Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
CCS
Member
 
CCS's Avatar
 
City: Whidbey Island, Wa
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Grey Goose
Vessel Model: Compass 55 (Grand Harbour)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
AC vs DC Davit winch

I need to replace the Rule winch motor that came with my Nautical Structures davit. I have an 11 foot Rendova with a 40 HP Yamaha that needs to travel about 15 feet from the water to the upper deck. I am considering the AC/115v GoLo 1200lb (lifting capacity)winch but question whether switching from a DC to AC motor is advisable. Any thoughts? Or any other suggests for a replacement? I think it was the Rule V45. Rule no longer makes this motor - or any 12v motors for that matter. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
__________________
Advertisement

CCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,574
Have you looked at Warn Industy hoists? They seem to have the largest market share. We have their DC1200b(1200 lbs) for the last 10 years and I would buy another.

https://www.warn.com/industrial/hoists/DC1200.jsp
__________________

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,124
One thing to check is the size of the wiring if you are going with a different winch. It is particularly important if you are using a 12 volt winch.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
Guru
 
tiltrider1's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 689
If you have a large enough inverter then going AC is not an issue. AC uses smaller wire size.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #5
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,574
Since the Rule was 12vdc, I’d replace with another 12vdc. There is a set of reversing solenoids or control pack the are also rated for 12vdc. These allow you to raise and lower the dinghy. If you go to an ac system, it’s not just a matter of replacing the wiring and the motor.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #6
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,437
I can tell you from personal experience that the Go-Lo is a great product with excellent support (including rebuilding if you're still around to need it), but if I were you I'd contact Nautical Structures and get their advice.

Service - Nautical Structures - Marine Engineering and Manufacturing - Davits, Cranes, Gangeways, Passarelles
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:03 AM   #7
CCS
Member
 
CCS's Avatar
 
City: Whidbey Island, Wa
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Grey Goose
Vessel Model: Compass 55 (Grand Harbour)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
Thanks for the comments. I did try to get some advice from Nautical Structures but they were not particularly helpful. I may try the Warn product if I can find one that will fit inside the boom with the same run angle for the line.
CCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #8
Guru
 
City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Country: US
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 938
I use a 240v AC motor on my anchor winch. Much cheaper, last longer than DC and the relays are cheaper, too. Winch came with DC and the po's had left several burnt out ones in the engine room.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #9
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,551
I have a 12v DC winch that I traded a bottle of wine for. Intended use is to replace the manual sailboat winch on the davit that lifts the stern of my dinghy, about 400#. In order to get DC power to the winch at the transom, I would need to run about 50' of #2 cable, fuse it properly, and build a housing to protect it from the salt spray. I have been thinking about doing this for a while, but as I still have enough energy to hoist using the manual winches, it isn't rising on the list very quickly.
AC power is already quite close by. Maybe I should look at that option and see if I can get a better bottle of wine for the DC winch.
__________________
Keith
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #10
Guru
 
Xsbank's Avatar
 
City: Pender Harbour, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,850
Is the motor really toast or could it be rebuilt? Easiest solution. Or find one on Ebay? Nautical Structures is still in business, you should call them?
__________________
Don't believe everything that you think.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #11
Guru
 
Xsbank's Avatar
 
City: Pender Harbour, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,850
Koliver, I bought an electric winch with wire cable, brand new somewhere, for $50. You would probably want to use Dyneema or Amsteel instead of cable and you would want to choose a winch that has an automatic brake but they are out there and very numerous. They come with the solenoids and the directional switches and just need hooking up. As for corrosion, I am a huge fan of POR15. Maybe 2 bottles of wine.
__________________
Don't believe everything that you think.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #12
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,574
Are you guys talking winch’s or hoists? You should never use a winch to hang an overhead load or to raise a dinghy on a crane. Most winch’s have a clutch so you can free spool where a hoist does not. Just asking?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:46 AM   #13
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Are you guys talking winch’s or hoists? You should never use a winch to hang an overhead load or to raise a dinghy on a crane. Most winch’s have a clutch so you can free spool where a hoist does not. Just asking?
An important difference. Thanks for pointing it out.
__________________
Keith
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #14
Guru
 
foggysail's Avatar
 
City: Ashland, MA
Country: United States
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Are you guys talking winch’s or hoists? You should never use a winch to hang an overhead load or to raise a dinghy on a crane. Most winch’s have a clutch so you can free spool where a hoist does not. Just asking?
OK, I have seen this recommendation before although if I remember correctly related to overhead items. My davit crane uses a 120vac winch to lift my dinghy loaded with everything needed for immediate use. I see no reason for me to worry over using a winch instead of a hoist. Nobody is ever going to be under it.

