Old 01-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #21
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Bill,
Just had another look over Kevins site and in the Licensed trawler there are a few boats that would suit you in your price range and all with existing trawl gear that could be on sold and stabiliser arms and fish already fitted.

But maybe a yacht may be a better choice for your requirements.
Cheers
Benn

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Corio
Vessel Name: Kittyhawk
Vessel Model: Careel 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Bill,
Just had another look over Kevins site and in the Licensed trawler there are a few boats that would suit you in your price range and all with existing trawl gear that could be on sold and stabiliser arms and fish already fitted.

But maybe a yacht may be a better choice for your requirements.
Cheers
Benn
G'day Benn,

I had a look over Kevin's site again and there are a couple of boats that could suit my needs. On another site I also found this old lady, she's named the same as my eldest daughter, Dawn, (perhaps that's an omen) and most, if not all the work has already been carried out, from the pictures, the work is of a pretty high standard and she is in my price range. So I may take a trip up north to look her over, once I hear back from the agent.
I do have a few yachts on my list, one is a steel bilge keel/s local boat. I'm just waiting for things to quieting down around hear, it's sail week, before I contact the seller again. He's the local yacht-club commodore and is pretty busy at present. That steel double bilge keel boat was built to a high standard in 2009, then the builder passed away before he could sail it. His widow is now selling the boat with the help of her husbands mate, the commodore. The other yachts are further afield so I'll try getting to see them as time permits. One thing for sure Benn, I will not being buying in haste and repenting at leisure I'll do my best to get it right first time.

Cheers Benn,

Bill
Australia

kando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Porta-Bote

Quote:
Mate once you get north of Mackay Crocs are your big problem. RIBs (teething rings for crocs).
Porta boat in my opinion not sturdy enough for that northern work. a good tinny or a fiberglass dinghy is really the only answer once in the north.
Cheers
Benn
G'day Benn,

I just received the brochure from Porta-Bote and apparently Croc hunters up in the Top-End, in The Gulf of Carpentaria, are using porta-boats for croc hunting I reckon most of the pro' croc hunters know what they're doing so I guess a Porta-Boat does a good job in the croc hunting niche...If not, the hunters would not use them. As you know, their lives, the croc hunters lives that is, depend a lot on their gear.

Cheers Benn

Bill
Australia
Old 01-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #24
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Some commercial fishing trawler tend to be over hp for so their can drag their nets. However as a pleasure boat 350 hp is about double what is needed for pleasure full displacement hull at hull speed. Not worth installing a new engine and/or re propping. 4000 liters is about 1,000 gallons. Might get 2000 nm at hull speed, but that would be pushing it.

The Eagle is powered by a 165 hp DD 671 with a 38 prop and gets about 2 miles/gallon at hull speed. The question I would have is the engine natural or turbo. Preferable natural for slow hull speed
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #25
Guru

Mate just had a look at their web site a lot of spruiking going on there .
Portabote - Australia's most portable boat

Still give me a more solid boat when required to get about and go fishing etc in rugged country etc.
Believe the hype if you will.
Cheers
Benn
Old 01-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #26
Guru

I saw the promoters assembling/disassembling that boat at the Sydney Boat Show. They were quick, maybe a croc would be quicker, but not at the assembling. Go for something solid.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #27
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I owned an old port a boat 8' model for several years, got it as a yard sale freebie. Beat that thing up mercilessly in duck ponds around SF Bay, much tougher than I ever imagined. Lasted 8 seasons before I gave it away, no idea what became of it.

That said, when in Rome do as the Romans comes to mind... Sounds like a tinnie is your best bet.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Porta-Bote

Quote:
Mate just had a look at their web site a lot of spruiking going on there .
Portabote - Australia's most portable boat

Still give me a more solid boat when required to get about and go fishing etc in rugged country etc.
Believe the hype if you will.
Cheers
Benn
G'day Benn,

I have no wish to start a "mines-better-than-yours" slanging match but Porta-Bote has been in production for over thirty years so I think they must be doing something right but each to his/her own I say.
Have a look at this video, and pay attention to the section on how the Japanese Coast Guard tested a Porta-Bote...I would love to see the same test carried-out on a Tinnie, Wood or Fiberglass boat. Over the past thirty years there have been quite a few good reports on these Porta-Botes, published by everyday owners of those boats. I have viewed quite a number of those reports, and quite a few videos on Youtube...I have yet to read a bad report on the Porta-bote line of boats but, as I say, each to his own mate

Cheers Benn,

Bill
Australia
Old 01-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #29
Guru

All good stuff Bill and they appear to make a good point.
But for me I will stick with the tried and proven (by me and thousands of others in the North)
Porta Boat have been going for about 30 years but still don't appear to be able to convince the most of the active cruisers and workers that they are a go to boat.
hey that's just my 2 c worth.
The picture is of my weapon of choice, the sit on top is gone as not viable once north of the Whitsundays so it only becomes cargo.

Take a punt just might be worth a go.

Cheers
Benn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Edge Tracker & floats.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	26854  
Old 02-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #30
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Hey Bill,

This just come on the market recently. It might fit the bill of what you're looking for.
Used Converted Trawler for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #31
Guru

Good find Steve. Interior "decor" is "interesting", but the boat, with that engine, is worth a look, starting with the state of the steel.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote