Old 01-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post

This is an HVAC contractor in Pinellas county Florida they do not manufacture anything.

"Since 1990, Arctic Air Systems has been successfully helping Pinellas County home and business owners install, maintain, and service their HVAC equipment."

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
yep, sorry guys, thats a link to nowhere. Trying to edit without success

dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #23
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I installed two Mermaid units in my boat shortly after I built it. A 12kbtu in pilothouse, a 6k shared in fwd cabins. They have worked well for 7yrs/1800hrs travel/11,000miles. They have reverse cycle heat, and with water temp in the 40's they can freeze up. Usually the freeze up occurs right after startup, so if it makes it through the first hour, all ok. A short run in ac mode melts the ice block, still a bit of PITA. Water temps 50 up, no problems with freeze up at all. Thermostats are std house type, so that is a plus.

No repairs have been needed, except one thermostat pooped. Quiet, too. The 6k is under the bunk I sleep in. It does not wake me up.

Boat also has a bus heater connected to main engine coolant circuit, that takes care of heat when under way.

I also keep two 1500 watt cube heaters on the boat. If it is real cold outside (20F) I run one in each cabin. Toasty. The 6k is undersized for those temps.

I've done a lot of winter running, and the above combo really works.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #24
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Peter, Sorry so long in getting back. I searched as well and have Michelle's phone number in my cell. I called it and it's no longer in service. There is another highly efficient unit made in FL as well. I owned one of these as well.

Here is the link.
King Air
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #25
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
The King Air unit is still running great and it was bought in 1994. It still has the original compressor too.

I always black flush my units. Where the overboard through hull is I made a hose fitting for it and run fresh water back through the unit and sea strainer. It keeps silt and crud from building up inside the condenser which will lead to high head pressure on the compressor and help blow it.

So I'm told.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #26

City: Redlands
Thanks for this thread! Timing is perfect. My aft unit (16,000 btu) is kaput. The tech who came out two weeks ago wanted $3,600 to replace it. The forward unit (10,000 btu) is old enough that parts are no longer available but it still runs.

It looks like I can get replacement units for both for about what I was quoted for one. Of course that means DYI but the replacement seems fairly straight forward. The Kingair says that it comes pre charged.

So what is the collective wisdom on installing a replacement myself? Doable?

Thanks,
Arch
Old 01-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #27
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Thanks for this thread! Timing is perfect. My aft unit (16,000 btu) is kaput. The tech who came out two weeks ago wanted $3,600 to replace it. The forward unit (10,000 btu) is old enough that parts are no longer available but it still runs.

It looks like I can get replacement units for both for about what I was quoted for one. Of course that means DYI but the replacement seems fairly straight forward. The Kingair says that it comes pre charged.

Thanks,
Arch
Shouldn't be a problem with very basic DIY skills
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #28
FF
Guru

No sweat , just never ever >test< the fittings that hold in the charge to see if anything is there!!!

Just put it in and make the last connections and enjoy.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #29
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Depending on the access it can be a very easy job.

I received a bit over 30 bucks from the salvage yard when I scrapped the old units. Yes they recycled the refrigerant, that's the reason I scrapped them rather then tossing them in a dumpster, please do the same.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I took mine out and it did not take more than 45 min. The replacement unit should not take that much more to install.
I have one that has a seized compressor but the rest is OK. Now what to do with it?

sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote