alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #22
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Accusations that sponsors are treated differently are clueless, unfair and reflect the jaded opinion of folks whose reviews I would ignore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not sure how others use AC...but compared to cruising before AC and now after.....WOW.
Agreed. AC is far from perfect. I have a laundry list of things I'd personally like to see, like a better way to filter for the item of interest at the moment, rather than have to click on and read the listing for every marker in the area.

But it's hands-down the best cruising guide I've ever used. So many cruising guide books are focused on what the sponsors want to say, and little attention is paid to the things real cruisers want to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
I find it funny that AC is being accused of favoring sponsors. In this case the marina in question is not a sponsor, but there is one just up river from the City Marina. If the acquisitions were true AC wouldn't have any issue with negative input on that marina.
Like its reviews of marinas, the reviews of AC itself in this forum are opinions. Some are reasoned and based in fact. Some are off-the-cuff. Others are reflect a strongly-held negative opinion that no amount of discussion will change. No doubt I feel that way about some businesses.

The only negative is when there are no recent reviews - good or bad - for a location. I humbly submit that no-one has any right to complain if they don't participate. I'd rather have a grumpy, negative review from last week than nothing in the last three years. At least I know the place still exists. I try to review, or update an earlier review for, every place I stay.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
I miss Skipper Bob.
Skipper Bob Publications is still around. Along with Waterway Guide. I like their publications but they certainly aren't free and they aren't as comprehensive, nor do they have user reviews. Where I tend to use publications such as theirs is in "What to do along the way." Now there it's mainly along the water as for what to do in towns and ports, I find places like Travel Advisor and local tourism sites valuable. Lately, too, when it comes to restaurants, google has risen to the top of my list as well.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #24
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Lots of talk about AC reviews however no mention of the outstanding achievements in presenting locations of anchorages, marinas, and the realtime notifications as you approach hazards. To my mind, Jeff and Karen have changed the face of navigation information mega steps to the better. Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #25
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
My best advice to Xsbank is if he doesn't agree with the reviews, then write your own review! Then, the readers can decide. That is what the whole system is designed to do. One person's junk is another person's treasure. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can go on and on. I give good reviews to marinas with some of the sorriest bathrooms because of the friendly service, location, and other amenities in the area. I look at the whole, not just one aspect of a marina.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #26

City: Petersburg, AK
Vessel Name: Getaway
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3270
I appreciate AC and use it frequently to recon routes and destinations. It is a great resource, but does have some limitations. And, even in SE AK, I bump into bad info posted by other users, probably not to the level of you guys in the Lower 48 - but bogus nonetheless. You learn fairly quickly which posters are credible and which ones have probably never been to the areas they have "reviewed."
kpswihart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #27
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
"My best advice to Xsbank..."?

I happen to know that there are legions of drones at typewriters that get paid to invent and send in good reviews to many sites. You know those "Make tons of Money Working From Home" ads? Even employees, those that are literate, will do it. I think the entire process has become corrupt.
I'm not accusing Active Captain of corruption (should I repeat that?), I'm saying that reviews and the process of reviewing are largely meaningless. They may help you make a decision but rarely, in my experience, is a review on a site an accurate reflection of anything you will find when you actually use the product yourself. A marina, a musical instrument, a restaurant, a mechanic, in fact anything complex cannot be accurately reviewed anecdotally by one person after one exposure, in any meaningful way. Five years owning a Willard? You are qualified to give a good review and have information to share. One night at Festus' Marina? Forget it.

The joy of this site is that the opinions, contributions, knowledge, personal experiences that we post are entirely gratuitous. You can like, reject, ignore, enjoy, "aha" any comment or post you read. You don't even have to read them if you are pre-prejudiced against the writer. It's entirely a co-op community.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #28
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
I love AC, after I found it I'm not sure I'd do with out.

Thanks a million Jeff And Karen!!!!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #29
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Seriously?

I have had great luck with Active Captain.....

Do the rest of you that don't think it's accurate, slit your wrists because the bathrooms or the busses or whatever don't meet your expectations and you went there instaed of the marina down the street?

You stayed and payed...instead of scoping it out and saying thanks but no thanks and move down the road for the night? Or stayed because it was the only game in town and you don't want to anchor out...sure give it your best shot...but making it sound like an incorrect view is the end of the world and AC is just another corrupt advertiser?????

You would think this was advice for retirement planning or medical advice.

Read between the lines, use other sources of info and enjoy....

This is almost as comical as most TF threads.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #30
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Me too!

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I like AC. Use it when cruising new areas and contribute reviews periodically. That being said, I don't blindly follow anything. Read the reviews and information, then make a decision based on everything I know about a given marina, etc. While I haven't made an ignore list, there are a couple of contributors that I tend to skip as their opinion seems to be so very different than mine.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:03 PM   #32

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
As a trawler owner who travels and explores many 1,000 of miles a year. I love Active Captain and use it everyday. The reviews help me find Anchorages and docks I n new spots, now here home on Cape Cod some reviews make me say Why that spot or why that restaurant.
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #33
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Hopefully Jeff is still following this thread, even though he decided not to respond further. Thanks Jeff and Karen for providing the best cruising resource available. I use it for planning trips, checking out anchorages and sometimes marinas. It is a wonderful product.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #34
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
And now fuel prices too. That's a big help when cruising. If you see a good price on AC, just call the dock and confirm. Has saved me many $$.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #35

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
I love it. Just wish I could use it more.
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #36
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
By way of full disclosure before I comment--I have ZERO connection to AC other than being a very satisfied user.

I just checked and I have 836 posts on AC. I've used it and relied on it and loved it for several years. I enjoy reading the reviews and as I do with Trip Advisor and other review sites, I tend to disregard the reviews that are very far out from the majority of them. Some times people have a bone to pick with a resort or marina and they post negative comments about it. I understand that and can make my own decisions about how much weight to give to someone's comments.

For the record, I enjoy reading AC and use it extensively when planning future trips. Thanks a bunch to the owners of the site for putting together a great site that has become one of my favorite tools to use.

GFC
Old 06-21-2015, 09:14 PM   #37
Scraping Paint

City: -
At the risk of adding to the "me too" broken record aspect of this thread () I think Active Captain is great. As are the printed guides we use for this area, from privately published ones to the BC and US governments' "Sailing Directions" books.

Every planning tool has its plusses and minuses. The downside of the printed guides like Waggoner are the writeups of anchorages, marinas, etc. are one person's point of view. And they are never negative. At the worst they are lukewarm.

The "downside" of Active Captain is that the reviews are by people whose credibility and standards are totally unknown to me. So like all public reviews, they are totally subjective.

But.... all reviews are like this be it Google, Yelp, Trip Advisor, you name it. So you have to lean to judge the reviews for credibility based on tne content and how they're written.

The advantage Active Captain has over all the printed guides is the information can be overlayed on the screen with charts and is available at the tap of a finger. We use the Navimatics charting app for planning and Active Captain is compatible with this.

It's just one tool in the planning and cruising process, but it's a great one and the interactive nature of it gives it a dynamic that no other cruising guide (that I'm aware of) can offer.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
By way of full disclosure before I comment--I have ZERO connection to AC other than being a very satisfied user.

I just checked and I have 836 posts on AC. I've used it and relied on it and loved it for several years. I enjoy reading the reviews and as I do with Trip Advisor and other review sites, I tend to disregard the reviews that are very far out from the majority of them. Some times people have a bone to pick with a resort or marina and they post negative comments about it. I understand that and can make my own decisions about how much weight to give to someone's comments.

For the record, I enjoy reading AC and use it extensively when planning future trips. Thanks a bunch to the owners of the site for putting together a great site that has become one of my favorite tools to use.

GFC
It's no different than any review site in that there will be some reviews totally inconsistent with others. That doesn't mean those aren't valid reviews as some experience different things or use different parts of a facility. I can't comment on showers as I don't use them, but docks and such I can. Also, a limitation is that some marinas only provide limited information. However, I've used the links to websites of marinas thousands of times. When cruising the East Coast there are a lot of resources available. On the West Coast it's not nearly the same though. And outside of the country is where it really was a most useful tool for us.

As to reviewers, I love it when those giving good reviews give information that really tells you what facilities they used and what they loved. Also, I love the negative reviewers who do it constructively and tell you exactly what they didn't like. Several times has helped us know where to request we dock in a marina and where in one we don't want to dock. I remember one that we made it clear we'd go somewhere else rather than where they wanted us to dock. They relented as we stopped away from the dock waiting for an answer. Warnings about entrances are always appreciated. It's nice to know in advance that there's not a good restaurant within walking distance. Doesn't diminish the marina itself but tells us to plan on eating on the boat the afternoon we arrive. It has helped us in the past to be warned about rude dockmasters or others there. At least we've been prepared and maybe ready to find a way to try to win them over. One we'd read several negative comments on, the first thing we did was offer him some chocolate cake. Then we asked if he'd like ice cream on it. Amazing how friendly he was. I must give my wife credit for the strategy.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #39
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
I wear my AC hat when I head into town from the boat for parts or supplies. With pride!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 06-21-2015, 10:47 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
I wear my AC hat when I head into town from the boat for parts or supplies. With pride!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
What do you figure, that if they see that they'll give you good service thinking you'll review them? lol