Old 08-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Nameless
Vessel Model: 22' Sisu
98 OA in Washington

Saw this yesterday morning come up and called my Broker first thing. Offer submitted and today heard it's been accepted.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998...dard%20listing

Now comes the survey, sea trial, and mechanical. Any feedback on what to watch for specifically for Ocean Alexanders or 20 year old Volvos would be great!

Old 08-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #2

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
Looks very nice! Hope the survey goes well.

av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #3
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Good luck.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:53 AM   #4
Guru

City: Caimanera
Vessel Name: Seafarer
Vessel Model: 1926 56í Winslow RDMY
Nice looking boat. Where will you be moored?
Old 08-05-2019, 08:11 AM   #5

City: Lakeland
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Nice looking boat. Keep us posted on how the process goes.

We have the same engines. If they have been properly maintained and run at reasonable RPMs, no real issues with them. Pretty easy to maintain.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Hope all goes well on the purchase, enjoy!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:08 PM   #7
Guru

More than likely close to Portland. As much as we love the San Juans we'll be up there at least every two years. Possibly every and enjoy a nice long vacation. So many places on the list to go and never enough time.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:09 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Nice looking boat. Where will you be moored?
Maybe we can catch up to you somewhere on the water and enjoy dinner/drinks!
Old 08-07-2019, 05:16 AM   #9
Guru

City: Caimanera
Vessel Name: Seafarer
Vessel Model: 1926 56í Winslow RDMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Maybe we can catch up to you somewhere on the water and enjoy dinner/drinks!

Great idea!
Old 08-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #10

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Tempus Fugit
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 30 Sport
We are 6 years from retirement in Bellingham, live our Tolly 30 but as we look ahead for our next boat keep running into OAs. Do you know what kind of slow cruise efficiency she can do? Love the cockpit, good luck
mpstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #11
Guru

I havenít studied it enough to be 100% confident but at displacement speeds I would think about 1 gallon at 7 - 8. But itís just a guess.
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #12
Guru

There are smarter guys on here that can break down the amount of HP needed and calculate it pretty accurately. Maybe one will chime in.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:19 PM   #13
Guru

So we saw the boat yesterday. Spent quite a bit of time going over her just doing an initial once over and the minor/major things found
1. Front of the windshield to the bow of the boat the gel coat was thin. Thin enough you can see whatever they layered up under the gel.
2. Crack in cockpit floor about the size of a baseball where the gel coat is lifting. Broker used a moisture reader and says the core isn't wet.
3. Front windshield area interior where the glass meets the dash has some minor panel damage and they used cetol to cover it. Looks very poorly done as the rest of the interior is satin.
4. Salon floor is in poor condition, open gaps between the teak parquet flooring (minor but non the less its there).
5. Mechanical - water pumps leaking slightly have caused minor rusting to occur on that side of the motors. Various hoses/lines need to be replaced.
6. Swim float has crack right where you step and the tread is compromised.

Not sure why but the house has been painted at one point and time. (It wasn't done really well but it's livable)
Old 08-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #14

City: PDX
Vessel Name: Lady Anne
Vessel Model: GB 52 Europa
OA had some gelcoat cracking issues in this time frame. This is probably why the house was repainted.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #15
Guru

I am coming to terms even though I really like the OA and would love to own one this one might not be for me. The boat is telling me a story - it really hasn't been kept. Lots of features my family really would like but it says, I haven't been looked after. At least not to the level I would expect to see an OA.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #16

City: Lakeland
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Quote:
I am coming to terms even though I really like the OA and would love to own one this one might not be for me. The boat is telling me a story - it really hasn't been kept. Lots of features my family really would like but it says, I haven't been looked after. At least not to the level I would expect to see an OA.
Tough dealing with such realities when you really wanted to like the boat. From the sounds of it, your assessment is probably spot-on and your decision to walk is a reasonable one. If you found those items in your walk through, imagine what still remains hidden.

On to the next one.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #17

City: PDX
Vessel Name: Lady Anne
Vessel Model: GB 52 Europa
There will always be some cosmetic issues in a 20 year old boat. There may be a more perfect one out there but it will go for $100k more. If you like the boat and the boat overall is sound, make an offer that accounts for fixing some of the cosmetic issues. You might be surprised at the price you can get the boat for. OAs are not perfect, but they are generally quality boats. The best way to buy a boat is when you are not totally head over heels.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #18

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Quote:
So we saw the boat yesterday. Spent quite a bit of time going over her just doing an initial once over and the minor/major things found
1. Front of the windshield to the bow of the boat the gel coat was thin. Thin enough you can see whatever they layered up under the gel.
2. Crack in cockpit floor about the size of a baseball where the gel coat is lifting. Broker used a moisture reader and says the core isn't wet.
3. Front windshield area interior where the glass meets the dash has some minor panel damage and they used cetol to cover it. Looks very poorly done as the rest of the interior is satin.
4. Salon floor is in poor condition, open gaps between the teak parquet flooring (minor but non the less its there).
5. Mechanical - water pumps leaking slightly have caused minor rusting to occur on that side of the motors. Various hoses/lines need to be replaced.
6. Swim float has crack right where you step and the tread is compromised.

Not sure why but the house has been painted at one point and time. (It wasn't done really well but it's livable)
We have a 440, which had two of your stated issues. Not a really big deal to fix them if you're handy and so inclined.

The non-skid on the bow was applied after the hull came out of the mold. It's a light blue in color. I think it was subsequently painted, not gelcoated. Took me a week to sand, mask and paint ours with Interlux perfection. About $300 in materials. Not a deal killer in my opinion.

Investigate what's under that crack in cockpit floor. Might be an obstruction and not all that big a deal to repair permanently.

The area beneath the windscreen is a recurring maintenance spot...especially in cool damp climates where moisture condenses on the aluminum window frames and drips onto the wood. If the boat isn't kept heated or air conditioned it's just a fact of life. I've redone ours twice. Re -varnish and then cover the area. Not a big deal. A big deal is leaking side windows which is a common problem on other brands of Taiwan boats.

Throw a carpet on the floor. I have't seen the parque gap problem on our boat...but not really a sign of neglect. Seems a so-what issue in the big scheme of things.

Look under the area of the crack in the swim platform. Probably a support bracket under it. Likely the platform was dinged backing into a slip and cracked around the bracket. Not uncommon. Easy enough to remove and have repaired. Grind off the raised non-skid if necessary and apply one of the generic products.

You could have a diamond in the rough staring you in the face. I wouldn't dismiss this boat.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsholz View Post
There will always be some cosmetic issues in a 20 year old boat. There may be a more perfect one out there but it will go for $100k more. If you like the boat and the boat overall is sound, make an offer that accounts for fixing some of the cosmetic issues. You might be surprised at the price you can get the boat for. OAs are not perfect, but they are generally quality boats. The best way to buy a boat is when you are not totally head over heels.

Sounds advice. I am not looking for perfect. Non of my previous boats or homes have been. Just looking for one that has been looked after. These engines have needs and are very expensive to replace or rebuild. If the outside tells and story the inside is probably the same.
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #20
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Think more like 3-4 GPH at 8 knots.

I hear you about "coming to terms." I am an engine perfectionist and would walk from ANY boat with leaking water pumps rusting the engine.

rgano is offline   Reply With Quote