Old 09-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #21
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
I love to use it to inspect an area I would like to explore. But hate to P in the punch- Jeffrey has made it very clear that the future AC is gonna be eboatcards. He's also crowd sourcing all the info for marine services he can. The plan is in process to "evolve". I just hope I can keep up ...

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Old 09-03-2015, 06:51 AM   #22
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
I love to use it to inspect an area I would like to explore. But hate to P in the punch- Jeffrey has made it very clear that the future AC is gonna be eboatcards. He's also crowd sourcing all the info for marine services he can. The plan is in process to "evolve". I just hope I can keep up ...

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Can someone elaborate on what eboatcards is?

Don
'08 MS 34HT
" Bacchus"

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:09 AM   #23
Guru

Don,
That's the rub for me. I have an eboatcards . I just don't know what to do with it. And currently there's AC Companion. Patricia and I both have it loaded on our iphones. I believe the idea of ACC is to let you download blocks of charts that you choose (of course each block would use up some memory on your phone) and then be able to access it when you are unable to connect to a cell tower. Unfortunately we were both unsuccessful in downloading even one block. Im sure it's an easy fix- but currently it's just one more thing I gotta get to.
I think the support is great- I've emailed questions/ comments in the past to Jefferie Siegel and he or Karen were always quick to respond with help.
Bottom line for me is that with Jefferie's vision for the AC family, which includes all sorts of data integrated into one source- is to also encourage a social element where your chosen boating and personal information can be opted to be shared with participating boaters in your marina and that you pass when cruising or the world. Imagine an Aussie having an opportunity to boat in the PNW and from one source he can access any friend, resource, or marina fuel price that he could ever want! And to me- this is where the Siegels might consider putting on their "Marketing" cap. I think if I could wrap my head around the AC Package, and its ability to allow me to present my "data" in an effective and safe manner- I would love having it in my boating arsenal!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #24
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Don,
That's the rub for me. I have an eboatcards . I just don't know what to do with it.

Bottom line for me is that with Jefferie's vision for the AC family, which includes all sorts of data integrated into one source- is to also encourage a social element where your chosen boating and personal information can be opted to be shared with participating boaters in your marina and that you pass when cruising or the world.

I suspect you're right. I suspect Jeff assumes people want to be social. We are absolutely NOT, wouldn't occur to us to share info like that (and we'd get no benefit from sharing), so none of that extra eboatstuff seems useful for us.

We do use AC a lot, though, including contributing. (Got the hat.)

-Chris
Old 09-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #25

City: Tennessee River
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Vessel Model: Trans Pac Eagle 32
Reading quite a few good reviews from costal cruisers but how about inland water ways such as TN. and Cumberland Rivers ?
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #26
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Don,
That's the rub for me. I have an eboatcards . I just don't know what to do with it. And currently there's AC Companion. Patricia and I both have it loaded on our iphones. I believe the idea of ACC is to let you download blocks of charts that you choose (of course each block would use up some memory on your phone) and then be able to access it when you are unable to connect to a cell tower. Unfortunately we were both unsuccessful in downloading even one block. Im sure it's an easy fix- but currently it's just one more thing I gotta get to.
I think the support is great- I've emailed questions/ comments in the past to Jefferie Siegel and he or Karen were always quick to respond with help.
Bottom line for me is that with Jefferie's vision for the AC family, which includes all sorts of data integrated into one source- is to also encourage a social element where your chosen boating and personal information can be opted to be shared with participating boaters in your marina and that you pass when cruising or the world. Imagine an Aussie having an opportunity to boat in the PNW and from one source he can access any friend, resource, or marina fuel price that he could ever want! And to me- this is where the Siegels might consider putting on their "Marketing" cap. I think if I could wrap my head around the AC Package, and its ability to allow me to present my "data" in an effective and safe manner- I would love having it in my boating arsenal!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Yes I believe your right and as my wife and I are Very social I look forward to learning more on AC

I have also email Jeff and Karen and they have shared planss with us that we now see happening

I am still learning though
Old 09-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #27

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Agree, love AC but not eboatcards. Don't and won't do Facebook, Twitter, or anything like that. Too much downside. Those who know us understand what we're up to.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #28
Guru

Exactly!! Boating/ socializing is not on everybody's agenda. And then some see boating as a very social activity. Most of the time on our boat is solo- no right or wrong. Just would be easy to assume more people are are looking for interaction, and I believe that is not the case for most of us most of the time. And AC is such a premium tool- I wouldn't want to see that function mixed in with so many other options. AC is doing an awesome job, but I would think that the "trawler crowd" are sometimes a bit different than others. Case in point. Me. .

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #29
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We are absolutely NOT, wouldn't occur to us to share info like that (and we'd get no benefit from sharing), so none of that extra eboatstuff seems useful for us.
Ditto! Just another chore to deal with when boating.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Don,
Patricia and I both have it loaded on our iphones. I believe the idea of ACC is to let you download blocks of charts that you choose (of course each block would use up some memory on your phone) and then be able to access it when you are unable to connect to a cell tower. Unfortunately we were both unsuccessful in downloading even one block. Im sure it's an easy fix- but currently it's just one more thing I gotta get to.

✌️
Forklift
Having chart blocks on my tablet was handy.
The star at the AC page bottom opens a menu... One of which is Download while connected via WiFi (Hi speed helps) you can select a chart block and Download. They do take some time depending on connection speed. Patience is key... Seems like I recall a status msg w %complete while downloading? Your chart should show blocks already downloaded as shaded.

Don
'08MS 34HT
"Bacchus"
Old 09-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Very happy with AC for boating related information such as marinas, anchorages, draw bridge info, etc. The social interaction isn't happening for me. I view this like Microsoft Office, I use a very small percentage of what's available. As long as AC allows me to only use / share what I want without complicating the process, I will continue to use and contribute. I cruise to get away, not to be found by others.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #32
Guru

Thanks Don I will try that. Pretty soon I will have the whole Active Captain Suite up and running !

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Reading quite a few good reviews from costal cruisers but how about inland water ways such as TN. and Cumberland Rivers ?
Jim...
Just get online and have a look in your area.
We are on inland lakes in NY and coverage is good. Same for NY canals & Lk Champlain.

Don
'08 MS 34HT
"Bacchus"
Old 09-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #34
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Love it, use it, planning, when out, in several countries, West and East coast.

We don't do eboatcards. Have less than zero interest in any form of social media type thing. I know you'd think the crazy kid would be tweeting and facebooking and all that stuff but when we want our life story on the web, then we'll sell it or something. And no cyberdusting either. The name Cyber Dust....doesn't even sound intriguing. No Instagram either.

But used AC this morning deciding where to fuel on our way home from Palm Coast. Oh and it's getting dark. Don't think we'll make it home before dark.

Wow! This is one freaking huge lake. Don't ya just love it when the wave height on the ocean is a ripple.

And it's officially dark now.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:35 PM   #35

City: Tennessee River
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Vessel Model: Trans Pac Eagle 32
Thanks Don, played around with it a little bit tonight. Good planing tool. JIM
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #36
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
AC Companion is for off-line use. All of the data is there BUT the chart overlay does not zoom in any usable fashion, on an Android anyway. Not availible on Android 5.0 tablets yet.
They also launched Locations, which has excellent overlay charts, but location of other AC members "near" (there seems to be a non-adjustable distance limit of just a couple miles) me are ON LAND. I can't get the search feature to find anyone.
I hope they keep AC and don't get too far away from that core that works very well.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #37

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
I believe that the AC Companion provides an active chart with audible alerts for upcoming hazards, etc...

I'm sure it does much more but haven't really gotten into it.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #38

City: Leesburg, VA
I find an app like MX Mariner that lays the AC markers right on the NOAA charts to be much more useful than ACC when on the boat. The web based version used on a PC is useful for pre-trip research and planning (although if you turn cookies off it doesn't work).

MX Mariner lets you download NOAA and some other agencies charts and store them offline. The AC database is also stored local to your device.

While the AC database is a great resource, we also find that there is no need to be social until after the fact (like "This is what we did last weekend.") and even then it is not very often. Meeting up with people for eating, drinking, rafting up, etc. is not something we care to do much of (there are some exceptions).

There is also the issue of not letting out a lot of personal information to the world at large and broadcasting one's every move. What may be sent (or posted) as "Look at us at having fun at the beach!" can also be interpreted as "The Smith residence at 1234 West St., ThisTown, ThisState, is currently unoccupied and will be for awhile because it takes a couple of hours to get home from that beach!" because you've already posted other personal information like where you live, who lives there, your phone number, and probably a picture of some expensive toy you bought right in front of your house.

I don't really need to know that you are at your favorite bar and your team is wining but its almost half time and there is still a lot a game to go and boy the beer is good but you wished they still had the one you liked from last week and you're wondering what happened to the pretty waitress with the ponytail who is usually here on Saturdays and......
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #39
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Love it, use it, planning, when out, in several countries, West and East coast.

We don't do eboatcards. Have less than zero interest in any form of social media type thing. I know you'd think the crazy kid would be tweeting and facebooking and all that stuff but when we want our life story on the web, then we'll sell it or something. And no cyberdusting either. The name Cyber Dust....doesn't even sound intriguing. No Instagram either.

But used AC this morning deciding where to fuel on our way home from Palm Coast. Oh and it's getting dark. Don't think we'll make it home before dark.

Wow! This is one freaking huge lake. Don't ya just love it when the wave height on the ocean is a ripple.

And it's officially dark now.
Palm Coast Marina, or did you go whole hog and stay at the Hammock Dunes Resort (we stayed there over the July 4th weekend, great place)?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:52 PM   #40
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Palm Coast Marina, or did you go whole hog and stay at the Hammock Dunes Resort (we stayed there over the July 4th weekend, great place)?
Wifey B: In the past we've stayed at Palm Coast but threw a changeup (ok we're watching baseball) this time and stayed at Hammock. Had a nice afternoon, went to the beach, ate dinner. Then played tennis before leaving the next morning.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote