Old 09-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #1
Guru

Active Captain route storage

I just got the e-mail from AC about route storage and transfer. Jeffery apparently has got storage on his AC web site that allows a member to store routes created in AC. But best of all those routes can be transfered to any device in a protocol that can be read by a chosen device provided the device maker has developed the software to allow this. AC has made the development tools free to any device manufacture.

Folks this is absolute great. Now you can create a route in AC and transfer it to your Garmin, Ray plotter and all your tablets and phones with AC data to boot. I create routes in Garmin homeport PC software and then go through a complex process to get the route on my Ray plotter. Forget about using Ray PC software, it stinks.
I would like to get routes on my android tablet running AC companion but up until now therre was no way to do this. Be interesting to see how many tablet, chartplotter and phone makes jump on the band wagon.

I hope Ray will do this, but so far they have not embraced the idea of AC data on their devices, unlike Garmin.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Yee Haw
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
This looks promising, I too have Raymarine and hope that at some time soon Ray will come up with a working solution. If not I'll move my mini Mac onboard and use it. Now all I gotta do is figure out how to integrate GPS onto the Mac and IPad without Internet.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Has anyone contacted Ray, garmin etc to let them know?
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:12 AM   #5
Guru

Garmin has integrated AC data into their PC software called Homeport. So has several other PC software routing companies. To my knowledge no one has a plotter that will display AC data. Garmin has indicated a willingness to incorporate data in their plotters, but as far as I know this hasn't been done yet.

Ray is another story altogether. Ray does not own or did not participate in their PC software program called Voyager. They also contract with a separate company for the charts that display on their plotters. At least this was true a couple of years ago when I bought my Ray plotter. Since Ray does not own Voyager, the Canadian company that developed Voyager requires you to re-purchase the program every couple of years. So to get AC data on Ray plotters will require the cooperation of 3 separate companies, the company that developed Voyager, the charting company and Ray. So good luck with that. Jeffery, ACs' developer knows much more about this and perhaps will chime in here.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:01 AM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Furuno has ActiveCaptain on their TZ Touch II hardware.

I'm not able to comment on future products of Garmin - they are obviously a close partner.

There is a development underway to put AC data on Raymarine and Simrad products in Q1 2016 as a start.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:31 AM   #7
Guru

Quick question for Jeffrey; I have created probably 60 individual routes in Homeport that can be exported in the .GPX format. Is it possible to import those routes into AC?
Old 09-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #8
Guru

Opps, never mind just figured it out.