- Edited by SOMERS on Sunday 3rd of April 2011 02:36:28 PM

-- Edited by SOMERS on Sunday 3rd of April 2011 02:42:33 PM

-- Edited by SOMERS on Monday 4th of April 2011 05:01:53 AM
SOMERS is offline   Reply With Quote