Old 09-22-2017, 11:23 PM   #1

City: San francisco
Vessel Name: Pacific Star
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
8 People on Fly Bridge?

My GB 32 weighs, all up, close to 20,000 pounds. Next month, during the SF Fleet Week air show, I will have a total of 8 people on the boat, including me.
SF Bay can get a bit windy and bumpy, and I remember reading of a few cases where powerboats capsized, apparently due to top-heavy overloading. 8 adult Americans probably weigh a total of over 1,500 pounds

So, may have your knowledge and/or thoughts about whether or not I need to limit the number of people on the fly bridge?

Thanks in advance.
Oldersalt
Oldersalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:38 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldersalt View Post
My GB 32 weighs, all up, close to 20,000 pounds. Next month, during the SF Fleet Week air show, I will have a total of 8 people on the boat, including me.
SF Bay can get a bit windy and bumpy, and I remember reading of a few cases where powerboats capsized, apparently due to top-heavy overloading. 8 adult Americans probably weigh a total of over 1,500 pounds

So, may have your knowledge and/or thoughts about whether or not I need to limit the number of people on the fly bridge?

Thanks in advance.
Oldersalt
Definitely, you do. My boat is bigger than yours and weighs 11tonne = 11,000 kg = 24,200 ibs, yet the official Queensland (Australia) Maritine Safety sticker on the windscreen says no more than 3, repeat, 3, on the fly-bidge. There is a formula somewhere you could try Googling. Sorry, a fair number will need to just stay below.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:59 AM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
It is likely occupying the flybridge will be uncomfortable due to lots of rocking, particularly if anchored. Deck-level occupation will be more enjoyable. Why the need to be seven-feet taller when the airplanes will be at least a thousand feet above? A flybridge is an annoyance in typical SF waters. Regardless, why have everyone on the flybridge anyway? Reach up and touch??
Old 09-23-2017, 06:11 AM   #4
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
It is likely occupying the flybridge will be uncomfortable due to lots of rocking, particularly if anchored. Deck-level occupation will be more enjoyable. Why the need to be seven-feet taller when the airplanes will be at least a thousand feet above? A flybridge is an annoyance in typical SF waters. Regardless, why have everyone on the flybridge anyway? Reach up and touch??
Ummm...why would everyone want to be on the flybridge? For the very reason they were designed in the first place; to get a better view!
I'm detecting a little flybridge envy here.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:12 AM   #5
Guru

City: Cleveland
Vessel Name: Irishland
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
I would say yes 8 people would be to much.

With 8 people on the fly bridge that is a great deal of weight that would be moving around.

Mark, brings up a good point!

Cheers.

H.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:28 AM   #6
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
I'm not a marine architect and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night. But I'd say this - It's like the question of, "When should I reef my main?"
Answer, "When it first crosses your mind."

Your gut's telling you 8 is too many. You're probably right.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:44 AM   #7
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
Oh geez....no....please no.... here comes the flybridge/no flybridge thread...

firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:03 AM   #8
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
My boat is smaller than yours and used to have a decal limiting the flybridge to six people. The decal has faded away but that's irrelevant.

It's important to remember that "people" can vary greatly in weight. Also remember that sitting and all rushing to one side to see something can be two vastly different situations.

Eight people on the flybridge in a slip at a marina and eight people on the flybridge in an open bay are two different situations as well.

My opinion; don't do it. Put them in the cockpit or on the foredeck.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:23 AM   #9
Guru

I don't think it would be a real problem. I've had more than that on the bridge of my old Mainship.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:28 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
My boat is smaller than yours and used to have a decal limiting the flybridge to six people. The decal has faded away but that's irrelevant.

It's important to remember that "people" can vary greatly in weight. Also remember that sitting and all rushing to one side to see something can be two vastly different situations.

Eight people on the flybridge in a slip at a marina and eight people on the flybridge in an open bay are two different situations as well.

