62 "Chantyman"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

floorme1

ILL be looking at a 1962 chantyman tomorrow to possibly purchace. I would like to know if anyone has thoughts or ideas on these boats. I know they are american marine,34.5 lf with 13 ft beam. It is a project, that runs,asking 7500.00. Any known web sites? Im in the northwest (seattle). Thanks for your help

Attachments

• lorianne dock.jpg.jpeg
    lorianne dock.jpg.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 136
  • 101_0734.jpg
    101_0734.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 151
There is at least one Chantyman in Everett, WA. I don't know who owns it but I'm told they attend the GB rendezvous each year.

Passagemaker Magazine did an article on Chanteymen in the March 2010 issue.

Why do you want to get involved in such a project? I guess my question is why would anyone spend countless hours renovating a boat that will never be worth half the money you will put in.

Just curious. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea but it's important you know what you are getting yourself into. And from the look of the boat (and from the article I read in PM), I'm not sure these boats are worth much.

It is a project, that runs,asking 7500.00.

It could be a project if you are recreating a Silk Purse.

But if the idea is only to keep it up enough to enjoy the hell out of it , its a great idea.

There are always multiple paths to cruising fun , "Bestitis" is a disease that keeps boats tied to the dock endless years .

GO NOW , is a far better concept, easy and cheap to carry out .

FF

If your the type of person that requires everything be perfect or nearly so, then the money and work to put this boat in that condition could and probably will require a financial commitment that will probably never return what you put into it. Since you consider this a project boat, then my feeling is that you intend to make that major financial commitment. Perhaps better to find a boat that more closely meets your needs both in use and condition.

However if $7500 get's you on the water and you're happy living with the condition of the boat with perhaps some minor upgrades, you really can't beat that.

timjet wrote:If your the type of person that requires everything be perfect or nearly so, then the money and work to put this boat in that condition could and probably will require a financial commitment that will probably never return what you put into it.

"Couldn't agree more! I, however, fit that description."

So when you find a "problem" , post it here before diving in.

There are enough years of pain here to steer you to the least expensive , say 1 decade "cure" rather than the hi pain, high cost yachtie solutions..

floorme1 wrote:

ILL be looking at a 1962 chantyman tomorrow to possibly purchace. I would like to know if anyone has thoughts or ideas on these boats.
If you pursue the purchase of the Chantyman you might want to join the Grand Banks owners forum (it's free) as there are people on there who know something about the boats and of course know a lot about how American Marine constructed their wood boats.* They probalbly can steer you to the Chantyman owner I mentioned earlier, and there may be more than one of them in this area.

There are two GB forums:* the one you'll want in this case is the International Association of*Grand Banks Owners (IAGBO).* The other GB owners forum is GB Beacon which is hosted by Grand Banks itself.* Both forums are worth being in but the IAGBO is the most active and there are a number of participants from the PNW.

Thanks for all the replys. I feel like I should send everyone my wallet...it would be less of a headach. Thans again!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom