Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
RE: Abandoning a Thru Hull

Back on topic, I remember reading from an expert that removing a thru hull and repairing the hole is a lot more difficult than it would seem. Just filling the hole with fiberglass (or any substance) does not provide the same strength as the original fiberglass. To properly repair the hole, the area would have to be ground out and tapered to quite a large area, then filled in with fiberglass and finally gelcoat or paint.

It seems, the most practical repair is to keep the thru-hull in place and cap it off on the inside of the hull with a properly sealed threaded bronze cap.

It made sense to me reading it.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #22
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

AllFor what it's worth, I removed a two inch thru hull eight years ago that led to a keel cooler. At the advice of the fellow installing my new engine, we did as a couple of you mentioned, and ground a taper into the hull that extended six inches out on all sides, both inside and out. This took us down to only about a half inch thick hole and about an inch of new glass depth in the middle. I check these patches from the inside any time I am in the engine room. I also look it over when hauled out. In all this time I have seen no sign of any movement, separation, etc. I believe, know what I do about fiberglass that it's as strong as the original.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #23
Guru

"Back on topic, I remember reading from an expert that removing a thru hull and repairing the hole is a lot more difficult than it would seem. Just filling the hole with fiberglass (or any substance) does not provide the same strength as the original fiberglass. To properly repair the hole, the area would have to be ground out and tapered to quite a large area, then filled in with fiberglass and finally gelcoat or paint."

That is precisely how I have filled all my thru hulls over the years and on different boats. I only use plugs at times to make up some of the space. I always overlap the "patches"
I would maintain that my repairs are sound.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:21 AM   #24
FF
Guru

"Just filling the hole with fiberglass (or any substance) does not provide the same strength as the original fiberglass."

Don't run aground so the weight of the boat rests on the removed thru hull, if you are un-shure of your GRP ability.

Most repairs will have a single layer of glass on the outside (minimum) and about 1/4 inch thickness over a reasonable area on the inside.No problem unless point loaded.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

I was taught, when repairing fiber glass*to feather out 6 times the hole diameter for* making minor non structural repairs.* If you have a 1" hole you feather*out to 6".* You then do your layup*with the large patches first going to smaller.* Do not lay*up to many layers at once, 5 or so maximum*at one time.* You can*get an exothermic reaction that can weaken the catalyst.* There's a little more to it than this but it's not hard just dusty and time consuming.

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote