AC Strainer Basket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisaensing

Vessel Name
Pau Hana
Vessel Make
Camano / Troll
My AC strainer basket, really more like the plastic bottom became very brittle and deteriorated. I bought a new Perko basket & installed it. In 3 months it showed a lot of corrosion, holes and rust at the welded seam. Up until now I had no problem with the old one & the filter housing itself is bonded. I really think it might be a cheap piece of stainless.
I put another new one in & this time cut up a zinc anode & placed it in the basket. Time will tell.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG-2658 (1).jpg
    IMG-2658 (1).jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-2659 (1).jpg
    IMG-2659 (1).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 13
I have also have trouble with the new baskets. They are poor quality. If you can get a plastic one that fits it might be better. I can’t locate plastic to fit mine.

If this zinc trick doesn't work I may try that.

If this continues to be a problem consider replacing the whole strainer with a Groco. Groco makes baskets in stainless, monel and plastic.

Highly recommend the Groco strainers with a plastic basket. My boat came with a Groco and a stainless steel basket. The stainless died from electrolysis after 13 years. I replaced it with a plastic (nylon I believe) basket which shows no signs of deterioration after 6 years. It sees a lot use as it filters the water for my air conditioner, engine, and generator.

Ted

I replaced my Greco with stainless basket -fell apart in 1st year like yours. Replaced with the plastic version & now fine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom