Old 01-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #21
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
She's in the the marina up from us, Harboure Town. Nice boat.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #22
Guru

No stabilizers though. Which would
Be a big deal breaker for me.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 01-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Mimi-beautiful boat! The listing noted "Not for Sale to U residents in US waters". Do you have to take it into international waters to close the sale?
Yes.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
No stabilizers though. Which would
Be a big deal breaker for me.
That would concern me too although their theory is that the huge keels act as stabilizers.

I would go in anticipating the need to add stabilizers as a possibility though
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #25

City: Miami
I'm pretty sure that's the same boat I looked at in 2012. I wouldn't rule her out because of her draft, she's steel after all. Looks like she still has the same fuel in her tanks that she had in October 2012 though. Interesting boat but she's now priced $500,000 less than when I saw her at FLIBS 2012 for a reason. At some price she may or may not be the right boat but you need to do your due diligence regardless.

Via iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 01-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #26
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
No stabilizers would kill the deal for me unless I negotiated a significant reduction to incorporate them. But that's me.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #27

City: Vero Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Mimi
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
I'm trying to find out everything I can about this boat, and I'm truly appreciative of all the educated comments.
Anyone have an opinion on how problematic it would be to add stabilizers to a steel hulled vessel of this size?
What about fins vs. gyro...? (There might be room for the gyro in the lazarette...)
Mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:27 AM   #28
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
I'm trying to find out everything I can about this boat, and I'm truly appreciative of all the educated comments.
Anyone have an opinion on how problematic it would be to add stabilizers to a steel hulled vessel of this size?
What about fins vs. gyro...? (There might be room for the gyro in the lazarette...)
Finally. Of all the boats I have touted (I took many photos) on my website as a best buy, this vessel has received the most inquiries, from all over the world. I've heard more interesting stories of why they're not buying her today than any other boat I've ever offered.. Heir to a fried chicken empire waiting for probate to clear, need to sell something else number one. I had a guy from France come look at her, but said her interior was "too nice". Then others have noticed her $500k price reduction and call asking "do you think he would take 50% off, isn't that normal?" Etc. So what I've learned is that for all the talk about people wanting high quality steel single screw trawlers, the boats actually selling have been otherwise. Gorgeous, as new condition. Congratulations!!
To answer your question-the yard there at the marina is a great yard who do any and everything quickly at quite reasonabe prices.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #29
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Adding fin type stablizers is relatively straightforward in steel- the hardware is simply welded in. But you need space to do it, usually in engine room. No way to tell how much stuff has to be moved out of the way until a tech crawls around in there. Engine needs a way to mount a hydraulic pump, or do belt drives.

Gyro is something I've never fiddled with. It will require constant run of the genset, but has the advantage of functioning at anchor. No expert on these.

The boat and new owner might not need stab, but it is best to know what the project will require before buying. That way if later you decide it is necessary, you know the basic project details.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:17 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Mimi-beautiful boat! The listing noted "Not for Sale to U residents in US waters". Do you have to take it into international waters to close the sale?
Also basically means that if you do decide to bring it into the US you'll need to pay the 1.5% import duty.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Cruising the West Coast
Vessel Name: Antipodes
Vessel Model: Yachtsmiths
Our boat is very similar to Mimi, we are 55' steel with an aluminum pilothouse. With bilge keels the boat is very stable at sea in most conditions. If the deal is too good to pass up (as was ours) you can add fins (or other system) later if you feel the need.

Our prior owner investigated this option and decided not to go forward. They cruised the boat from San Francisco to the Caribbean (the wrong way) then to Alaska and ended up in the Marquesas prior to health issues ending their cruise.

We also have had good experience w/o active stabilization in our cruising up and down the Pacific Coast.

That said, I'm sure I would feel a smoother ride with the fins, it's just not an issue with us as we cruise today.

Lastly, if you are working with Judy on this sale I can offer a very positive recommendation.
Rsysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #32

City: Miami
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
... others have noticed her $500k price reduction.

So it is the boat I saw in 2012. At the right price provided it fits your needs I wouldn't hesitate. Not for crossing oceans but plenty of range for coastal cruising. Hire a good surveyor who is willing to crawl the bilges and see what he finds. Just because you can put stabilizers on her doesn't mean you should. She's purpose built and designed. If you think you can improve her you should just buy her and run her for a while first. Fwiw this boat made a lot of other boats look better...to my wife. She was parked next to a Garcia and a real ships.

Via iPhone.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #33
Guru

To add a short bit, if you do end up buying the boat I would strongly suggest moving the satellite compass. Whoever installed it did it wrong and is going loose heading often.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 01-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #34
Guru

I was told that to add a gyro to a vessel that was not designed for it is a rather large undertaking as the hull needs to be strengthened to handle the loads imposed by the gyro on a relatively small area. If that was right I think it may make it way more costly than its worth. Adding stabilizers will be more cost effective. Of course gyros steady pitch and roll while stabilizers counteract roll only.

I know how my boat handles with and without stabilizers, and that's what I am basing my opinion on. Doesn't mean your boat would handle the same way, just it may be worth exploring how that boat feels in open water vs. another stabilized trawler.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:05 AM   #35

City: Kalamazoo
Quote:
I'm looking at a 55' steel hulled full displacement beast. I like everything about her, except the 6' draft. I'm in the Abacos right now and feel like she might be problematic here. On the other hand, I like knowing she has the potential to go anywhere, in any kind of seas. If her draft were 4.5 or 5', I wouldn't hesitate, but that extra foot gives me pause...
Any thoughts?
Mimi,
Sounds like you are getting a lot of good advice here and that is something I have come to truly appreciate about the members in here. Yea at times you can get a ribbing or two BUT for the most part you will get Spot On Advice !!

Now then all I have to say is..............WOW that is one sharp looking "beast" !! If she runs half as good as she looks then you got your self one awesome Boat !!
The best to you in this find
Jim
Fish Catcher Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:10 AM   #36
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Gyros handle roll. But I don't believe they deal with pitch. At least the Seakeeper does not from what I understand.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #37
Guru

Bill, you're right I should have been more specific. They CAN handle both but doesn't mean they always do. Depends on how many axis there are gyros running in I would guess.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #38

City: Vero Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Mimi
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Well, after submitting a signed offer, and having it accepted; and after having arranged for a survey and sea trial and diesel engine survey; and after rearranging my work schedule, booking non-refundable airline tickets and hotel reservations; not to mention countless hours researching, phone calls back and forth, including from the Bahamas last week while on vacation; after all that, Brad Nelson, the broker for American Yacht & Ship, sent me an email yesterday at 5pm to tell me he sold the boat to another buyer.... He said he hoped I wasn't too upset... I feel I was used and deceived, but, live and learn.
Thank you all for the enthusiastic advice and participation. The silver lining in all the disappointment was joining this forum!
Mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #39
Guru

If nothing else I'm sure you are be better equipped to continue the search. Sounds like it's time for a glass of wine and some time on yachtworld
Old 01-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Cruising the West Coast
Vessel Name: Antipodes
Vessel Model: Yachtsmiths
Quote:
Well, after submitting a signed offer, and having it accepted; and after having arranged for a survey and sea trial and diesel engine survey; and after rearranging my work schedule, booking non-refundable airline tickets and hotel reservations; not to mention countless hours researching, phone calls back and forth, including from the Bahamas last week while on vacation; after all that, Brad Nelson, the broker for American Yacht & Ship, sent me an email yesterday at 5pm to tell me he sold the boat to another buyer.... He said he hoped I wasn't too upset... I feel I was used and deceived, but, live and learn.
Thank you all for the enthusiastic advice and participation. The silver lining in all the disappointment was joining this forum!
Sorry to hear, some good friends of ours had this same thing happen to them twice when searching for their Nordhavn! Seems like there are some brokers out there that use the "a buyers flying in today" method to close a deal, what a disgrace to the profession.

Rsysol is offline   Reply With Quote