Old 06-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
7 years without any attention or maintenance

Hi Rocky - back on deck now - slept in after watching the soccer to 0600 - we lost - heavily. Anyway, as to your stuffing box drip. See if it can be tweaked up to at least a slow 1 drip every 30 secs type rate, if not a re-pack is always worthwhile first. Why do I say that? Mine is older than yours, yet 2 yrs ago when an insurance survey indicated a new stuffing box sleeve was needed the engineer muttered about the pitted shaft, so we went with new shaft as well - and muffler, while he was down there, as that was corroded, being metal, (have synthetic one now), and honestly, when I later inspected the old shaft, the pitting was mininal. As well, it was more to do with where the shaft bonding brush arm rubbed than where it went through the packing material. I realised I spent a lot of money for nothing really, other than a certain peace of mind maybe, but it was expensive peace of mind. When doing up old boats, the old adage is especially appropriate...."if it ain't broke don't fix it."
Oh yes, one other thing.* If you do repack - or go for new shaft and then re-pack, get that teflon impregnated new stuff, whatever it's called put in.* It's great - made mine almost dripless now.

-- Edited by Peter B on Sunday 13th of June 2010 10:30:11 PM

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:38 PM   #22

RE: 7 years without any attention or maintenance

Keith you may be right on the money with this as I remember the seller making the statement he'd made numerous adjustments and ended up with this steady dripping and simply finished off with "they're suppose to drip like this."

I agree Peter, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Obviously something is going to have to be done, repacking at the very least. Big ticket item like a new shaft might prove a deal breaker for us. What does a yard charged for repacking, or is this something most do themselves?

Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -

It's not rocket science to repack the gland yourself, although I've never done it so I'm repeating what I've heard many people say. It can even be done with the boat in the water although I don't think I'd have the courage to try this myself.

Our packing glands are packed with flax, which is what they were packed with when we got the boat. Our yard prefers this to some of the newer materials. Let me put that another way--- they feel that flax does just as good a job as the newer materials. Our shafts have been repacked only once in the twelve years we've owned the boat, and that was prompted by having one shaft out to be trued and one shaft replaced rather than a problem with shaft logs dripping. But the glands run dead cold and almost never drip while running and never drip while stationary. And that's with flax.

But the newer packing materials like Gore are very good, so if they're available and the cost is not an issue you can't go wrong by using them.

The main cost of having a yard re-pack the gland is labor. It's an easy job but using the reliable "double the estimate' rule, figure two hours for the job if the person doing the work doesn't have to travel a long time to get to the boat. I don't know what hourly labor rates are like in your area--- around here they're in the $80-$100 range.

You will then need to trial-and-error the final adjustment. Run the boat a bit, stop, check the shaft log temperature, back off the adjustment nuts if it's running too hot or tighten them up if it's dripping too much, run the boat some more, check the temperature, adjust the nuts, etc. This you can do yourself if you have the right tools. There's no need to drag a mechanic around with you for a few cruises.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 13th of June 2010 11:57:54 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #24

Marin, thank you and from what you've said it doesn't appear to be a big deal at all, nor hugely expensive. This was really the only "in my face" issue I noticed on this boat. Of course, thats not to say the surveyor won't find something, but it certainly eases my mind on that steady stream of dripping.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:50 AM   #25
FF
Guru

Repacking in the water is no big deal.

The preperation is the hard part as you must know the size of the packing to purchase it in advance.

The modern packing costs a bit more , but is worth it.

Flax and tefflon can get embedded chunks of shaft material , which will score the shaft.

When working properly flax must drip underway , and unfortuniatly it will then drip when stopped , unless you have a remote grease fitting , usually a small cup and long hose, and remember to actually use it after every run.

Or have a great bilge pump/alarm setup.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
FF wrote:When working properly flax must drip underway , and unfortuniatly it will then drip when stopped
Not true.* Our boat's shaft logs have never dripped when the shafts are not turning, and the drip underway is minimal, perhaps one drip every three or four minutes if that.* Yet the shaft logs run dead cold and when we have had the (stainless) shafts pulled for truing or replacing, they were spotless where they ran through the cutless bearings--- no scoring, no pitting, nothing.* This is with flax packing.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Marin wrote:

It's not rocket science to repack the gland yourself, although I've never done it so I'm repeating what I've heard many people say. It can even be done with the boat in the water although I don't think I'd have the courage to try this myself.

I have done it with the boat in the water, its not bad at all.*

troy994719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #28
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
troy994719 wrote:

Marin wrote:

I have done it with the boat in the water, its not bad at all.*

You just can't panic when you see the water start to come in.* Have the rings cut to size and get after it.* You will be surprised*as to how little water does come in.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #29
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

It's no biggie, just don't panic. If you're really paranoid, pack some modeling clay around the outside where the shaft enters the boat.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #30

If survey goes well and no big deal breakers are revealed, our plan was ...since it was at the boat yard already hauled out for inspection purposes, we'd just have the yard put a bottom job on it, since we know its obviously going to need it and why wait and pay another haul out fee. Wouldn't it be easy then to just do the repacking at that point?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #31
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Rocky wrote:

If survey goes well and no big deal breakers are revealed, our plan was ...since it was at the boat yard already hauled out for inspection purposes, we'd just have the yard put a bottom job on it, since we know its obviously going to need it and why wait and pay another haul out fee. Wouldn't it be easy then to just do the repacking at that point?
Repack is easy out of the water as well.* As Peter said the Gore Tex will make it almost no drip if not totally non drip.

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:36 AM   #32

City: Tin Can Bay, Queensland, Australia
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee, Trawler

Here is some info that might help with a repack of the stern gland

http://www.tb-training.co.uk/10sgear.htm

http://hanschristian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1685

Do not wind the packing around and around the shaft like some pumps are packed
Each ring must be separate and the ends cut at a 45 degree or so angle
Flatten out the packing slightly with a hammer to make inserting easy and push each ring home
Stagger the ring joins

Allan
AllanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:12 AM   #33
FF
Guru

and push each ring home

A short chunk of PVC pipe cut in half the long way is ideal at seating the stuffing material.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:51 AM   #34
TF Site Team

Quote:
Rocky wrote:

Hi Rocky,
Yes, definitely, get it done while out on the hard, and if you are not confident, it is not expensive to get the yard experts to do it - or shouldn't be, and as it's something only necessary once in a blue moon, as Marin has indicated, why stress youself wondering if you did it right?* Just get it done.* It is a small but very important thing to get right.* I'm not ashamed to have others do it, that's for sure, as you won't be doing it often enough to get practised at it.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #35

Thanks to all for sharing your "how-tos" on the repacking. Will probably have the experts do it at the yard. Survey is tomorrow, so hopefully will know something definitive about this boat soon.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Also just tell the yard that you will be doing a bottom job and ot a quick haul followed by a bottom job. Just let them know that you will be having a survey done. I guess all I am saying is that there is no reason why the should charge you for anything other than a bottom job and allof your other requested services.

Also, if you are gonna have the yard to the packing, you may as well go with the goretex or the teflon packing so you won't have any leaking or have to replace it anytime soon.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #37

John,

I've told the yard all of this, i.e., that surveyor will be doing inspection, and if all looks good, will leave on the hard to have a bottomjob done. Unfortunately, this is a very small marina, this is the only boatyard and they are going to charge $350 for the haul out and pressure wash. They are the only game in town, so to speak.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #38

Quick update on today's survey. Guess we are going ahead with the purchase as the survey went well, nothing big, just some cosmetic stuff and of course the stuffing box issue we were already aware of. As to how the bottom looked on haul-out; everyone was shocked, the bottom looked really not bad at all. You definitely could see 95% of the bottom with only barnacles here and there, nothing like anyone expected. Zincs were gone, but surveyor saw no electrolysis damage. Maybe when you prepare for the worst possible scenario, it ends up being okay, not sure, but am so pleased. Could be we just got lucky or have a great spot in the Marina, as the guy handling the big lift said he'd seen boats that looked far worse and it had been less time between bottomjobs.

Okay....so now, am really getting excited....LOL
Old 06-17-2010, 06:07 AM   #39
TF Site Team

I had a feeling it might surprise......excellent news. What comment from the surveyor re the engine state Rocky?

PS, and oh yes, we expect a happy snap now.* Phone pics are ideal to post, and it's pretty easy.

-- Edited by Peter B on Thursday 17th of June 2010 06:08:45 AM
Old 06-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #40

Peter,
Surveyor's comments in the survey regarding the state of the engine were pretty short and sweet: "Started quickly and ran well." He told my husband he was impressed with the engine, didn't smoke or get hot, and he felt it was really strong and in its prime with 1998 hours. Surveyor told us the Lehman 120s were one of the best diesel out there. It was funny, the surveyor said we were purchasing this boat at such a great price, IF we didn't go through with it, he'd buy it!!! Other than the stuffing box issue, which he agreed with all of you, wasn't a big issue. His closing comment was "This particular vessel is in quite good condition, except for exterior cosmetics - a good scrub will go along way to improving her appearance. He had the usual disclaimer "without making extensive removals or opening up to expose ordinarily concealed areas, and without taking borings to determine thickness or soundness of structure and member, or testing or tightness of components."

We took some pics at the haul-out,*not sure how to post them on here.* I figured it out, they are attached in the next post.

-- Edited by Rocky on Thursday 17th of June 2010 07:13:05 PM