Old 01-10-2019, 02:15 AM   #1
Guru

City: Doha
52 foot seas anyone?

Just happened to be cruising the internet this morning and noticed the weather off the Aleutians. Hmm, how would you boys with the Grand Banks or bad-ass Nordies enjoy this weather?

52 foot seas and 70 knot hurricane force winter winds!

The nice, boring Persian Gulf is starting to sound not so bad after all

Here's the link, just so you check for small-craft warning before you head out this morning for some enjoyable fishing:
https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...171.893,41.517
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 11.02.47 AM.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	84090  

makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: PNW/Seattle-ish
Vessel Name: M/V Peter Iredale ;)
Vessel Model: rusting hulk
The OP’s hubris aside, it reminds me of this vid I found before thinking about the thread of “heavy seas.” Here’s a ship we all own, with it’s bow 70’ high chopping the top 10” off waves and throwing it 400’ back. Great video:

Civilitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:32 AM   #3
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
No thanks.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:33 AM   #4
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Pretty common up there.

When stationed on Kodiak the skipper used to laugh at the guys in Miami when they were having a hurricane. He would joke that he had 3 hurricane foce stoms at the same time in Kodiaks OPAREA often multiple times a winter.

We punched through a storm where we had above gale force winds for 5 days and one day/night og 60 foot waves enroute from Seattle to Dutch Harbor.

30 footers were common in the N. Pacific, but the much smaller waves in the Bearing Sea were mord like N Atlantic waves...much more uncomfortable for their size.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:10 AM   #5
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Pretty common up there.

When stationed on Kodiak the skipper used to laugh at the guys in Miami when they were having a hurricane. He would joke that he had 3 hurricane foce stoms at the same time in Kodiaks OPAREA often multiple times a winter.

We punched through a storm where we had above gale force winds for 5 days and one day/night og 60 foot waves enroute from Seattle to Dutch Harbor.

30 footers were common in the N. Pacific, but the much smaller waves in the Bearing Sea were mord like N Atlantic waves...much more uncomfortable for their size.
Are you military?
Old 01-10-2019, 06:48 AM   #6
Guru

USCG retired.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #7
Guru

City: Pitcairn Island
I've had many times I wished it would go down to 52'.Click image for larger version

Name:	Fishing.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	84108 This isn't 52' but it eventually got to that. This is the start of the Thanksgiving storm of 1983, it blew over 100 for three days and our turkey was still dry. That's me with my hand on the gallows and the trawler is the 90' Endurance out of New Bedford.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #8
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
I've had many times I wished it would go down to 52'.Attachment 84108 This isn't 52' but it eventually got to that. This is the start of the Thanksgiving storm of 1983, it blew over 100 for three days and our turkey was still dry. That's me with my hand on the gallows and the trawler is the 90' Endurance out of New Bedford.
Yikes! Great shot!
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Pretty common up there.

While I agree that you seldom see the same seas in the Bering that you get in the Gulf of Alaska by far the largest sea I've been in was on the Grand Banks in the N. Atlantic and an equal in the North Sea. Interestingly the largest accurately recorded open ocean wave was in the central Pacific, 120 ft. it's the distance between crests that makes the biggest difference though.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #10
Guru

City: Miami
Forecasting has improved tremendously in the last 25 years or so. I remember a spring break weekend windsurfing trip that turned epic and tragic for some in 1993. The luxury of now having a 64k ft view a keyboard click away should keep most people in port unless their job requires they be out there. I wouldn’t even consider taking one of the new FPBs out in that forecast. Just because a boat can do it doesn’t mean you should. We are pleasure boaters after all and if it isn’t fun your probably not doing something right.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #11

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Fear is a fun topic. Seems it should be instinctual but it's individual.

In Shipboard Firefighting Class some of guys were skipping to the back of the line to try to avoid going in the metal box with the fire. Some were grizzled, old fishing crew who routinely faced 50 foot seas without breaking a sweat. "As long as it doesn't make me spill my coffee".

There are definitely direct-connect, visceral, panic-inducing experiences for people but they are individual.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #12
Guru

Southern Ocean is no charmer either.

The icebreaker I was on, lost the top 39 foot landing craft that was nestled with another that were lashed down 30 feet above the waterline...on the trip before mine. Thankfully my 4 crossings to Antarctica were fairly calm in comparison.

Only place on earth where the wind doesn't encounter land circling the globe. Another place where it gets ugly fast, and doesn't have to be record heights to be really ugly.

It is funny Boat, what fears can do and how different they can be.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat View Post
Fear is a fun topic. Seems it should be instinctual but it's individual.

In Shipboard Firefighting Class some of guys were skipping to the back of the line to try to avoid going in the metal box with the fire. Some were grizzled, old fishing crew who routinely faced 50 foot seas without breaking a sweat. "As long as it doesn't make me spill my coffee".

There are definitely direct-connect, visceral, panic-inducing experiences for people but they are individual.
I've never had fear but I was very concerned a few times.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:50 PM   #14
Guru

City: Doha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat View Post
In Shipboard Firefighting Class some of guys were skipping to the back of the line to try to avoid going in the metal box with the fire.

I still remember that box - wow that was fun! It was like 500 degrees in there or something
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #15
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
No problem. Throw out the sea anchor and ride it out. I'll be back in my bunk dockside.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: port orchard, wa
Vessel Name: skybird
Vessel Model: skookum/one off
hmmm...in 1954, i was on a 57ft purseiner, out of gig harbor, wa, we spent several weeks fishing in the false pass/kodiak areas, went thru false pass, then turned south to port mohler, stayed and fished a few days, then headed back to false pass... an 18 hr trip for us. after we got a coupla hours into the trip, the wind got up to over 100 mph, on our nose! we figured the waves were 50ft, with a 20+ wind wave on top! normaly with a 9 man crew, the skipper, cook, and engineer never went on wheel watch, that left 6. wheel watch was always with 2 peaple, on 3hrs, and off 6hrs...we had green water going over the top of our mast! at one point, i had to crawl back to our seine skiff, which was lashed down on our stern, and pull the plug to drain the water out...all out net was in the hatch for ballast, and the hatch was battened down! it was a trip i`ll nevr forget!!...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #17
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
I've had many times I wished it would go down to 52'.Attachment 84108 This isn't 52' but it eventually got to that. This is the start of the Thanksgiving storm of 1983, it blew over 100 for three days and our turkey was still dry. That's me with my hand on the gallows and the trawler is the 90' Endurance out of New Bedford.
I believe that picture was taken by Neal Parent of Searsmont Maine. Called “Fishing the Banks” I have a print in my office. Maybe you could sign it someday? I think that Neal was a friend of my sister who has since passed.
Cigatoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
I believe that picture was taken by Neal Parent of Searsmont Maine. Called “Fishing the Banks” I have a print in my office. Maybe you could sign it someday? I think that Neal was a friend of my sister who has since passed.
Yes it was, I think he got slightly more than he bargained for trying for pictures on that trip, blew a bit for days. I don't believe I'm celebrity enough for a signature, although my ex-wife liked them on the child support checks. Have you seen the pictures of when the storm got bad? I've seen worse farther north but that was a good one for Georges.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #19

City: Wimauma
Vessel Name: My Chele
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30
And I thought it was bad...

Anemometer blew out at 47 kt in 12 foot waves in the Gulf of Mexico. Guess it wasn't so bad after all.
shardy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:43 PM   #20

City: Kiln,MS
Whole lotta nope!

The worst I've been in was 12 to14's in my dad's 25ft Delta. The other boat that was fishing with us said you couldn't see the tops of our outriggers when we were in the trough. The most scared I have ever been was at night. We were going out of Sebastian inlet to do a night dive. Everything was going good till we got about 7 miles out. The waves started dropping out from under us. Free falling for only a second or two feels like an eternity. That was the first and only time my dad made me and my brother put on life preservers and site down behind the cabin door.

BIG CAT is online now   Reply With Quote