Old 05-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #21
Master and Commander
City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
So far so good on grounding. Actually I haven't grounded on anything yet with this boat.
You scare me.

Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:46 PM   #22
City: Valley Forge, PA
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Of course, I understand that the pitch of the boat will change the bottom clearance to either side, but could you guess at what the draft is to the fin when the boat is level?
Haven't measured yet, but the one time I've seen our Defever 44 hauled, it appeared to have about 1.5 to 2 feet between the bottom of the keel and fin tips.

As for space, I don't know if Art designed his engine rooms for active fin stabilizers or not, but god bless him for building in enough room for them . . . plus enough left over for a small bowling alley.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:55 AM   #23
City: Brisbane River
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Fin installation is typically midship, but can be +/- 20% of that and still be OK. A good install is inside the beam and above keel level. Even on SD hulls this should be readily achievable. Steve Dashew ripped one off - apparently he 'just brushed' something, but actually it would take a decent hit to do it. The GRP fin is designed to break off so the actuator shaft does not get any significant shear force and damage the hull integrity.

On many RPH boats the engine room bulkhead is midship, so stabilisers installed just behind that is perfect. I would have done that had I known my fuel tanks were going to be replaced, and taken a bit out of the lower part of the tanks to fit them in. As it was we managed to fit them in just forward of the ER bulkhead. Stb one was in a void outboard of the master suite wardrobe, port one was in the shower area. The shower tub is a stepped type, and we had to reduce its floor area by a couple of inches to make it work. Pic shows actuator installed, and you can see where the tub sits. On the seat part of the shower tub there is now a hatch about 15'x10" for access. It turned out pretty good, although I don't have a pic to prove that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19 Naiad Port Int.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	29803  
Insequent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:37 AM   #24
Vessel Name: " Supertramp "
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
Me Gyro Gale Stabilizer has 4 Fins , sometimes its better tu find 4 other places in the Boat when in the middelpoint no are place.

supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote