Old 04-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. sbg. Hahaha....You're smart to bail out...I anticipate this will go on for another 200-300 posts. ONE thing that has NOT been mentioned and I think is most important, irrespective of the dick waving, is CAN YOU STILL GET PARTS for whatever size engine you choose? Are the parts reasonably priced and readily available?
That's all I have to contribute.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Marin, If hull speed bothers you so much, why don't you loosen up the purse strings, put a pair of 300+ HP in your boat, and make it plane. Until your boat gets on top, you're just another displacement vessel plowing in denial.

Ted
We have a boat that cruises at 30 knots. It's our PNW boat that's the annoying creeper.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #23
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
This slow speed guy is sometimes a little dense, but the site is still called "Trawler Forum"? Right?
Old 04-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
The answer to the original question is simple, if a single 120 hp engine can move the boat along adequately, then twin 80 hp engines should do the same.

As long as you only want to wake surf and not water ski.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
This slow speed guy is sometimes a little dense, but the site is still called "Trawler Forum"? Right?
Correct, but I'm still waiting to hear from the shrimpers and langoustine fisherman. Particularly the langoustine guys from northern Scotland. But so far the only posts on here are from a bunch of people with little cabin cruisers. If these are the only folks who are going to post here then I think the forum should be renamed to reflect that.

It's certainly not a "trawler" forum.

I expected to see discussions about what's the best make of net reel or what's the best shape for an otter door, not about pathetic little 80 and 120 hp engines that are virtually useless other than maybe to power a hydraulic pump.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Where the hell is John Baker when you need him? What Marin or anyone else for that matter "thinks" about the forum name is irrelevant seeing as JB is solely responsible for founding this place. Personally I'm happy with the name because it gives us old farts one more piece of minutiae to bitch about.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Where the hell is John Baker when you need him? What Marin or anyone else for that matter "thinks" about the forum name is irrelevant...
Of course, what I'd really like to call the forum is Toy Boats Forum as that's what they actually are, right? But Mark put the kibosh on that idea some years ago and I've found that his opinions are worth respecting.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I expected to see discussions about what's the best make of net reel or what's the best shape for an otter door, not about pathetic little 80 and 120 hp engines that are virtually useless other than maybe to power a hydraulic pump.
Pretty harsh there given a lot of us on this forum have lower HP diesel engines on boats that cruise at displacement speeds (what most people seem to associate with pleasure trawlers).

I just have a REALLY, REALLY pathetic 29HP diesel for my full displacement troller.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:46 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

[QUOTE=Vashon_Trawler;323287|

I just have a REALLY, REALLY pathetic 29HP diesel for my full displacement troller. [/QUOTE]

My deepest sympathies. May your cure be found quickly and your suffering end soon.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:06 PM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Vashon Trawler wrote "I just have a REALLY, REALLY pathetic 29HP diesel for my full displacement troller."

Great we've got more lower hp guys on board here ... lower than me even .. by 8hp! And I'll bet your engine isn't anymore "pathetic" than mine ... and that's not pathetic AT ALL. MY engine is wonderful and I run it at 50% load almost all the time.

Has anyone else found the quick response window missing the last several days? It may just be my air-head i-pad.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
I just have a REALLY, REALLY pathetic 29HP diesel for my full displacement troller.
That's okay, actually. We have two pathetic 120 hp motors in our PNW boat so we know your pain, although our boat is semi-planing, not displacement.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #32

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
Twin 80s are 80hp too much for a displacement trawler. The popularity of twin engines has more to do with redundancy and get home engines than power requirements. Only way you're getting on a plane is if a whale comes up under you.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:33 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophyge View Post
Only way you're getting on a plane is if a whale comes up under you.
I will remember this one for a long time!

Thanks, manyboats. By the book, I am actually slightly overpowered! Original engine was a SABB 18HP diesel, but I very much like the additional HP for emergencies. There was plenty of room in the former fish hold for a larger diesel (29HP Volvo MD2030), which has served me very well.

I love going slow and steady; and at 1/2 gph, a day trip to Egmont Key is cheaper than my family going to the movies...
Attached Thumbnails
brochure.jpg  
Old 04-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #34
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Apophyge,
We tried that but the whale came up just in front of us like about 2 feet. I was on the port side waiting to take a picture of another whale. Got a VERY close up view of his blow hole. Much bigger than I ever imagined. Humpback whales on northern BC. So we didn't get it up and plane ..... just stopped, almost instantly.

VT we are slightly overpowered too .. very slightly. What emergencies have you used your "extra" power for?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #35
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
80 hp vs 130 hp

Here's the problem in a nutshell: if you want to have the SPACE....AND...want to go FAST....you have to have BUCKS! 54' offshore is nice. If I was in that market, I like the 4788. Nice boat! And it's a good bang for the buck if you can find a good one.

From what I've seen, the KK42 is the biggest 42' LOD there is. Not seen anything yet with more space, but I could be convinced otherwise. I'm okay going 50 nm in a day at 7-7.5 kts. It's a 7.5 hr day. I'm okay with that.

I like the Pilothouse. I tried a couple of flybridge boats, but getting up and down with food was a PITA for my wife who has a bum ankle. Sitting up on the flybridge for 8 hours tires a guy out. We've got a flybridge but all the electronics are "downstairs on 14". Besides, I've got a wheelhouse and I get to pretend that I'm a seiner. I loved hanging out in the wheelhouse on a seiner and bullshitting with the guys. There's nothing finer unless it's having 8" dungeness, barbecue sockeye and a bucket of prawns in the galley of said seiner.

Lotsa real trawlers around where I tie up...west coast seine...inside seine...herring seine...bridles...jewelry..."high-lift engle"... Bobbins...and they're not otter boards...they're called "doors".

Back to the original question...a KK42 or an OA 40' Sedan with twin Lehmann 90's or twin 120's would be fine...as would a single 120 or 135, or Perkins or 210 or whatever. Do you want a single or do you want a twin. Some people have strong feelings about that. I like the single but if a very good boat came along with a twin and I was in the market, I'd seriously consider that.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #36
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The Coot's builder tried to steer me toward the super-charged four-cylinder John Deere 4045 (125 hp), but knew the normally-aspirated version (80 hp) was more than enough power. It has plenty of "perk" and is quite sufficient for reaching full-displacement speed without stressing (75-80% power) the engine.

With a hull bottom like this, planing speed is practically impossible:

Old 04-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #37
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Has anyone else found the quick response window missing the last several days? It may just be my air-head i-pad.
Seems to be right where it always has been on my iPad Eric.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:51 PM   #38
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
My 1936 Nunes Brothers raised deck 32'8" cruiser is a bit over powered too. When I repowered I could have gone with 30 hp engine, but opted to go bigger largely so I could run at lower engine rpms. Tortuga cruises very comfortably and quietly at 1800 rpms making 6.5 knots and using about 0.35 gph. I sometimes push her up to 2,000 rpms to run at a bit over 7 knots on 0.45-0.5 gph. WOT is a bit over 9 knots on flat water at 3,200 rpms.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #39
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
With a hull bottom like this, planing speed is practically impossible:
Well with a hull bottom like this, planing speed is ABSOLUTELY impossible.

About 2/3 throttle produces 7.0 kts. WOT produces 7.2 kts. Bow comes up a few inches, stern drops a few inches and the wake gets huge. I'll bet 100 more hp would only push the bow up a few more inches and bury the stern even more. It's all about the hull form. Displacement hull, absolutely.

You better like life in the slow lane with one of these, because that's all you will ever see.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2261.JPG  
Old 04-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
and they're not otter boards...they're called "doors".
Sorry dude.....

otter board
noun, Nautical 1. one of a pair of large, heavy, square or rectangular plates or boards of metal or weighted wood attached to the trawl lines on each side of the mouth of a trawl net to maintain lateral spread during trawling.