Old 09-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
[QUOTE=Andy G;265088]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty;265047[B
]Like posts 34 & 35. Perhaps I should insist that the yard, at its' expense, fill up the tank for the final flush with 120 gallons of a good bourbon of my choice. [/B]

That won't work. To overcome the detergent issues you need a peat product.

The best place in the world to find that is on the Isle of Islay, off the west cost of Scotland. Don't get the home brand product though, single malt is best.
Sorry. I am a Bourbon/Sour Mash man through and through and have long and happily experienced its corn based, multifaceted usefulness. Also, switching to a juice made by skirt wearing, sheep buggerers could seriously endanger my status as a genuine Jack Daniels landed gentry Tennessee Squire. (I have a genuine paper deed attesting to this courtesy of the influential patronage of Moonstruck)

Old 09-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #42
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Like posts 34 & 35. Thanks guys. Especially the tip on rinsing one's mouth out with a good stiff drink. Perhaps I should insist that the yard, at its' expense, fill up the tank for the final flush with 120 gallons of a good bourbon of my choice. Then I'd have to make the agonizing choice of do I really want to flush it all out at once, or sip by sip.
Excellent approach! In that case, to safegard against any error in judgment, I would invite as many of us over as possible to sample those contamination levels.

I have to agree.....your attitude is commendable. Still, a call to your insurance agent might get an important asset on your side, if things aren't addressed as needed.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #43
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Still, a call to your insurance agent might get an important asset on your side, if things aren't addressed as needed.
Thanks. I will do that. Don't know if a situation such as this is covered but it can't hurt to call to find out.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #44
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Thanks. I will do that. Don't know if a situation such as this is covered but it can't hurt to call to find out.
It would DEFINITELY be covered by the yards policy.........
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #45
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I asked an underwriter at my insurer ( BoatUS )what to do if something happened while being repaired and was told its best to call them no matter what. BoatUS has stated they will intervene on my behalf if needed in these situations regardless who pays to be sure I'm made whole.

Perhaps if Pau Hana sees this thread he can verify.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #46
Guru

I hate to say I agree...... But, even Lawyers have their useful times! :-)
Old 09-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #47
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
[QUOTE=Andy G;265088]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty;265047[B
]Like posts 34 & 35. Perhaps I should insist that the yard, at its' expense, fill up the tank for the final flush with 120 gallons of a good bourbon of my choice. [/B]

That won't work. To overcome the detergent issues you need a peat product.

The best place in the world to find that is on the Isle of Islay, off the west cost of Scotland. Don't get the home brand product though, single malt is best.
Ya, too bad you don't know anybody in that part of the world on this forum who just cruised over there.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #48
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
...even Lawyers have their useful times! :-)
Hey, I used to resemble that remark!
Old 09-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #49
TF Site Team

Oh crap! I thought the 'hatty' of 'dwhatty' was New England-speak for 'hottie'! You're not 'D W Hottie'? (Well, maybe to Emily you are...especially in that pink hat!)

Old 09-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #50
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I have to agree.....your attitude is commendable. .
Are the tank fills marked? Did they add Biobor or some other fuel treatment too?

Me, I'd have insisted that the tank be pumped out and cleaning begun immediately whether or not they had to stay to midnight. The yard I normally deal with would have done it too as this is not a trivial issue. But why were they fueling at all - gross negligence?

You are a lawyer as I recall so I'm sure you know of issues going forward.
These guys must be really good clients.

A few years ago a friend asked me to check out where the gas smell at his Lake Powell Bullfrog lakeside rental dock was coming from. Turns out the local dry land storage guys had gotten his boat ready as requested and mistakenly filled the waste tank with gas. Every time his wife, a heavy smoker, went to use the head the gas smell appeared as the vent tube spilled out the, ahem, crap.. At about 10 PM the boat was hauled the 10 miles back to the dry land guys where they worked all night righting the wrong. I was there and you can imagine the jokes, and relief for those of us that were docked next to them.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #51
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Oh crap! I thought the 'hatty' of 'dwhatty' was New England-speak for 'hottie'! You're not 'D W Hottie'? (Well, maybe to Emily you are...especially in that pink hat!)

Hey! I sent you that pink hat and I have a picture of you wearing it to prove it. I'll bet Meg loves you in it.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #52
Guru

City: NC
When you get the water tested, make sure they specifically test for diesel fuel. Water tests, including from local government, are limited in the number of contaminants that are in the test. You can have water tested for danged near everything but that gets expensive. Local government tests are looking for things like ecoli and contaminants that might be in the local aquifer. The test may or may not look for diesel fuel.

You really need to make sure the lab test for the one contaminant you know is an issue.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #53
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
When you get the water tested, make sure they specifically test for diesel fuel. Water tests, including from local government, are limited in the number of contaminants that are in the test. You can have water tested for danged near everything but that gets expensive. Local government tests are looking for things like ecoli and contaminants that might be in the local aquifer. The test may or may not look for diesel fuel.

You really need to make sure the lab test for the one contaminant you know is an issue.

Later,
Dan
Will do.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #54
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
If you can get them to fill it with Jack I will personally come there with several of my best drinkin buddies, who are experts on anything that can be or should not be added to JD. I also am a deed holding Jack Daniels squire. One of my asteemed drinkin buddies is the president of the Montana Cattlemens Association and the secratary of the American Cattlemens Associaton. Bill Donald. He recently bought a barrell of Jack at the distillery for $20,000. Sold it at a cattlemens fund raiser and made $20,000 over the purchase. I hunt on the WD ranch and Bill and I had "super speciall select" JD with ice cream and apple cobbler. Good stuff. He will accompany me to your boat.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #55
TF Site Team

Quote:
Hey! I sent you that pink hat and I have a picture of you wearing it to prove it. I'll bet Meg loves you in it.
Yes, I have to admit, she thinks it's a 'hottie dhatty hat'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
If you can get them to fill it with Jack I will personally come there with several of my best drinkin buddies, who are experts on anything that can be or should not be added to JD. I also am a deed holding Jack Daniels squire. One of my asteemed drinkin buddies is the president of the Montana Cattlemens Association and the secratary of the American Cattlemens Associaton. Bill Donald. He recently bought a barrell of Jack at the distillery for $20,000. Sold it at a cattlemens fund raiser and made $20,000 over the purchase. I hunt on the WD ranch and Bill and I had "super speciall select" JD with ice cream and apple cobbler. Good stuff. He will accompany me to your boat.
I hope he brings some Montana Steak, too!! It's the best in the West!

Old 09-07-2014, 03:46 AM   #56
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Yes, I have to admit, she thinks it's a 'hottie dhatty hat'. ...
Al proudly wears that hat.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #57

City: Edmonds
You mentioned using a fuel pump to move fuel between tanks. Is it possible the yard guys transferred fuel to the water tank (in error) while emptying a fuel tank in order to put a sight tube in? If it were my boat I would file a claim with my insurance company. They will make it right and if necessary they will subrogate. That way it doesn't get personal with you and the yard.
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #58
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Maybe after installing the valves on the fuel sight tubes they refueled using the water fill instead of the fuel fill. The fuel would float on the water and end up in the top of the water sight tubes.
Now I understand how the diesel got in the water tank - they were looking for a place to park the diesel fuel when adding the fuel sight gauges. I can't imagine they pushed it in through the potable water system - but if they did, that might get it into the sight gauge. I think that might be what happened, and it would mean that the plumbing would be compromised.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #59
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Now I understand how the diesel got in the water tank - they were looking for a place to park the diesel fuel when adding the fuel sight gauges. I can't imagine they pushed it in through the potable water system - but if they did, that might get it into the sight gauge. I think that might be what happened, and it would mean that the plumbing would be compromised.

What they did, and I saw part of it (but obviously not all of it), was work on one tank at a time.

The two tanks were each only about 1/4 full.

They pumped all the fuel directly from the port tank's sump drain valve fitting over to the starboard tank's sump drain valve fitting using a small electric portable pump inline on a hose connected between those two sump valves fittings.

They then installed valves on the port tank sight tube.

The port tank process was all I personally observed, but was told by the service manager that they just reversed the process to do the sight tube on the starboard tank.

It will be interesting, and possible entertaining, Monday morning when I go down to the yard. Sort of a whodunit. Let's what the mechanic who actually did the work says he did with the second tank.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #60
Guru

The interesting thing to see, did they itemize the bill for a fueling charge? How much did they add? what is the level of the tanks currently?
Even with the water tank being partially filled with water, once they filled it with diesel, the sight tube would have filled from the top, thus the level in the sight tube.

I would disconnect the supply fitting from the tank, and cap it, to completely eliminate the passage of fuel into the boats potable system. Let them deal expressly with the tank, and its contamination.