Add-on floats for things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
We've all had our share of gizmos fall overboard. I've usually tried to use a tether, when possible, to avoid losing things to Davey Jones. That or attach some kind of 'float' to help prevent sinking.

Trouble is most of the floats are crap. The foam disintegrates, the chain or ring rusts, or their multi-purpose "features" (like coming apart to put something inside) causes them to leak.

Between the dinghy key, the swim platform remote, deck plate 'key' and various other gizmos I'd like to find "something better".

Anyone found decent solutions beyond cheap boat show giveaways?

Crab pot floats are fairly durable or cork floats from a nautical items store. Eastern Marine is one source for crab floats.
Don’t ever put anything valuable into a shirt pocket without a flap.

Last edited:
Trouble is most of the floats are crap. The foam disintegrates, the chain or ring rusts, or their multi-purpose "features" (like coming apart to put something inside) causes them to leak.

I agree with you, but still prefer the soft spongey foam in my pocket versus the hard plastic air tight container.

My contribution to the discussion is the key ring. I have found that a braided nylon line works better, lasts for the life of the float, is more comfortable in your pocket, and doesn't rust.

I put my key(s) and the float on a braided line, tie a square knot, and melt the ends to the knot so it can't come undone. Then I pull the knot into the float.

16882142716244040473556412247519.jpg

Ted

Last edited:
Agree. That Bead Chain that comes on those floats is guaranteed to fail at the worst possible time.

Also, be realistic about the capacity of the float. With a bundle of keys, all the float will do is be a little flag on the bottom for a diver to see.
I prefer no float and keep my keys in pocket till I’m in front of the lock.

Don’t know how much floats actually lead to successful recovery. It isn’t often there’s no wind or current or chop or some reason for decreased visibility. All are a PIA. Rather use tethers of some sort and have spares for critical little things like keys or small remote controls. Many good places to hide things on the outside of a locked boat.

You can buy bronze or stainless steel bead chain and replace the cheap steel bead chain that comes with the floats.

I agree with you, but still prefer the soft spongey foam in my pocket versus the hard plastic air tight container.

My contribution to the discussion is the key ring. I have found that a braided nylon line works better, lasts for the life of the float, is more comfortable in your pocket, and doesn't rust.

I put my key(s) and the float on a braided line, tie a square knot, and melt the ends to the knot so it can't come undone. Then I pull the knot into the float.

View attachment 140150

Ted

That's a great idea, and I'll give it a try.

The best alternative I have come up with is to get stainless key rings and use them in place of the chain thingy (hate them) or the non-stainless ring that floats come with.

What about the various size floats used for fishing..can select a size require for the item being connected. Use braided fishing line.

One time a cruise ship ordered a bunch of toilet tank floats from my store. We had to order a bunch more than they wanted so we had a bunch left over. My Dad put a screw eye in the end with some bead chain and sold them as key floats! Sold out pretty quickly..

Everything floats…. It either floats on top of the water or on the bottom of the water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom