Old 01-21-2015, 10:57 PM   #81

City: Kalamazoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
I don't know about "better" but it will certainly be different. Your never going to see a 2010 55' steel single engine yacht built to such a high quality fit and finish for this price again. This was a unique geopolitical (Russian owner of company) opportunity who's time has passed, the same as the Brazilian named Mares who was building big powercats back in the 90s, or as Chairman Miao (aka Chairman kitty cat) was doing with yacht building in Taiwan-both basically as hobbies and on whims. I don't see any mad fun money (every build sold at a loss) being tossed around toward boat building anymore. Cars-whether new or collecting-hell yes.
All I ment was that MIMI CAN find another boat that she Can like even better.....There is more then one great boat........

Fish Catcher Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #82
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Big time drug deals aren't done on paper either.
Except the consequence of getting shot in the head is usually a little more incentive to do the right thing than getting a threatening letter from an attorney.

Not that I'd want to live in a world like this, but imagine if the broker knew that he'd face mr-nice-guy-looking-for-a-trawler holding a '45 against his forehead by taking the sale out from under him like he did. Think things would have turned out a little different?

Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:34 PM   #83
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Facts aren't "attitude". You tell me who's building boats today in that size range willing to lose money on every build. This boat was owned by a Russian builder who finished her in 2010. Most American builders "gave it up" back in 2008-2009", although Navigator hung on until 2013, but Marshall didn't build them just for fun. The Ferreti Group and Sunseeker are now owned by Chinese. I just no longer see anybody building experiments out of their own pockets as guys like Mares, Aronow, Miao, and some Russians and Ukranians did. I personally liquidated some big Mares Cats, several big Lien Hwas, same on a 09 Fountain 48 (built in08). I sold a 2010 Meridian 58 even though Brunswick didn't build any after 08. I was trying to do the same with this Bering, but all my prospects had excuses.
Many boat builders you might think are still in business are in reality now just websites.
BUT I do see Elon Musk building Teslas and there's a dozen other guys building very high end performance cars that are yacht kind of money. Sometimes once in a lifetime opportunities are just that.

I ain't buying, what you're trying to sell me...There will be another great deal out there, just takes time and patience... Anyways, by the way that engine room was designed, the builder was better off not building. Looks like their motto was out of sight out of mind...
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #84
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
Except the consequence of getting shot in the head is usually a little more incentive to do the right thing than getting a threatening letter from an attorney.

Not that I'd want to live in a world like this, but imagine if the broker knew that he'd face mr-nice-guy-looking-for-a-trawler holding a '45 against his forehead by taking the sale out from under him like he did. Think things would have turned out a little different?
You do realize I was a Yacht Broker in Miami for 30 years (til 6/14) don't you? Isn't that scenario normal? You know what happened to Don Aronow don't you? Back in the 80's it was especially quite interesting. You must read Tim Dorsey novels to appreciate Florida. It's a trip. Anything goes, especially in Miami. Everybody is strapped. It's a fun world.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #85
Guru

Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
I ain't buying, what you're trying to sell me...There will be another great deal out there, just takes time and patience... Anyways, by the way that engine room was designed, the builder was better off not building. Looks like their motto was out of sight out of mind...
If you say so, but all the boats and classic cars exported oversea's the past ten years prove that others are faster on the draw. All us brokers WISH there were more boats out there to sell. ALL the new leftovers are gone or have rotted away. Factor in steel boats with single engines. fugetaboutit.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #86

City: Miami
I think that's why this boat languished next to million dollar sea rays that banks were lined to to loan on. Probably sold for the same price as chicken 4 to 5 bucks a pound.

Via iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 01-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #87
Guru

related, but different

In the vein of very rare late model single engined yachts 55' long there's a 2011 Navigator 55' with a single diesel for sale in Seattle that just lowered it's price to $550k. I expect it will sell soon, but due to its location likely will not be going to Australia like so many boats on the east coast. I doubt if they built more than two of these before they went out of business.
Negative? Rather narrow beam at 15', the steel Bering was huge inside due to its beam. Plus? Rather good looking boat, 55' and a very late model build. I'm NOT the listing broker.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #88
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Quote:
Those Aussies and Kiwi's move FAST. This is something I've warned repeatedly on my website and other forums. Many of them buy sight unseen and don't even survey. That's why all the best boats from the SE are now 'down under'. IF our dollar wasn't so strong now- more boats would be gone too.
I was tracking this beauty till I found it sold and went to NZ.

1983 DeFever 1983 52 Plus 7 Yu Ching Marine DeFever powerboat for sale in North Carolina
Old 01-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #89
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
PHKing funny, look what I found....
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993...s#.VMP0cYE8KrU
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #90
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
She's a beautiful boat but I don't understand the relevance as any sorta comp as we were talking leftover late model single engine boats. Your really aren't trying to compare a 2010 basically new boat with a single engine to a 1993 model with twin Iveceo engines and 3300 hours are you? There's tons of "twenty something "year old boats for sale. That's the problem with the brokerage market as most folks with cash to burn prefer as new as possible but for used boat kind of money, and few were built, and fewer still exist in the USA. There's plenty of old big boats you likely could get for free (or pretty damn cheap) if you just asked. Especially metal ones.
Lets see which boat sells first-the 2011 55' asking $550k, or this 1993 55' boat asking $595k which has already supposedly been refit (how many times by now? Things are only original or virgins once). I know that everytime I've bought an old boat, most of my time and money has been to undo the previous owners "upgrades" to start it again from scratch. On cars and boats if they don't have albums of photos showing the restoration-I assume the worst.
In ten years from now one will only be 14 years old, the other? When you purchased that lovely Nordhavn why didn't you instead buy a much older boat for more money?

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32