I don’t know what types of lifting devices are currently used in powered davit cranes although I would be very surprised if they use hoists
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:31 AM   #15
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,574
Quote:
...I don’t know what types of lifting devices are currently used in powered davit cranes although I would be very surprised if they use hoists
Nick Jackson Co, is one that uses hoists. Because of the potential liability, I’d be surprised if they all didn’t use hoists. I just googled hoist vs winch and these came up.

A hoist is for lifting and a winch is for pulling. A Winch is geared for pulling a load on a relatively level surface. A winch uses a dynamic brake that must slide. A Hoist is geared to lift (dead weight) and has a locking brake that can support a "hanging" load.

A winch is designed to pull a heavy load horizontally over a slightly inclined or level surface, and a hoist is designed to lift a load vertically over steeper inclines that are greater than 45 degrees.

The biggest difference is that a hoist is designed to both lift and lower a load, whereas a winch is designed to pull a load – and depending on design, hold it in place. Winches generally do not have a brake that is adequate to absorb the energy created when a load is being lowered.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #16
Guru
 
foggysail's Avatar
 
City: Ashland, MA
Country: United States
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Nick Jackson Co, is one that uses hoists. Because of the potential liability, I’d be surprised if they all didn’t use hoists. I just googled hoist vs winch and these came up.

A hoist is for lifting and a winch is for pulling. A Winch is geared for pulling a load on a relatively level surface. A winch uses a dynamic brake that must slide. A Hoist is geared to lift (dead weight) and has a locking brake that can support a "hanging" load.

A winch is designed to pull a heavy load horizontally over a slightly inclined or level surface, and a hoist is designed to lift a load vertically over steeper inclines that are greater than 45 degrees.

The biggest difference is that a hoist is designed to both lift and lower a load, whereas a winch is designed to pull a load – and depending on design, hold it in place. Winches generally do not have a brake that is adequate to absorb the energy created when a load is being lowered.

Well, so much for definitions. I will tell you this, there is no dynamic breaking in my winch. And it powers in both the pull and release direction. Now as to liability, nothing surprises me when an attorney finds another way to earn a buck. God bless them
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #17
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,574
You may have a hoist. The term winch is used pretty freely. I'm sure there are winches that are used for hoists successfully. I apologize if I've ruffled your feathers. I'm only bringing it up from a safety standpoint for those who are considering building or changing their systems.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #18
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
OK, I have seen this recommendation before although if I remember correctly related to overhead items. My davit crane uses a 120vac winch to lift my dinghy loaded with everything needed for immediate use. I see no reason for me to worry over using a winch instead of a hoist. Nobody is ever going to be under it.

I don’t know what types of lifting devices are currently used in powered davit cranes although I would be very surprised if they use hoists
A quick Google browse of commercial davits yields no references to winches, only to hoists. As it should be.

As for your other comment re lawyers:
Liability is encountered when the proper, safe equipment is not used, and the improper, unsafe method fails. No lawyer is involved until you are exposed to a liability claim that you choose to defend. Then, due only to your incorrect choice, you may need a lawyer who will exercise a skill that you don't possess to limit your liability to something you can afford.
__________________
Keith
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:02 PM   #19
Guru
 
foggysail's Avatar
 
City: Ashland, MA
Country: United States
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
You may have a hoist. The term winch is used pretty freely. I'm sure there are winches that are used for hoists successfully. I apologize if I've ruffled your feathers. I'm only bringing it up from a safety standpoint for those who are considering building or changing their systems.
Larry-- No feathers! Heck, this is all about sharing info and I apologize for my post seeming to imply anything other than that. And of course... God bless those attorneys that force us to carefully select words. Gosh, where would we be without them and this is of course just satire.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #20
Guru
 
foggysail's Avatar
 
City: Ashland, MA
Country: United States
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post

As for your other comment re lawyers:
Liability is encountered when the proper, safe equipment is not used, and the improper, unsafe method fails. No lawyer is involved until you are exposed to a liability claim that you choose to defend. Then, due only to your incorrect choice, you may need a lawyer who will exercise a skill that you don't possess to limit your liability to something you can afford.
Keith- We have owned apartments now for over two decades and have had our share of attorneys both working for us and also suing our small company. The one thing I have learned over the years is that no matter what ills befall anybody, there is a mindset that somebody else is to blame.

I understand that attorneys are necessary in today's society... especially in today's society. With that, enough
__________________

foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
davit, replacement, winch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012