My opinion; don't do it. Put them in the cockpit or on the foredeck.
Wes, I suspect that 6 people up on the fly-bridge of your boat, if smaller than the OP's, would be decidedly risky, as that is double that recommended for my 11tonne 34 footer. (see my post #2 above) Although I think the 'official' number of 3 for my boat is a bit conservative, and I would have no issue with 4 in smooth waters. But 8 on a 32 footer - no way.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:54 AM   #11
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Wes, I suspect that 6 people up on the fly-bridge of your boat, if smaller than the OP's, would be decidedly risky, as that is double that recommended for my 11tonne 34 footer. (see my post #2 above) Although I think the 'official' number of 3 for my boat is a bit conservative, and I would have no issue with 4 in smooth waters. But 8 on a 32 footer - no way.
The sticker said six. I had five or six up there on a short "ride" on the AICW behind Myrtle Beach, SC. It's basically a canal there. And they were "small" people. The rest were on the foredeck.

Other than the sticker, it's a judgement call. There's no way I would put six up there in open water and there are times when even I go below to run the boat.

As the captain, you are responsible for everyone's safety.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #12
Guru

8 people probably weigh in the region of 1,250-1,500lb vs boat of 20,000lb.
I think the risk you run is primarily that the boat becomes unstable because all 8 want to see the same event moment from exactly the same position on the boat. 1,500lb moving suddenly to one side would be enough (IMO) to rock the boat seriously. While this might well not be enough to cause a rollover/capsize, it could well be enough to throw unsuspecting (older/weaker?) people into the water. Then all hell will break loose!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:16 AM   #13
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldersalt View Post

Thanks in advance.
Oldersalt

If you had a 50' boat with 15' beam then the FB would probably be spacious enough to comfortably [and safely] accommodate up to 8 people max. But you don't. In your case, I believe four persons should be max for many reasons. Have the passengers alternate position in boat.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #14
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
Ummm...why would everyone want to be on the flybridge? For the very reason they were designed in the first place; to get a better view!
I believe Mark would feel uncomfortable on a flying bridge. The unobstructed 360° sky-view and the complete bow to transom corners boat view for Mark seems to go past his plate of desires. Obviously due to his statement: "... flybridge will be uncomfortable due to lots of rocking, particularly if anchored." He enjoys stable footings while aboard a boat. Unfortunately boats have natural tendency to move around a bit. that's why you get what's called your "Sea Legs!"

Why he mentions... "A flybridge is an annoyance in typical SF waters. Regardless..." is a complete wonder to me. I'd like to hear Mark expound a bit on that remark. Mark - FB being "an annoyance in typical SF waters" - What do you really mean???
Old 09-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #15
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Name:  IMG_4568.JPG
Views: 840
Size:  12.8 KB

From our 20k lbs 39 ft boat

We've done around this many at the dock but I wouldn't out on the water.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #16
FF
Guru

8 folks up top would not bother me at all.

I would watch the movement of the folks and ask they would not all rush to a rail at once.

With the open viewing area , nothing would be gained by charging from side to side .

Sea conditions would count. The extra weight up top would slow the roll , but it would go further.

I think the folks would abandon the area as the roll became a PIA , when they had to hang on.

Be observant , but it should be a nothingburger.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
15 years ago I checked with Krogen's architect and the weight limit for the upper deck was 750 lbs before stability was affected. I have frequently violated this limit (the dinghy, motor, gas and spares etc on the upper deck alone are 350 lbs) when at anchor in calm waters, but not underway.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #18
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
A few years ago a Silverton rolled over on the East Coast during a fireworks display due to too many people on the fly bridge. A similar incident occurred off Vancover Island recently when a whale watching vessel rolled over. Lives were lost in both cases.

Ferries roll over when passengers rush to one side with alarming frequency. Up top weight transfer to a lower location during blue water cruising is normal procedure. Think moment arm. Sailing racers grasp the placement of weight, see all those bodies on the high side?

In SF Bay an unsettling stray current wave can appear pretty quickly. Especially when the skipper is watching airplanes.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #19
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Why don't you call your insurance agent?
Old 09-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #20
Art
Guru

Perhaps I'm incorrect with this thought... but, in a general engineering sense... it seems to me:

Regarding same length boat...

Fairly wide waterline berth, hard chine planning hull shape would have less "roll-over" tendency that a more narrow waterline berth, soft chine full displacement hull shape.