Old 03-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #1

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Active Captain Discontinuation

As discussed in the electronics forum, Polar Navy has been notified that Active Captain will cut off downloading of data to them right about now. I'm a Polar Navy user, quite like it, and don't want to purchase and go through the learning curve on something else. However, this will complicate my nightly planning of the next days runs.

Does anyone know if this cut off is specific to Polar Navy or if all similar navigation programs are also affected?
Old 03-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #2

Ah.

ActiveCaptain is being discontinued

https://www.panbo.com/archives/2018/...s_assured.html

Looks like I'm going to have to choose between AC and PN.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
Looks like I'm going to have to choose between AC and PN.

You could continue to use PolarNav and get another app for AC stuff...

-Chris
Old 03-28-2018, 05:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
You could continue to use PolarNav and get another app for AC stuff...-Chris
Well, yeah. I can get the AC stuff directly from their site. But, when I'm doing route planning, it's very nice to have the AC Poi's right there on the chart so I can click on them as I'm drawing my route. Sometimes shoaling depth will be an issue and right there I can determine that I'd better leave earlier or later.

Now I have to go to one site, figure out what's important, write down the locations or switch to another computer window if it's something I want to be reminded of as I'm watching the chart plotter and then enter a waypoint with a note. This will just about double the time I spend each evening reviewing and planning.

If Polar Navy doesn't relent and decide to implement the new api, it will probably force me into the expense and learning curve of a different program.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Well, yeah. I can get the AC stuff directly from their site. But, when I'm doing route planning, it's very nice to have the AC Poi's right there on the chart so I can click on them as I'm drawing my route. Sometimes shoaling depth will be an issue and right there I can determine that I'd better leave earlier or later.

Now I have to go to one site, figure out what's important, write down the locations or switch to another computer window if it's something I want to be reminded of as I'm watching the chart plotter and then enter a waypoint with a note. This will just about double the time I spend each evening reviewing and planning.

If Polar Navy doesn't relent and decide to implement the new api, it will probably force me into the expense and learning curve of a different program.

I expect it's just a meter of time before Polar navy figures out they will lose a lot of customers if they don't move to the new API.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:14 PM   #6
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
I've been off line in the Bahamas for the last month and missed all this. Does this mean that we will no longer be able to download A/C data to Garmin Bluecharts on iPhones/ipads?
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:20 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:

Jeffrey will likely copy that quote and send it to Garmin to show them they made a good investment by buying AC.

I like AC information and I do see the value of having it integrated into your planning software. However, I’m not sure that I would make those kinds of product use decisions based on a crowd-source app that I have no control over. AC is free to us to use. That is good. OTOH, AC/Garmin has zero responsibility to us for its decisions going forward.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:18 AM   #8
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:

That's a fair point. Another might be that if PolarNav isn't responsive to their customers, migration may be inevitable... and you can vote with your feet.

FWIW, we've found many of the AC hazard markers along our current trip to be much ado about nothing: "Shoaling! Over there! Two feet from shoreline! 100 feet out of the channel! Horrors!" Or another version: "Submerged object at such-and such location, usually nowhere near the channel! Horrors!" And we see the object is actually already on the chart.

Not to say we don't pay attention, but we use the marina info more than anything else. And we don't really do any micro-routing before-hand; usually only major obstacles (non-functioning low bridge, etc.) get our serious attention.

I digress: we've noticed a few times that something on the NOAA raster chart -- like markers that do actually exist -- aren't on the C-Map charts...

-Chris
Old 03-29-2018, 06:39 AM   #9

Quote:
FWIW, we've found many of the AC hazard markers along our current trip to be much ado about nothing: "Shoaling! Over there! Two feet from shoreline! 100 feet out of the channel! Horrors!" Or another version: "Submerged object at such-and such location, usually nowhere near the channel! Horrors!" And we see the object is actually already on the chart.
Agreed. AC has been going downhill in this regard. I never believe anything about shoaling until I look at the comments. I'm not sure if the diminishing usefulness is the result of accumulating bad data or that Jeff is no longer spending a lot of time reviewing things. I'm sure there is no one at Garmin checking user input.

Humor question: Is it legal now to anchor somewhere that does not have an AC anchor symbol? I've been in anchorages with plenty of room and anchored over the AC spot and then had boats come in, see me, and leave. I watched one heading off into the dark on the ICW and I knew it was going to be about 30 miles before they could find another place.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:53 AM   #10
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:

Not to say we don't pay attention, but we use the marina info more than anything else.
-Chris
Ditto that.
I've used AC since Palm Centro days, I have the hat, so I've seen the changes. For some reason, 1st time ICW cruisers seem compelled to post *SOMETHING* to contribute. I recall having received a note from Jefferey confirming a post... back when. The information has since become diluted by all the superfluous postings about markers missing, shoaling on shore, the magenta line, and on. Yes, even missing markers hazards posted in the Bahamas.... as if...! Still, the information is useful if you sift through the noise.

It's not like some change wasn't anticipated with Garmin acquiring AC, particularly with Garmin's penchant for exclusivity. How it all shakes out remains to be seen. The marketplace will certainly influence changes, which are inevitable.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:59 PM   #11
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I expect it's just a meter of time before Polar navy figures out they will lose a lot of customers if they don't move to the new API.
They lost me as a customer when they went to a subscription model. I have enough charting apps already; I don't need to pay a fee every year to that one.

Quote:
...I've been in anchorages with plenty of room and anchored over the AC spot and then had boats come in, see me, and leave...
And you're blaming that on AC? I could think of other reasons, but they wouldn't be flattering
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
They lost me as a customer when they went to a subscription model. I have enough charting apps already; I don't need to pay a fee every year to that one.
I'd forgotten about the subscription. If I'm going to make a switch, I'd better do it before that comes due. What are you using now? I like PN so will probably go with whatever is most similar and includes AC.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:40 AM   #13
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
I'd forgotten about the subscription. If I'm going to make a switch, I'd better do it before that comes due. What are you using now? I like PN so will probably go with whatever is most similar and includes AC.
I'd say OpenCPN would be my next go-to. Whatever software comes with whatever cartography you're using would be next. I work on one boat that uses C-Map cards, so their PC-Planner is on my laptop. My Garmin chip works with their HomePort software. Navionics is good stuff if you use it anywhere.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:03 PM   #14
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
No A/C with opencpn
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:16 PM   #15
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
I use MxMariner for Android on a tablet and my phone. It uses NOAA charts (in the US) and overlays the ActiveCaptain markers on the charts. Still worked as of 3/30/18.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:04 PM   #16

City: Redlands
Here's my strategy: my older Garmin 5212, which is no longer supported by Garmin, will become my radar viewer. Since my GarminHD radar only works with a Garmin chart plotter, once either the chartplotter or radar dies, they will be replaced by non Garmin radar.

Next, I'm moving to two pc's, both running Rose Point Coastal Explorer. If Rose Point continues to integrate Active Captain - great. If not, by then much of this will have shaken out.

I have had a terrific five year run with Active Captain. It has changed the way I cruise in many positive ways. Either Garmin will figure this out or someone New will see the opportunity and bring us something better.

Arch
Old 04-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #17

City: Lake Oswego, Oregon
Vessel Name: Stout
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
SEAiq and AC

I just went to the home page of SEAiq that I use on the iPad and they had this announcement:

Important: ActiveCaptain
We are informed on May 23, 2018 Garmin will be make incompatible changes to the ActiveCaptain server. After this date, the current ActiveCaptain data will continue to work in SEAiq. However, no further updates will be available for download. We recommend users sync offline data on their devices before the May 23 cut-off. We are considering updating SEAiq support for ActiveCaptain but do not have definite plans yet.

Bummer for SEAiq users unless they update support for the "new" AC.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:28 PM   #18
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I think the entire electronic charts systems are in transition.
Maybe Garmin will make their system compatible only with Garmin to encourage folks to buy Garmin.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:59 AM   #19
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
So now PolarNav and SeaIQ have both announced dropping further support for Active Captain data. I wonder if others will follow and it will become a Garmin only show.

I suspect that there is something more going on here than meets the eye. Maybe Jeff worked hard with developers when he owned his company and now Garmin doesn't make it easy to integrate AC with outside apps. Many of these navigation apps were built by small developers and they may have decided it just isn't worth it to put their limited resources into making AC data available.

I for one will make one final update to AC data on my SeaIQ app and hope that this situation sorts itself out before the data gets too stale.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:15 AM   #20
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
So now PolarNav and SeaIQ have both announced dropping further support for Active Captain data.
That is not what SeaIQ said. The exact quote is:
Quote:
We are considering updating SEAiq support for ActiveCaptain but do not have definite plans yet.
If AC support in SeaIQ is important to you I suggest emailing Mark (the developer) and letting him know.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote