Old 10-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
RE: Abandon Ship Bag

For stopping power, one wants a heavy, large bullet with high energy that doesn't completely penetrate the target and so it absorbs all the energy.* A higher velocity rifle such as a 30.06 may have*more energy*but it more likely to pass through the animal than a 12-gauge slug, although bullet-construction choice will have significant effect.

You shouldn't be shooting bird shot in a shotgun for bears.* Best is a slug or perhaps a shell with several*large buckshot.* So, there will be no or little bullet spread at close range and*the shotgun should be aimed rather than merely pointed.* Best to have front and rear iron sights*instead of*relying on a small bead at the muzzle.

It amuses me to see in movies people being shot, usually by a 12-gauge shotgun or 45 Colt, are flung backwards hard enough to crash through windows, etc.* There is*as much energy pushing on the shooter's shoulder/palm as there is in the bullet hitting the target (leastwise as it leaves the muzzle).* Don't expect your bear to instantly lose its momentum when shot.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

Just meant to say it tells what caliber and type of gun will kill a large bear.
*Not on how to hunt a bear.

*?? Did you read the document?

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #23
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Abandon Ship Bag

Yes.
*It says what type of ordnance is best. What will stop a large bear.
It also goes on to say that most people unless accustomed to such large weapons would have trouble using them.*

If you have ever shot a large bore rifle you would know what*is mean.
I regularly hunt with a 30 06. I have taken large bull moose as well as caribou with it. I now shoot a 7mm Remington. I have also acted as back up on numerous bear hunts on Kodiak Island as well as in the Wrangle St Alias mountain range. The hunter (the one with the tag)*shoots first then everyone else..

I Would not advise anyone not proficient with firearms to carry other than a shot gun for protection in bear country. A fish and game officer or other wildlife official would be a different matter. Most are required to carry firearms and know how to use them

I shoot all my weapons regularly and*I am very proficient with my hand gun.
*What I carry is my choice.

If I am missing something here please enlighten me.

I guess*I don't get your point.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 7th of October 2010 06:21:28 PM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Abandon Ship Bag

The main point in all this to remember is that the goal is to not shoot the bear. We are invariably the trespassers here, not the bear, and in my book the back country we are in is theirs, not ours. But then I'm a sentimentalist when it comes to animals--- I let our dog sleep on our bed which I realize is a horror to some of you

Almost everyone who has seen a bear--- black, cinamon, brown, grizzly, or polar--- in its natural environment is impressed with how magnificent a creature they really are. It's been over two decades since my "encounter" and I still feel very bad about what I did. *From my point of view I had no choice but I view myself as being the bad guy in that situation, not the bear.

Yes, they're dangerous, they're unpredictable, they're sneaky (like most wild animals), and they may view a human as a threat, or food, and act accordingly. But that doesn't make them wrong, it makes them bears.

I have hunted moose in BC because my wife and I like eating moose. But I haven't hunted in awhile now because we came across a local rancher a few years ago who raises and sells bison and we have found we like that as much as moose (and way better than beef). But even when I was actively hunting I had no interest in hunting bear, wolf, fox, or other predators. They have a hard enough time of it as it is thanks to us.

I believe pilots and boaters (and campers and hikers) who travel in bear country and who put themselves in a position to encounter a bear have a responsibility to ensure the safety of the bears. This means doing all the things to prevent a hostile encounter. The compressed gas boat horns are great for this--- we carry them when we're in the back country and beep them off every so often even when we're in camp.

Knowing the kinds of terrain that bears like to hang out in is equally important so you can avoid them. There are publications similar to the one Rick posted about firearms that provide all sorts of good information about bear habitat, how to recognize it, and how to avoid it. I suspect they're on the web these days although I haven't looked--- we have the printed information in our airplane survival kit.

This probably sounds preachy to some of you, but I believe that it is our job to ensure the well being of the other forms of life on this planet. I don't interpret this to mean we shouldn't cut down trees or catch fish or go hunting for meat if you want to do that.* But I think it does mean to respect the animals and give them as much of a chance as we can*to hang in there and live their lives.

In the spring the bears in SE Alaska and coastal BC come down to the creek mouths to feed on the tough grasses that grow there. This (we were told by the F&G people) is to help get their digestive systems working after a winter of reduced activity. That bears like to congregate in these places is well known, and we have seen them on the creeks countless times from the plane. This knowledge does not tell me to "dinghy over to a creek mouth fully prepared to blow away a bear if it should charge." It tells me to "stay the hell away from creek mouths in the spring" or if we*absolutley have to put the plane or the dinghy in one to make as much racket on the way in as possible*(easy with the plane) to give any bears that might be there a chance to leave on their own terms.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 7th of October 2010 06:41:49 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #25

City: Seattle, Salmon Bay
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 1987 Cheer Men Marine PT42

As boaters visiting BC waters, from the south or north, I assume we would need to provide a non-resident firearm declaration at Canadian customs for a shotgun, correct? Does this usually cause any problems?
Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
Abandon Ship Bag

That's correct and it shouldn't cause any problem as long as what you're applying to import is legal. We carry some blank forms on the boat and in our vehicles. It used to be that you could simply answer Canadian Custom's questions about firearms, they may or may not have wanted to see it, and that was it. Now they want a piece of paper filled out.

Read their requirements for firearm legality carefully--- some configurations of firearm you would think would be legal may not be.**The barrel of our*riot gun is a wee bit too short for the Canadian minimum length requirement for a cut-down weapon.* But.... it was not cut down to be this short, Savage made it that way.* So in the eyes of the Canadian authorities, it's okay to bring in.* But if I had cut the barrel of a*longer shotgun down to this same*length myself, it would not be legal.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 7th of October 2010 07:13:53 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #27
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Abandon Ship Bag

Rick,* thanks for the article.* I have carried a 12ga for years in the woods, but learned a lot reading that.* ............Arctic Traveller

-- Edited by Arctic Traveller on Thursday 7th of October 2010 07:13:48 PM
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #28
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Aside from the gun question, here is my ditch bag inventory.

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="1" class="MsoNormalTable" style="border-collapse:collapse;"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" style="padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;background:#b3b3b3;padding-top:0in;border:1pt solid;">Red Parachute Flares
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;background:#b3b3b3;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Red Hand-Held Flares, SOLAS
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;background:#b3b3b3;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Orange Hand-Held Smoke Flares
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;background:#b3b3b3;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Dye Marker
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">406 Manual EPIRB
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Hand-Held VHF
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Extra Battery Pack for VHF
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Signal Mirror
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Whistle
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Horn
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Waterproof Flashlight
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Extra Batteries - AA
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Extra Batteries C
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;background:#b3b3b3;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Chemical Lightsticks
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Strobe Light
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Hand Compass
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;background:#b3b3b3;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Cigarette Lighter, Butane
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Gallon Zip-Lock Bags
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Swiss Army Knife
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Leatherman Tool
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Capalene/Polypropylene Underwear
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Sun Block, SPF 30
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Vaseline
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Sunglasses
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Survival Blanket
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;background:#b3b3b3;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Small First Aid Kit
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Copy of Passport / Drivers License
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Cash
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">12 Gage Flare Gun Kit
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">12 Gage Flares Current
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Waterproof Notebook
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">USCG Fishing Kit
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Katydyn Water Maker
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Magnifying Glass
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Distress Flag, Plastic
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Water, 125 ml / 4 oz.
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Survival Rations, 2x1000 cal
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Skyblazer XKT flares
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Orion Dye marker
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Bristol Smoke Flare
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Bristol Hand Held Flares
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Motion Sickness Dimenhydrinate 50 mg
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Sunblock 30 SPF, 2 oz.
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">First Aid
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">1 X 3 Bandaids
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Triangular bandage
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Antiseptic Towelettes
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">First aid / burn cream packets
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Bandage compress, 4
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Gloves, blue surgical
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Book, first aid
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">

</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;background:#b3b3b3;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">(Vacuum Packed)
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Keith, how big of a bag will fit all that?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:08 AM   #30
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

It's just one of the standard orange floating ditch bags, can't remember the brand name. Of course the GPIRB is in a bracket on the wall as is the handheld VHF. I've also thrown the thing in the pool to make sure it floats with all that stuff in it and it does. I guess I should have copies the quantity column, but I wasn't sure the table would copy and paste as well as it did.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Kieth, that is a ditch bag I can relate to!* We've no need for guns for shooting bears down here!* that is pretty similar to what we carried in our ditch bag on the way to Hawaii.* we had a little bit more water and we had some power bars and other energy bars but otherwise it was almost the same.* Our Givens life raft also has food and water in it, as well as seasickness pills and some other survival stuff.* We haven't decided if we will put the Givens on our trawler or get something more compact (it is an 8 man in a hard shell, we are thinking of a 4 or 6 man valise).
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #32
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:

We haven't decided if we will put the Givens on our trawler or get something more compact (it is an 8 man in a hard shell, we are thinking of a 4 or 6 man valise).
Prior to downsizing your raft, I'd recomend you contact Sal at Sal's inflatable boat sales in Alameda and pay him a visit.* Ask if he can inflate a four man raft for you, and then spend half an hour in it.* I think you will find the space available is far better suited for one or two max. Most people are very surprised at how confining rafts really are.* Sal's a great guy, and will give you a lot of good information.....Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:

*We haven't decided if we will put the Givens on our trawler or get something more compact (it is an 8 man in a hard shell, we are thinking of a 4 or 6 man valise).

We had a six man life raft for 10 years when*cruising with just Lena and I.* We had been warned by 2 different companies during recertification not to go any bigger (the raft was getting old and we were looking to upgrade).**It was OK for coastal stuff but for open oceans there were 2 issues.* The larger rafts are designed with a certain amount of body weight to keep them on the water (not to blow over).* This is in addition to the the baffles under the raft that trap water.* The other issue with*the larger rafts,*they*are*more difficult to right, should the*raft*blow or roll over.**The one issue we had with the 6 man raft was*the weight.* We never had to deploy it but in storm conditions it would be difficult at best to step "up" to the*life raft.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Paz, BCS, MX
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:

Pineapple Girl wrote:

We haven't decided if we will put the Givens on our trawler or get something more compact (it is an 8 man in a hard shell, we are thinking of a 4 or 6 man valise).
Prior to downsizing your raft, I'd recomend you contact Sal at Sal's inflatable boat sales in Alameda and pay him a visit.* Ask if he can inflate a four man raft for you, and then spend half an hour in it.* I think you will find the space available is far better suited for one or two max. Most people are very surprised at how confining rafts really are.* Sal's a great guy, and will give you a lot of good information.....Arctic Traveller

thanks AT, that is a great suggestion for me to consult with Sal as to what the most appropriate raft would be to meet our needs!** Sal has re-certified the Givens twice, plus added a hydrostatic release to it*and my husband has participated in one of Sal's life raft demos where my husband jumped in to the water at our marina and climbed into a raft Sal brought.* It was pretty*awesome to*actually SEE the whole process.**

Larry that is an EXCELLENT point about the size--too big can be an issue the same as too small!!
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:02 AM   #35

City: Southampton
Vessel Name: ANDROMEDA
Vessel Model: MAINSHIP 400

BURNT TOAST FOR SEASICKNESS.
there is more to to abandon ship
You have now to do with stress and may be injury or the death of another, if you have to abandon ship.
this is not pretty no jokes please
SOMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #36

I am looking for companies that build small size sea going commercial fishing trawlers.Can you someone please help with this
aprest5159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #37

I am looking for companies that build small size sea going commercial fishing trawlers.Can someone please help me with this
aprest5159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #38
FF
Guru

Considering the state of the used boat market , I suggest you go to Boats and Harbors , a magazine and troll the used stuff.

If not in their listings , use the commercial boat brokers that abound.

There are lots of really cheap boats (forced buy out) in Canada that can no longer fish in CN waters.

Hopefully that wont be a problem.

Conversion to a yacht , is usually a very poor choice as a "yacht" trawler and working trawler have almost nothing but the name in common.

What is the boat for?

FF is offline   Reply With Quote