Old 12-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: 50' bestway for sale on ebay

Motion 30,

I think you've got a great little boat now and if you buy that big barge you're going to wish you had your 30' boat back. If you need/want a bigger boat I'd look at a 36' alternative and forget the Bestway. Just say'in.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

Quote:
healhustler wrote:
Early in my search for a trawler, I looked at a Bestway. Can't say it was the pinnacle of fit and finish, but it was a nice looking boat with a decent layout. That's a lot of boat for 45K if you get it, but I'd sure want to have a good survey. Nothing like knowing how much you're getting into. Look close at the decks. Best of luck.
*More importantly get a good surveyor....every surveyor I've had (3) has done an average to piss poor job....I think the pressure is on to get the report back and keep time ($) down when most of us could care less about 90% of what is in the report (we can figure out if lights or the GPS works) but need their expertise on figuring out if the bottom is a little wet or trashed, whether there's SOME water in the stringers or they are*shot.* I'm not sure the average surveyor gives a hoot about difficult to determine*but serious stuff*knowing their omissions insurance will cover them for the one in a hundred boats that really is a disaster.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:
Look close at the decks and the fuel tanks! You could spend another $45k just on those 2 items alone, let alone any other issues the boat may have. Sometimes it is best to look a gift horse in the mouth to make sure you have enough pasture to feed him!
*As I posted...those items are only a few thousand if you do the work yourself but those and a few other projects*can double or triple the base price in a blink if you are paying someone else to think it out and do the labor.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #24
Guru

I finally spoke with the broker... motors run good, genset works. down side.... the windows on port side leak with interior wood damage Many window leak One fuel tank is leaking Teal deck seem ok The leaking fuel tank has taken me out of the bidding Thankfully somebody else now has the high bid Thanks to all for the advice

motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote